RWC 2019

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Re: RWC 2019

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Watching the Super Rugby Final was a worthwhile reminder as to why International Rugby is a cut above Club or Provincial rugby in any of the Unions around the world.

The Jaguares undoubtedly had the benefit of great teamwork and the majority will probably figure in the Argentina 2019 RWC Squad. But the Crusaders NZ international stars like Reid, Whitelock, Moody and outhalf Mo'unga showed that international experience can't be displaced by mere teamwork.

Intensity at the breakdown, pressurising for penalties and minimising your weaknesses are integral parts of a top international team's skill-set and essential constituents for success in international Tournaments. The forthcoming Sanzar Championship will no doubt provide a clearer benchmark as to the strength of Argentina. But for now the Kiwi international players are ahead of the Jaguares, even if the concession of only one try, against the strongest NZ Province playing at home, shows the Latin Americans are catching up fast
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Jaguares would've had far more international experience than Crusaders though.

Mo'unga only has 10 caps for eg. Only Moody, Franks, Whitelock, Todd, Taylor, Read would have 10+ caps on the Saders team I think. There's probably 10 individuals on the Jags side with at least that.

I think what it really shows is that the Crusaders (and the All Blacks) are better than the Jaguares (and Argentina)! Not very insightful but very clear!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Thought it was a closer game than the scoreline suggested. I said recently that I wasn't as impressed by the Jaguares as RTB had been but thought they were were dogged and well organised on Saturday. Defensively they put a lot of pressure on the Crusaders but I thought it was done legally as opposed to the QF and SF where I thought they were offside the whole time. Their ten had a mare and the wingers finishing deserted them, whereas they'd usually be really sharp in converting any chances they get. They were unlucky with the bounce of the ball once or twice but the Crusaders scrambled brilliantly at times too. The Crusaders try in the first half was brilliantly worked but it was unlucky for the Jaguares in the sense that they weren't exactly being dominated at that point, and the penalty on HT was complete nonsense. Peyper said that there was no clear release (the pundits seemed to think it was for being off his feet for some reason) but Creevy hadn't even been part of the tackle.

Crotty and Barrett were big losses for the Crusaders but they still found a way to win comfortably. Not their best performance but they've been brilliant all season. I like how ROG often says that a lot of their play is a result of pure talent as opposed to good coaching but they're clearly very well coached. It'll be interesting to see how they do next season without Read, Franks, Taufua (absolutely brilliant signing for Leicester), Rog, and maybe others.
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

New RWC kits.....

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I'm having flashbacks to previous world cups where the players who did the ads all got injured.

The Telegraph is saying that CVC are about to invest £500m in the 6N for a 15% stake. It's behind a paywall so not sure of any other details.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Six Nations closes in on £500m deal with CVC;

BYLINE: Gavin Mairs; Mick Cleary

The Six Nations has taken a step closer to securing a historic investment, expected to be more than £500million, by signalling its intent to enter into exclusive negotiations with private equity firm CVC over a minority stake in the championship, The Daily Telegraph can reveal.

It is understood the Six Nations board made its decision at a meeting in Dublin on Wednesday. After considering offers from interested parties, including sports agency IMG, the board agreed that opening discussions to sell a minority share of around 15 per cent to CVC was its preferred option.

The six member unions are considering the proposal and are expected to give their response "within days". Given that the Six Nations board includes the chief executives of the unions of England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, France and Italy, sources say it does not expect any significant opposition.

The fact that CVC is already in advanced negotiations for a £120million stake in the Pro14 league, which is owned by the Scottish, Irish and Welsh unions, is also regarded as significant. "The Six Nations agreed a preferred direction to enter into an exclusive window of negotiation subject to the rapid board ratification of each union," said a Six Nations source.

"While we will not make any further comments on ongoing confidential discussions, the Six Nations reaffirm that the need for investment in the game is at the heart of its decision-making process."

If the board is given the green light to proceed with negotiations, likely to take a couple of months, the consequences of a deal being struck are likely to be gamechanging. Each union could receive nearly £100million from the deal at a time when even the Rugby Football Union, the world's financial powerhouse, has been forced into brutal cuts because of tough economic challenges.

A multi-million pound investment would also accentuate the financial gap between the northern and southern hemispheres and is likely to increase concerns in New Zealand, Australia and South Africa about a player drain to European clubs.

Contrary to recent reports, it is understood that there are no plans to review revenue sharing of the autumn Tests with the southern hemisphere, following the collapse of plans for a Nations Championship plan.

CVC, which submitted its original bid in March ahead of World Rugby's crunch talks over its failed Nations Championship proposal, has already secured a 27 per cent stake in Premiership Rugby this year, in a deal worth around £200million, and an investment in the Six Nations would give the private equity firm a major sphere of influence in the European game.

Sneyd leads way as Hull sink London Hull closed the gap on rugby league's top two, St Helens and Warrington, with a 35-22 defeat of Super League's bottom side, London. Six firsthalf tries and 11 points from the boot of Marc Sneyd took Hull home.

Holders: Alun Wyn Jones of Wales and Jonathan Davies lift the Six Nations trophy
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

RWC 2019

Post by neill_m »

nc6000 wrote:New RWC kits.....

At least if Ireland play South Africa in tournament, the viewer will be able to tell who is who unlike the last game in Dublin. A standard white kit similar to 2007 would do the same job mind.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Thanks 433. Have to say it makes me very uneasy that there are never any details about what CVC's investment will actually mean, almost like it's being covered up.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

nc6000 wrote:New RWC kits.....

Did the designer of the away jersey get a brief to design a new shirt for Laois? Bloody awful.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Thanks 433. Have to say it makes me very uneasy that there are never any details about what CVC's investment will actually mean, almost like it's being covered up.
It's almost like they imagine the supporters won't like what they have planned....

I'm also a bit worried by the possible concentration and integration of the various parts of rugby, that's an awful lot of clout to be throwing around. One owner dominating an industry doesn't work out well for the punters.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

fourthirtythree wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Thanks 433. Have to say it makes me very uneasy that there are never any details about what CVC's investment will actually mean, almost like it's being covered up.
It's almost like they imagine the supporters won't like what they have planned....

I'm also a bit worried by the possible concentration and integration of the various parts of rugby, that's an awful lot of clout to be throwing around. One owner dominating an industry doesn't work out well for the punters.
Yeah agreed on both counts. The global calendar coming into play might reduce whatever changes they have planned but I'm worried.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

fourthirtythree wrote:

Instinctively I would be against it but thinking about it, it might work out well for punters.

If CVC have rights to 6N, Premiership and Pro14 then they could package them all to one broadcaster. If not in Ireland/Britain then abroad.

That package might end up being beneficial to everyone. The 6N, Premiership and Pro14 get bigger audiences and more money even after CVC takes their cut.
Sometimes it's better to let a middleman - who is an expert in their field - sell your product. For broadcasters interested in rugby it would be easier buying a 3 tournament package than negotiating with 3 different tournaments separately.

They still control the majority of shares and will no doubt have looked at formula 1 and won't allow CVC to profit that much.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote:

Yeah agreed on both counts. The global calendar coming into play might reduce whatever changes they have planned but I'm worried.
This is a total sellout of rugby and can only result in higher costs to Irish rugby Clubs and fans. CVC want a return comparable to that which they earned in F1. There they put in $2Bn and walked out with $14Bn, a decade later.

The IRFU do not own Irish Rugby. They are trustees on behalf of the 4 Provinces and 294 Clubs. They have consulted neither and this decision has been taken by those with vested interests, the senior executives and senior blazers.

This is the wrong decision for the future of Irish rugby.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Just looking at the European-based add-ins to the Argentina Squad for their opening game against NZ in The Championship on Saturday, brings the full realisation how strong they have become. Saracens supply European cup-winning Prop Figallo and Stade Francais prop Herrara is also included. Toulon No 8 Isa has been outstanding all season. Bordeaux winger Cordello scored spectacular tries at EPCR and Top 14 games and Nicholas Sanchez is a fly-half any European club would sign if his pay cheque became too rich for Stade Francais.

Given that Imoff was not called from Racing 92, it's clear that Mario Ledesma thinks he has a very strong Squad preparing for this SH international centrepiece.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

SA's big men look really mobile and aggressive, don't think I've ever seen Etzebeth look so hungry for work. They're very quick off the line (although Oz are predictable) and whilst Oz have made a few breaks I'd say that that SA defence could be seriously tough to overcome in Japan when they have a full deck to choose from and have have built more cohesion.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Honestly, watching the SA-Oz game I don't think either would trouble us if we played well. Of course, if we show our 2019 Six Nations form come RWC we're in trouble.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Certainly agree about Australia, they have talent but look so poorly coached. Ball protection is one basic thing that they're really bad at.

Not sure why they'd turn down three points in front of the posts too, stupid.
Leinsterimp
Bookworm

Post by Leinsterimp »

Think SA will be very hard to beat, wouldn’t put it past them beating NZ in the group stage
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Concerning for Australia that a weakened South Africa side won with room to spare. Around 10 of the SA regulars being held back for the game in NZ on Sat.

NZ also played a weakened side v Argentina and got a narrow win.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Wales got a handy draw. And England or more likely France are in for a shocker