Jamie Heaslip

Re: RWC 2019

Post by ronk »

Complete balls up alright
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

cormac wrote:Howley sent home from RWC for allegedly contravening World Rugby's rules on betting on matches.
This is dreadful news. I don't think there's anything like match-fixing going on here, I think it's just a sad, sad story. Howley was a wonderful player and always seemed like a good guy. Very sorry for him and I hope that people aren't too hard on him.
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Post by Fan with smartphone »

hugonaut wrote:
cormac wrote:Howley sent home from RWC for allegedly contravening World Rugby's rules on betting on matches.
This is dreadful news. I don't think there's anything like match-fixing going on here, I think it's just a sad, sad story. Howley was a wonderful player and always seemed like a good guy. Very sorry for him and I hope that people aren't too hard on him.
Completely agree. Don’t know the ins and outs of this case, but gambling is an awful problem for an awful lot of people. Rob Howley was a totally joyous player and has been a very loyal (and largely silent) partner to Gatland. His record there stands up to scrutiny. For this to happen on the eve of his last tournament - ah it’s a terrible end to a distinguished stint with Wales and I just hope he goes well in the future.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

I've seen two mails from Japan in the last hour both suggesting that our back three for Sunday will be Conway, Larmour and Stockdale. I certainly hope we have either Earls or Kearney on the pitch as both have the ability to organise a back three and read opposition attacking play.

Really disappointed to hear the news about Rob Howley and share the view that this is tough on one of the "good guys" of Welsh rugby. Must be a huge shock to the Welsh rugby family.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Good news on both Earls & RK it seems:

https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2019/091 ... -scotland/
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by Ruckedtobits

I've seen two mails from Japan in the last hour both suggesting that our back three for Sunday will be Conway, Larmour and Stockdale. I certainly hope we have either Earls or Kearney on the pitch as both have the ability to organise a back three and read opposition attacking play.
If it was Conway and Larmour who would people have in the 23 shirt?
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I don't trust anything the Irish management says. I was thinking it was good news when I read it but then quickly realised that I don't even expect any of them back for Japan :lol:

I think Conway should start regardless of who's fit, he just looks really sharp right now.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

sunshiner1 wrote:
by Ruckedtobits

Chris Farrell with Ringrose covering wing
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by arsebiscuits1

sunshiner1 wrote:

by Ruckedtobits

Chris Farrell with Ringrose covering wing
Makes the most sense. If Henshaw is out for a while getting Farrell up to speed as fast as possible is important. Will be interested to see if Carberry makes the bench too.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

If you’ve Carbery and Ringrose on the bench as 22 & 23 then you’ve a lot of creativity to bring on and a lot of positions covered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Rarely can I remember a propoganda campaign like this as Ireland (Coaches and Jounos alike) talk from every side of their mouths as to what our back three will be.

If I wasn't such a conspiracy theorist, I would believe that the rest of the team will be straighforward. However, as I was born a sceptic, I suspect we may see a surprise in the backrow as Joe et al try to nullify the impact of Hamish Watson.

Either way, all will be clarified by breakfast time tomorrow. But the impact won't be evident until we see the outcome of the Blacks and Boks on Saturday.
Leinsterimp
Bookworm

Post by Leinsterimp »

Healy
Best
Furlong
Ryan
Henderson
O’Mahony
Van der Flier
Stander
Murray
Sexton
Stockdale
Aki
Ringrose
Conway
Larmour

Scannell
Kilcoyne
Porter
Beirne
Conan
McGrath
Carty
Farrell

Strong side despite the few injuries. Expected Larmour and Conway to be the other way round
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Pretty stupid to lose two guys of such experience after such a long preparation period. They didn't do it on purpose and until the Kiwis & Boks have decided their war, the only games that counts are our games against Japan and Samoa. Having left out Addison, the Head Coach has selected from the Squad available in order to affirm his confidence in those selected.

Is this pig-headed or smart selection? Who knows. What is certain is that a win with this back three will be a big boost to the the entire Squad.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

I wouldn’t be at all confident about that team. I think Scotland will have a better back row and will give our lineout a bad time of it. Those two things are essential to our game. We seem to need 70% possession to outscore Tier 1 opposition and I don’t see where that’s going to come from.

Finn Russell is a consistently good tactical kicker, I expect him to make life very difficult for our callow back three, in particular Larmour. I think Conway would be better at 15 but either way the lack of experience is a worry. Both Stockdale and Larmour have a tendency toward defensive mistakes at this stage of their careers, so I’d love to have someone experienced back there with them. We might need to keep two in the backfield, which reduces our defensive line to 13 and leaves gaps for Hogg, Watson et al. I think Farrell’s in better form than Ringrose too.

Sexton can expect to be hit late, high, from behind and any other way they can think of because they’d have no fear of Carty going up against Russell.

So yeah, lots to be anxious about there imo

On the upside, I think our scrum will have an edge on theirs, especially once the replacements come on. Hopefully we can turn that into points.
raith rover
Beginner

Post by raith rover »

Leinsterimp wrote:Healy
Best
Furlong
Ryan
Henderson
O’Mahony
Van der Flier
Stander
Murray
Sexton
Stockdale
Aki
Ringrose
Conway
Larmour

Scannell
Kilcoyne
Porter
Beirne
Conan
McGrath
Carty
Farrell

Strong side despite the few injuries. Expected Larmour and Conway to be the other way round
Dell
McInally
Nel
Gilchrist
Gray
Barclay
Watson
Wilson
Laidlaw
Russell
Maitland
Johnson
Taylor
Seymour
Hogg

Game on.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

So, if my stats are right, Jordan Larmour, as the first player named for Sunday’s game, will become the 150th player to represent Ireland at the Rugby World Cup

150 Larmour
151 Conway
152 Ringrose
154 Aki
155 Stockdale
156 Ryan
157 van der Flier
158 Stander

If used, the bench players will be 159-166 - in the order they’re subbed on.
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Twist wrote:I wouldn’t be at all confident about that team. I think Scotland will have a better back row and will give our lineout a bad time of it. Those two things are essential to our game. We seem to need 70% possession to outscore Tier 1 opposition and I don’t see where that’s going to come from.

Finn Russell is a consistently good tactical kicker, I expect him to make life very difficult for our callow back three, in particular Larmour. I think Conway would be better at 15 but either way the lack of experience is a worry. Both Stockdale and Larmour have a tendency toward defensive mistakes at this stage of their careers, so I’d love to have someone experienced back there with them. We might need to keep two in the backfield, which reduces our defensive line to 13 and leaves gaps for Hogg, Watson et al. I think Farrell’s in better form than Ringrose too.

Sexton can expect to be hit late, high, from behind and any other way they can think of because they’d have no fear of Carty going up against Russell.

So yeah, lots to be anxious about there imo

On the upside, I think our scrum will have an edge on theirs, especially once the replacements come on. Hopefully we can turn that into points.

I'm more confident than most. Quietly confident they can win a quarter final too.

It's funny that the Irish media in particular must be the most extreme in rugby. Last November they were talking up Ireland as world cup winners, now hardly any of them think we can win a quarter final.

Theyve gone the opposite direction in how they estimate the Boks. Last year we were definitely going to beat them in the quarter finals, now the Boks are better than NZ according to many. Talk about extremes.

I think NZ will beat the Boks and Ireland have a great chance of beating them in a quarter final. I'd prefer to play the Boks than NZ. I think NZ have been holding back while I know what Rassie is like as a coach. He likes simple gameplans so I don't expect the Boks to have anything up their sleeve. A wet pitch could even things up, we'll see.

I think we'll bully the Scots up front. They're always good for a few tries but Ireland will just dominate possession imo.

Larmour is the key man and will be targeted. He is definitely a bit raw yet but he is cool under pressure from what I've seen. I expect a few dropped balls but nothing major.

So I'm cautiously optimistic about Ireland's world cup and I think them being talked down by the media is perfect. Everything is falling into place for Schmidt.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

dropkick wrote:

I'm more confident than most. Quietly confident they can win a quarter final too.

It's funny that the Irish media in particular must be the most extreme in rugby. Last November they were talking up Ireland as world cup winners, now hardly any of them think we can win a quarter final.

Theyve gone the opposite direction in how they estimate the Boks. Last year we were definitely going to beat them in the quarter finals, now the Boks are better than NZ according to many. Talk about extremes.

I think NZ will beat the Boks and Ireland have a great chance of beating them in a quarter final. I'd prefer to play the Boks than NZ. I think NZ have been holding back while I know what Rassie is like as a coach. He likes simple gameplans so I don't expect the Boks to have anything up their sleeve. A wet pitch could even things up, we'll see.

I think we'll bully the Scots up front. They're always good for a few tries but Ireland will just dominate possession imo.

Larmour is the key man and will be targeted. He is definitely a bit raw yet but he is cool under pressure from what I've seen. I expect a few dropped balls but nothing major.

So I'm cautiously optimistic about Ireland's world cup and I think them being talked down by the media is perfect. Everything is falling into place for Schmidt.
Yeah it is nonsense the shite we have to read, worse is when the tools in the office you work in lap it up and repeat it as if it is fact and you have to be polite :lol:

On the one hand they want to build up teams like England, South Africa and Wales but if we lose to them we are sh!t, hey what I thought you just said these teams were really good?

If we get to the quarter finals which I think we will then anything can happen, we can win against any of the teams left in the competition but they all can beat us as well. That is the reality of it. It will come down to what sort of team we can field and what team the opposition have at that stage which will decide who is favourite imo.

Glass half full here for sure.

So in cliff notes Irish hack version if we win the World Cup Joe is the greatest human ever to live, his over detail is something to aspire to and if we lose in the groups/knockouts Joe lost the dressing room (yet again), the camp was a miserable place, Kleyn missed a line out catch, Sexton, Kearney, Earls, Best are to old blah blah blah. They probably have both endings written already.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Post by TrapperChamonix »

OTT wrote: So in cliff notes Irish hack version if we win the World Cup Joe is the greatest human ever to live, his over detail is something to aspire to and if we lose in the groups/knockouts Joe lost the dressing room (yet again), the camp was a miserable place, Kleyn missed a line out catch, Sexton, Kearney, Earls, Best are to old blah blah blah. They probably have both endings written already.
Thus it was in the beginning and shall be ever after, amen
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Anything worse than a fourth place finish is failure.
I have Bumbleflex