6 Nations 2020

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Re: 6 Nations 2020

Postby Ruckedtobits » January 30th, 2020, 7:43 pm

Galtie's selection for Sunday's game against England must be the most "multi-cultural" French selection ever.

An observation, not a criticism.
Ruckedtobits
Shane Horgan
 
Posts: 4729
Joined: April 10th, 2011, 10:23 am

Re: 6 Nations 2020

Postby Twist » January 31st, 2020, 12:33 pm

England going with a back row of Lawes, Curry and Underhill. I can't see the French getting the better of them.
User avatar
Twist
Mullet
 
Posts: 1229
Joined: September 14th, 2011, 2:33 am

Re: 6 Nations 2020

Postby LeRouxIsPHat » January 31st, 2020, 2:40 pm

Twist wrote:England going with a back row of Lawes, Curry and Underhill. I can't see the French getting the better of them.


With the power of that French front row I would bet that Curry will struggle at one or two scrums.

The French team is super talented and full of power but in typical French fashion they seem to have picked a great squad and then an odd 23. Maybe I'm just out of the loop because of the Top14 not being on TV though. They have serious power in the front and back rows, arguably the best scrumhalf in the world, arguably the best player in the world in Vakatawa, and two lethal wingers who are brilliant footballers as well as finishers. Really exciting team, hope it clicks.
User avatar
LeRouxIsPHat
Leo Cullen
 
Posts: 12992
Joined: January 22nd, 2009, 8:49 pm

Re: 6 Nations 2020

Postby Dave Cahill » January 31st, 2020, 3:42 pm

I thought Vakatawa was having an immense season. Then the second half of game against Saracens kicked off.
I have Bumbleflex
User avatar
Dave Cahill
Gordon D'Arcy
 
Posts: 22357
Joined: January 24th, 2006, 4:32 pm
Location: None of your damn business

Re: 6 Nations 2020

Postby Dave Cahill » January 31st, 2020, 5:20 pm

England won the 2014 JRWC. On the team that started the final were Itoje, who lines up for England this weekend, Nick Tompkins who benches for Wales, and Billy Burns who is in the Irish Six Nations squad
I have Bumbleflex
User avatar
Dave Cahill
Gordon D'Arcy
 
Posts: 22357
Joined: January 24th, 2006, 4:32 pm
Location: None of your damn business

Re: 6 Nations 2020

Postby Ruckedtobits » January 31st, 2020, 7:36 pm

Having listened to the latest Molecast #46 from the Demented Mole team, a theory about Ireland's bench selection for tomorrow just entered my brain.

Arguably, two of Ireland's best line-out operators are Toner and O'Mahony, particularly for line-out steals. Having picked Kelleher and Cooney on the bench, Farrell has given his team a real chance of changing up the game from line-outs in the second half with these four players.

On Irish ball, Kelleher will have familiar targets in Ryan and Toner and a really serious, easy to find, specialist in PO'M. Cooney will get a stream of ball from No 4 or 6 positions from which to attack like he does for Ulster. The presence of Porter as Dev's primary lifter also reinforces the theory and the availability of a fresh Henshaw, running at the Scottish centres off flat passes from Cooney, completes the picture.

Hopefully, its not a tactic that we will desperately need when he does decide to unload the bench but it certainly gives a lot of comfort to know that these combinations have a very useful purpose
Ruckedtobits
Shane Horgan
 
Posts: 4729
Joined: April 10th, 2011, 10:23 am

Re: 6 Nations 2020

Postby Peg Leg » January 31st, 2020, 9:51 pm

Ruckedtobits wrote:Having listened to the latest Molecast #46 from the Demented Mole team, a theory about Ireland's bench selection for tomorrow just entered my brain.

Arguably, two of Ireland's best line-out operators are Toner and O'Mahony, particularly for line-out steals. Having picked Kelleher and Cooney on the bench, Farrell has given his team a real chance of changing up the game from line-outs in the second half with these four players.

On Irish ball, Kelleher will have familiar targets in Ryan and Toner and a really serious, easy to find, specialist in PO'M. Cooney will get a stream of ball from No 4 or 6 positions from which to attack like he does for Ulster. The presence of Porter as Dev's primary lifter also reinforces the theory and the availability of a fresh Henshaw, running at the Scottish centres off flat passes from Cooney, completes the picture.

Hopefully, its not a tactic that we will desperately need when he does decide to unload the bench but it certainly gives a lot of comfort to know that these combinations have a very useful purpose
Listened to it yesterday and really appreciate the differing views and knowledge on that podcast. I'm in the same boat RE: the concern about Hendo. Yes, it's his time but my god he needs a good 6N. Ulster's lineout is not very good this season, your point on the bench could be very accurate.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
User avatar
Peg Leg
Cian Healy
 
Posts: 9313
Joined: February 1st, 2010, 6:08 pm
Location: Procrastinasia

Re: 6 Nations 2020

Postby LeRouxIsPHat » February 2nd, 2020, 4:18 pm

This is the France I hoped we'd see, brilliant start and hope it continues.

England could be in trouble. Neither Vunipola playing, Tuilagi off, Curry at 8, and Farrell seems to have an arm injury.
User avatar
LeRouxIsPHat
Leo Cullen
 
Posts: 12992
Joined: January 22nd, 2009, 8:49 pm

Re: 6 Nations 2020

Postby Fan with smartphone » February 2nd, 2020, 4:26 pm

Brilliant er...TMO-ing there in my book for that France try. And Nigel not blowing it initially too. TMO called it back thinking obvious knock on missed and in the end called it right. Gotta play to the whistle.
Fan with smartphone
Graduate
 
Posts: 543
Joined: May 18th, 2016, 7:54 pm

Re: 6 Nations 2020

Postby LeRouxIsPHat » February 2nd, 2020, 4:42 pm

Fan with smartphone wrote:Brilliant er...TMO-ing there in my book for that France try. And Nigel not blowing it initially too. TMO called it back thinking obvious knock on missed and in the end called it right. Gotta play to the whistle.


Thought they missed Ollivon being offside from the kick though. Unbelievable that England just stopped playing all the same, they're just not at the races.

Edwards seems to have made a huge difference already, but France have the physicality to cope with England (that we could only dream of) and it's really impressive. They have lots of power on the bench too so it'll be interesting to see if they keep it up.

Farrell clearly injured IMO.
User avatar
LeRouxIsPHat
Leo Cullen
 
Posts: 12992
Joined: January 22nd, 2009, 8:49 pm

Re: 6 Nations 2020

Postby Schumi » February 2nd, 2020, 4:50 pm

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Thought they missed Ollivon being offside from the kick though. Unbelievable that England just stopped playing all the same, they're just not at the races.

The kick was touched by an England player I think so no outside.
User avatar
Schumi
Knowledgeable
 
Posts: 399
Joined: December 18th, 2006, 11:02 pm

Re: 6 Nations 2020

Postby LeRouxIsPHat » February 2nd, 2020, 4:53 pm

Schumi wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Thought they missed Ollivon being offside from the kick though. Unbelievable that England just stopped playing all the same, they're just not at the races.

The kick was touched by an England player I think so no outside.


Ah okay, thanks.

The replay on again now...May :lol: :lol:
User avatar
LeRouxIsPHat
Leo Cullen
 
Posts: 12992
Joined: January 22nd, 2009, 8:49 pm

Re: 6 Nations 2020

Postby Leinsterimp » February 2nd, 2020, 5:23 pm

Ford and Farrell combination has been off today. Also naive of EJ not to pick Dombrandt or Simmonds at 8
Leinsterimp
Beginner
 
Posts: 35
Joined: April 5th, 2018, 8:35 am

Re: 6 Nations 2020

Postby Ruckedtobits » February 2nd, 2020, 8:13 pm

Leinsterimp wrote:Ford and Farrell combination has been off today. Also naive of EJ not to pick Dombrandt or Simmonds at 8


+1, +1.

Don't think he'll make that mistake again.
Ruckedtobits
Shane Horgan
 
Posts: 4729
Joined: April 10th, 2011, 10:23 am

Re: 6 Nations 2020

Postby Ruckedtobits » February 2nd, 2020, 8:18 pm

Doris was out cold and won't be risked IMO. Killer was just a bad tackle / head hit. However, Farrell has Jack McGrath who could be an alternative starter against Wales with Cian to explode off the bench on 55 mins.
Ruckedtobits
Shane Horgan
 
Posts: 4729
Joined: April 10th, 2011, 10:23 am

Re: 6 Nations 2020

Postby Oldschool » February 2nd, 2020, 9:33 pm

Ruckedtobits wrote:Doris was out cold and won't be risked IMO. Killer was just a bad tackle / head hit. However, Farrell has Jack McGrath who could be an alternative starter against Wales with Cian to explode off the bench on 55 mins.

Would be great to see Jack McGrath back in the starting 15. It might be just the tonic he needs to get him back to his best.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
User avatar
Oldschool
Rob Kearney
 
Posts: 12486
Joined: March 27th, 2008, 2:10 pm

Re: 6 Nations 2020

Postby Ruckedtobits » February 2nd, 2020, 10:47 pm

Eddie Jones was the latest Coach to learn the truth of the old adage "you can't mark time in a collison sport. Bill Walsh credited Vince Lombardi with these immortal words and Bill Bellechic has also uttered them.

Jones, without the Vunipolas from the start and losing Tuilagi before half-time, may have instilled his English team with lots of belief during their run to the World Cup Final, but it wasn't enough to overcome an inspired French 50 minute performance which saw the home team 24-0 ahead before Jonny May put two tries on the scoresheet in get England a losing bonus point at 24-17.

In truth the French were in experimentation mode also and their front-five probably won't see service together again. But their back-row, half-backs and three-quarters only needed an occassional supply to tear holes in the much vaunted English defence.

A long way to go yet and France to visit Cardiff, but Shaun Edwards must be pleased with this first step in a new defensive shape by his French Squad.
Ruckedtobits
Shane Horgan
 
Posts: 4729
Joined: April 10th, 2011, 10:23 am

Re: 6 Nations 2020

Postby blockhead » February 2nd, 2020, 11:56 pm

Y'know when Eddie Jones is talkin sheeeiite that he is a bit worried about his team. He did it befoe the WC final v RSA and he was doin it all this week.
England wont be enjoyin a GS this year, they did not win the 6N last year or the year before. Tis a while now since the rose lifted a trophy,
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
User avatar
blockhead
Shane Jennings
 
Posts: 5830
Joined: December 14th, 2011, 2:20 pm
Location: Bastardstown, Co. Wexford

Re: 6 Nations 2020

Postby MylesNaGapoleen » February 3rd, 2020, 1:51 pm

Leinsterimp wrote:Ford and Farrell combination has been off today. Also naive of EJ not to pick Dombrandt or Simmonds at 8


Agreed. without the vinupolas punching holes in the opposition line and giving lots of space to the backs, ford & farrell. in particular look very average. In fact a lot of the salarysins* players looked average yesterday.

Must admit, that french win made my weekend. England were Brutal, alright. bleedin brutal.
French scrum needs fixing, pronto, if they have designs on a GS or championship win. Their 17 who came on in the second half was exceptionally good at the breakdown.
User avatar
MylesNaGapoleen
Mullet
 
Posts: 1077
Joined: September 18th, 2009, 11:04 am

Re: 6 Nations 2020

Postby Pilotman123 » February 3rd, 2020, 2:02 pm

Twist wrote:England going with a back row of Lawes, Curry and Underhill. I can't see the French getting the better of them.

This aged well
Pilotman123
Graduate
 
Posts: 526
Joined: July 9th, 2019, 12:45 pm

PreviousNext

Return to International Rugby

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest