RWC 2019

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Pilotman123
Graduate

Re: RWC 2019

Post by Pilotman123 »

Wouldn’t be surprised if Curry and Underhill are on steroids, Out backrow is terrible compared to England’s
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Pilotman123 wrote:Wouldn’t be surprised if Curry and Underhill are on steroids,
Did they go to Michaels?
I have Bumbleflex
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Twist wrote:
FLIP wrote:So you're telling me that when NZ are reffed fairly and equitably they aren't actually that good?
Been saying this for ages!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thought Owens was very generous to England tbh, not that it changed how much better England were.

The offsides were my main gripe but thought the call that Slade attempted to wrap was a bit ridiculous and he missed a very high clearout from Farrell. Maybe they had to reverse the penalty against Whitelock but for me it was very harsh to punish a light push to the face.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Look at the way England ran out of steam in that game. If only they had a proper player management system like we do where they could be cosseted and protected from playing rugby so that when they had to play rugby they'd be totes ready and no way completely unprepared for playing rugby.
I have Bumbleflex
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Dave Cahill wrote:Look at the way England ran out of steam in that game. If only they had a proper player management system like we do where they could be cosseted and protected from playing rugby so that when they had to play rugby they'd be totes ready and no way completely unprepared for playing rugby.
Was just thinking this too. Even aside from the physical element, I wonder if mentally you're worried about minding/pacing yourself in certain games if that's the kind of mindset that exists? That said, we can't forget that England had a week off during the tournament. It's hard to believe that World Rugby thought it was unfair on teams to rearrange games, but giving teams a week off was seen as being okay.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:Look at the way England ran out of steam in that game. If only they had a proper player management system like we do where they could be cosseted and protected from playing rugby so that when they had to play rugby they'd be totes ready and no way completely unprepared for playing rugby.
Was just thinking this too. Even aside from the physical element, I wonder if mentally you're worried about minding/pacing yourself in certain games if that's the kind of mindset that exists? That said, we can't forget that England had a week off during the tournament. It's hard to believe that World Rugby thought it was unfair on teams to rearrange games, but giving teams a week off was seen as being okay.
New Zealand had that same advantage last week and it showed.
Anyone But New Zealand
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

FLIP wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
New Zealand had that same advantage last week and it showed.
Yeah it showed for all the teams that had the break, even France over performed

Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
Twist wrote:
FLIP wrote:So you're telling me that when NZ are reffed fairly and equitably they aren't actually that good?
Been saying this for ages!

Thought Owens was very generous to England tbh, not that it changed how much better England were.

The offsides were my main gripe but thought the call that Slade attempted to wrap was a bit ridiculous and he missed a very high clearout from Farrell. Maybe they had to reverse the penalty against Whitelock but for me it was very harsh to punish a light push to the face.
Definitely agree on that Slade hit anyway

Utterly dominant from England though. Its so frustrating that we underperformed to such a degree last week

Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Well done England and Eddie Jones on a superbly executed victory. IMO, nobody can validly criticise the refereeing which ensured a great game and did not appear biased. Hard nosed defence ensured that NZ made more mistakes in possession than they've made in the last three seasons.

England were excellent at line-out, mauls and in carrying and presentation. It takes a lot of discipline to play like that and they had it. England had two tries disallowed and butchered two more opportunities (Jonny May one-on-one against Scott Barrett).

Possibly the happiest man today will be Warren Gatland. Despite having beaten South Africa four times in Cardiff with most of the current team, he goes into a RWC semi-final as underdogs and if they win, he knows that his team will believe they can beat England - if they can get to the Final. As Wales have not beaten NZ since 1953, it would have been impossible for Gatland, or anyone, to convince Wales that they could beat NZ to prevent them winning a third World Cup Final.

Bring on the second Semi-final!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Just thought of another one, one of the England players had tackled someone and had them in a headlock for quite a while right in front of Owens and he ignored it.

I'm just criticising Owens, not saying England were lucky. He had a decent game last week but was shite again today and it really bugs me that he got such a big game having been so poor for a long time now.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
England were excellent at line-out, mauls and in carrying and presentation. It takes a lot of discipline to play like that and they had it. England had two tries disallowed and butchered two more opportunities (Jonny May one-on-one against Scott Barrett).
It was phenomenal pace from Barrett (and his brother was exceptionally quick on the angle too) but maybe May was injured? He looked slow and obviously went off pretty early.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Oldschool wrote:If POM starts as first choice in our big RWC games then we are goosed.
We might get to the QFs but that will he that.
He isn't our biggest problem though.
Best at 35 is already a problem.
Sexton at 34 is on his way to becoming a problem.
Murray has age on his side but he is a problem as of now.
Stop worrying, there's plenty of time between now and the RWC.
Now where have we heard that before.
I was looking for the predictions so flicked through the thread and found this from the end of May. I guess Joe wasn't worried either!
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
Leinsterimp wrote:Incredible performance from England so far, Underhill and Curry are immense
Absolutely. Thought that the Vunipolas and Tuilagi were key to England winning games like this but all three were actually reasonably quiet. Sinckler, Lawes, Itoje, Ford, Farrell, Daly, and Watson were all incredible. England were so well organised and strong in every facet of play. NZ's only score came from a dodgy lineout by England, really impressive stuff.

That's not far from how NZ have been playing for a couple of years IMO. A lack of power and they ran out of ideas. They did have chances but blew them with really hesitant or stupid play. England were much better than them but if they'd kept composed and not thrown stupid offloads, ran into trouble, ran into touch, and gave away brain dead penalties then they could have won. A lot of the errors were forced but an awful lot of them weren't.

I've never been convinced by Mo'unga at ten at this level, good on the front foot and good as a sub but not in the really tough games IMO. I think it would have made more sense to move Barrett to ten and put his brother to 15. I don't think we're capable of that kind of performance that England just put in but it's so frustrating that we didn't put NZ under any pressure at all last week.

The pace that England put on the game in the first half is the kind of level we have to get to, you need to bring the game to the opposition, we can't afford to sit back in future.
I am a huge Steve Hansen fan and a very big All Blacks fan, but England were all over them today. Better in every aspect of the game – better decision-making, better at the breakdown, better attack, better defensively, far more efficient set-pieces, much better kicking game, better kick-chase, better discipline. They were a little unfortunate to have Ben Youngs' try rubbed off the board [although it was a correct decision], and NZ were lucky enough to get seven ... their try was a gift.

That means that Steve Hansen's time in charge and all the trophies that he has led the ABs to are tarnished. He has been found out; what's the point of being number one in the world rankings when you can't win the World Cup? The All Blacks won a few games when others had their eye off the ball. I saw this coming from way out. The Wallabies gave them a kicking in the first game of the Rugby Championship and they never recovered. He kept on picking too many inexperienced players. England have shown that the All Blacks gameplan is ineffective against the best team in the world. New Zealand need to forget this wrong-headed idea of playing a second decision-maker at fullback – look at England, they play with three pace merchants in their back three. This was the sort of World Cup for New Zealand that demands a complete rethink of how they prioritise, periodise and prepare. It isn’t just one thing here — it’s a complete re-evaluation in my book. It puts the Crusaders Super Rugby wins in context - I’m not so sure that the Leinster v Crusaders question holds as much water now. Calling players 'world class' - we throw around that stuff way too easily. We are judging players on Super Rugby, or even the Rugby Championship, when it seems to me that others are busier peaking for Rugby World Cups. New Zealand need to get the best players from sailing, cricket and netball ... did I go too far with that last one?

[Source: Ronan O'Gara, Gavin Cummiskey, Ruairidh O'Connor, Cian Tracy etc.]
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Twist wrote: Utterly dominant from England though. Its so frustrating that we underperformed to such a degree last week

New Zealand will be saying the same thing in a week's time. They massively underperformed. It's cup rugby, an awful lot of it is simply about how well you play on the day. As Bundini Brown said about Ali, "Some days you wake up feeling good, other days not so good."
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

:lol: :happy clapper:
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

jayziz....england were outstanding from start to finish. reminded me of their 6N game in dublin this year. unstoppable when they are in that groove.
could also be argued that they were unlucky that second half try was ruled out following the maul. gifted NZ seven as well.
wasn't expecting it but hats off and fair play to them.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

hugonaut wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
Leinsterimp wrote:Incredible performance from England so far, Underhill and Curry are immense
Absolutely. Thought that the Vunipolas and Tuilagi were key to England winning games like this but all three were actually reasonably quiet. Sinckler, Lawes, Itoje, Ford, Farrell, Daly, and Watson were all incredible. England were so well organised and strong in every facet of play. NZ's only score came from a dodgy lineout by England, really impressive stuff.

That's not far from how NZ have been playing for a couple of years IMO. A lack of power and they ran out of ideas. They did have chances but blew them with really hesitant or stupid play. England were much better than them but if they'd kept composed and not thrown stupid offloads, ran into trouble, ran into touch, and gave away brain dead penalties then they could have won. A lot of the errors were forced but an awful lot of them weren't.

I've never been convinced by Mo'unga at ten at this level, good on the front foot and good as a sub but not in the really tough games IMO. I think it would have made more sense to move Barrett to ten and put his brother to 15. I don't think we're capable of that kind of performance that England just put in but it's so frustrating that we didn't put NZ under any pressure at all last week.

The pace that England put on the game in the first half is the kind of level we have to get to, you need to bring the game to the opposition, we can't afford to sit back in future.
I am a huge Steve Hansen fan and a very big All Blacks fan, but England were all over them today. Better in every aspect of the game – better decision-making, better at the breakdown, better attack, better defensively, far more efficient set-pieces, much better kicking game, better kick-chase, better discipline. They were a little unfortunate to have Ben Youngs' try rubbed off the board [although it was a correct decision], and NZ were lucky enough to get seven ... their try was a gift.

That means that Steve Hansen's time in charge and all the trophies that he has led the ABs to are tarnished. He has been found out; what's the point of being number one in the world rankings when you can't win the World Cup? The All Blacks won a few games when others had their eye off the ball. I saw this coming from way out. The Wallabies gave them a kicking in the first game of the Rugby Championship and they never recovered. He kept on picking too many inexperienced players. England have shown that the All Blacks gameplan is ineffective against the best team in the world. New Zealand need to forget this wrong-headed idea of playing a second decision-maker at fullback – look at England, they play with three pace merchants in their back three. This was the sort of World Cup for New Zealand that demands a complete rethink of how they prioritise, periodise and prepare. It isn’t just one thing here — it’s a complete re-evaluation in my book. It puts the Crusaders Super Rugby wins in context - I’m not so sure that the Leinster v Crusaders question holds as much water now. Calling players 'world class' - we throw around that stuff way too easily. We are judging players on Super Rugby, or even the Rugby Championship, when it seems to me that others are busier peaking for Rugby World Cups. New Zealand need to get the best players from sailing, cricket and netball ... did I go too far with that last one?

Post of the decade. Lots more people to add to that list. Gives you a pain in your hole!
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

hugonaut wrote:That means that Steve Hansen's time in charge and all the trophies that he has led the ABs to are tarnished. He has been found out; what's the point of being number one in the world rankings when you can't win the World Cup? The All Blacks won a few games when others had their eye off the ball. I saw this coming from way out. The Wallabies gave them a kicking in the first game of the Rugby Championship and they never recovered. He kept on picking too many inexperienced players. England have shown that the All Blacks gameplan is ineffective against the best team in the world. New Zealand need to forget this wrong-headed idea of playing a second decision-maker at fullback – look at England, they play with three pace merchants in their back three. This was the sort of World Cup for New Zealand that demands a complete rethink of how they prioritise, periodise and prepare. It isn’t just one thing here — it’s a complete re-evaluation in my book. It puts the Crusaders Super Rugby wins in context - I’m not so sure that the Leinster v Crusaders question holds as much water now. Calling players 'world class' - we throw around that stuff way too easily. We are judging players on Super Rugby, or even the Rugby Championship, when it seems to me that others are busier peaking for Rugby World Cups. New Zealand need to get the best players from sailing, cricket and netball ... did I go too far with that last one?

Good post that. though if you are imitating O'Connor or Tracy you need to state how it hurts you to say this, and that stabbing them all while they are down is just doing your job.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

hugonaut wrote:
Twist wrote: Utterly dominant from England though. Its so frustrating that we underperformed to such a degree last week

New Zealand will be saying the same thing in a week's time. They massively underperformed. It's cup rugby, an awful lot of it is simply about how well you play on the day. As Bundini Brown said about Ali, "Some days you wake up feeling good, other days not so good."
That's white washing it a bit.
England have been my favourites for a while to win the RWC.
The reason is simple and has been obvious for a while, the Lions, Ireland and England last autumn have shown that it is possible to best NZ up front, control possession and beat them.
England added an extra dimension(for them ) with their back play.
They also added Eddie Jones who is his own man.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
Oldschool wrote:If POM starts as first choice in our big RWC games then we are goosed.
We might get to the QFs but that will he that.
He isn't our biggest problem though.
Best at 35 is already a problem.
Sexton at 34 is on his way to becoming a problem.
Murray has age on his side but he is a problem as of now.
Stop worrying, there's plenty of time between now and the RWC.
Now where have we heard that before.
I was looking for the predictions so flicked through the thread and found this from the end of May. I guess Joe wasn't worried either!
The real post of the decade.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.