6 Nations 2020

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Re: 6 Nations 2020

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Fireworks wrote:And now for something entirely different.........The rugby.

Not sure about the thinking of naming the team so early in the week. I know some like to hold out until the last minute which can avoid giving the opposition the chance to make adjustments to their selection or tactics in reaction to yours. I think it is a positive statement for this game but I am not sure it is something I would keep.
I was thinking about this too and I reckon it won't be that important going forward but just seems like a bigger deal now because we don't know what team Farrell is going to pick.

For example, Scotland could well be planning to play a back three of Larmour, Earls, and Stockdale, but end up with Addison, Conway, and Stockdale instead. I don't like giving them more time to prepare for that.

But once we see the team we should be able to guess future selections much better apart from any injury doubts.
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

Think it's all psychological as the team is likely chosen by then anyway (at least in the coaches minds) - Farrell is backing his tactics and his players the same way Gatland did with Wales. Play to Ireland's strengths and not to any other teams strengths/weaknesses.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Maybe he just knows the team will be leaked anyway and wants to wring something positive out of it?
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

kermischocolate wrote:I've nothing against Zebo. I just find his use of social media to be "supportive" of Russell quite odd.

At best he's (Russell) been a dick and needs to get over himself. At worst he has a real problem and needs help, not trolling on social media by a teammate.
It's not odd. It's very on brand for an attention whorewho hasn't been relevant as a player for a while now.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
El Diablo
Mullet

Post by El Diablo »

Doris looks certain to start. Quite an achievement for a 21 YO. Is he younger than James Ryan when he made his 6N debut?
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

Close; Ryan made his debut v USA in June 2017 at a 20 yr old (just), he would have turned 21 in July, and made his 6N debut as a 21 yr old. Doris was 21 in April 2019 I think; so a few months older when (if) he makes his debut this 6N.
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

Just saw the 6 refs for our games. Can't believe Jaco Peyper is still rated enough to referee test matches (or any match for that matter), least of all England v Ireland in Twickenham.
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... -1.4153266
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

desperado wrote:Just saw the 6 refs for our games. Can't believe Jaco Peyper is still rated enough to referee test matches (or any match for that matter), least of all England v Ireland in Twickenham.
Gives us a good excuse doesn't it although BV missing should give us a sniff depending on how Farrell's evolution is going.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
Fireworks wrote:And now for something entirely different.........The rugby.

Not sure about the thinking of naming the team so early in the week. I know some like to hold out until the last minute which can avoid giving the opposition the chance to make adjustments to their selection or tactics in reaction to yours. I think it is a positive statement for this game but I am not sure it is something I would keep.
I was thinking about this too and I reckon it won't be that important going forward but just seems like a bigger deal now because we don't know what team Farrell is going to pick.

For example, Scotland could well be planning to play a back three of Larmour, Earls, and Stockdale, but end up with Addison, Conway, and Stockdale instead. I don't like giving them more time to prepare for that.

But once we see the team we should be able to guess future selections much better apart from any injury doubts.
I think it might take a few games to get a real idea as to future selection thinking. The injuries, some loss of form, transition of new guys coming in, the new management and the hangover from the WC could all take a while to deal with.

While we need to see new blood I hope there is not too much change too quickly. In my uneducated opinion, new caps do better when surrounded by experience. Bleed them in over the six nations.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Oldschool wrote:
desperado wrote:Just saw the 6 refs for our games. Can't believe Jaco Peyper is still rated enough to referee test matches (or any match for that matter), least of all England v Ireland in Twickenham.
Gives us a good excuse doesn't it although BV missing should give us a sniff depending on how Farrell's evolution is going.
I always think Peyper's presence increases the risk of injury to players. He's that bad. I've no idea what he's like as a person but hate seeing him referee games.

Don't forget that crooked feed call either. He's abysmal.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

paddyor wrote:
kermischocolate wrote:I've nothing against Zebo. I just find his use of social media to be "supportive" of Russell quite odd.

At best he's (Russell) been a dick and needs to get over himself. At worst he has a real problem and needs help, not trolling on social media by a teammate.
It's not odd. It's very on brand for an attention whorewho hasn't been relevant as a player for a while now.
Rugbypass are reporting he's in talks with Rugby United NY (home of Cathal Marsh and Bastareaud). I know they're not exactly Johnny Reliable but RUNY have already shown a willingness to spend big money so there might be something to it. That'll be the end of any chance we'll see him back here again. Also indicates Racing feel he's surplus to requirements.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by Twist » January 28th, 2020, 3:49 pm

paddyor wrote:

kermischocolate wrote:
I've nothing against Zebo. I just find his use of social media to be "supportive" of Russell quite odd.

Rugbypass are reporting he's in talks with Rugby United NY (home of Cathal Marsh and Bastareaud). I know they're not exactly Johnny Reliable but RUNY have already shown a willingness to spend big money so there might be something to it. That'll be the end of any chance we'll see him back here again. Also indicates Racing feel he's surplus to requirements.
How is Zebo doing at Racing this season anyway?
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Twist wrote:
paddyor wrote:

Didn't Zebo state many times in the past that he always wanted to play in the States?
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

blockhead wrote:
Twist wrote:
paddyor wrote: It's not odd. It's very on brand for an attention whorewho hasn't been relevant as a player for a while now.
Didn't Zebo state many times in the past that he always wanted to play in a state?
fixed
I have Bumbleflex
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

blockhead wrote: ...
Didn't Zebo state many times in the past that he always wanted to play in the States?
I know a lad who went to school with him, apparently he is fluent in English, loves doughnuts and hotdogs and really enjoys American TV, movies and culture.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

I know a lad who went to school with him, apparently he is fluent in English, loves doughnuts and hotdogs and really enjoys American TV, movies and culture.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

sunshiner1 wrote: How is Zebo doing at Racing this season anyway?
Racing have played 20 games: 14 in the league, 6 in the cup.

Zebo has played in 9 league games [6+3|429 mins] and 4 cup games [3+1|247 mins], scoring one try thus far in both competitions, against the Ospreys in the cup.

Overall, his season reads: 13 apps [9+4|676 mins|], 1 try

That equates to
- 43% of total available minutes
- 45% of starts in both competitions
- 43% of starts in league
- 50% of starts in cup.

All of Racing's other back three players are performing at a much higher level - Teddy Thomas [W] has scored 12 tries in 11 games, Imhoff [W] has scored 10 tries in 17 games, Dupichot [FB] has scored 6 tries in 13 games, Dulin [FB] has scored 4 tries in 15 games.

Racing are a quality outfit, and while they have this big premium on portraying a stylish image, they also seem to be well-organised, diligent in preparation and professional. They were willing to cut Nakarawa [who won European Player of the Year for them a season and a half ago] when they could have looked the other way. Zebo showed up in terrible condition for the start of the season and is competing for time against guys players who are every bit as talented as him.

In fairness to him, he was extremely productive last season, with 16 tries in 26 games, but this season he's posting 1 try in 13 games. He turns 30 in a couple of months and if he doesn't adopt a much stricter regime to how he handles his conditioning, he'll wind the clock down faster than it should run.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:
:happy clapper:
Blue not red blood
Mullet

Post by Blue not red blood »

The new face of Krispy Cremes perhaps
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Blue not red blood wrote:The new face of Krispy Cremes perhaps
Anyone But New Zealand