6 Nations 2020

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Re: 6 Nations 2020

Postby Pilotman123 » February 3rd, 2020, 2:03 pm

France are going to win the Grand Slam...so much young talent in that team
Pilotman123
Graduate
 
Posts: 526
Joined: July 9th, 2019, 12:45 pm

Re: 6 Nations 2020

Postby TrapperChamonix » February 3rd, 2020, 4:41 pm

Pilotman123 wrote:France are going to win the Grand Slam...so much young talent in that team


Really? Their line out was under a lot of pressure and the scrum in in real trouble with the starting no 3 and even worse with Bamba. They have plenty to improve on before I'd be crowning them champions. My only wish is that we had them next week.
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
User avatar
TrapperChamonix
Mullet
 
Posts: 1232
Joined: November 12th, 2007, 4:27 pm

Re: 6 Nations 2020

Postby Ruckedtobits » February 3rd, 2020, 5:28 pm

TrapperChamonix wrote:
Pilotman123 wrote:France are going to win the Grand Slam...so much young talent in that team


Really? Their line out was under a lot of pressure and the scrum in in real trouble with the starting no 3 and even worse with Bamba. They have plenty to improve on before I'd be crowning them champions. My only wish is that we had them next week.


Like your tagline. You may not have had to add anything else.
Ruckedtobits
Shane Horgan
 
Posts: 4731
Joined: April 10th, 2011, 10:23 am

Re: 6 Nations 2020

Postby hugonaut » February 4th, 2020, 8:08 am

Having watched the game back, I agree with RTB and Blueberry on the other thread that the Scots have made improvements since the RWC19 meeting.

Six changes in the pack is a huge amount of new personnel and when you consider that Hamish Watson was a first half scratch against us back in Japan, it was essentially a new pack with the exception of Jonny Gray.

Fagerson [24], Cummings [23] and Ritchie [23] were/are impressive and an upgrade on what went before. The English pack without the Vunipolas are vulnerable – far more so than I thought they would be.

Ewels was very quiet against the French and will be a casualty. Currie isn't a No8 - he reminded me of Leavy playing there for Leinster against Bath. Jones' refusal to bring Dombrandt into the fold is counter-productive: it's not doing anything for the team and it's hurting his credibility and relationship with the English rugby public.
User avatar
hugonaut
Shane Jennings
 
Posts: 5127
Joined: May 5th, 2009, 7:44 pm

Re: 6 Nations 2020

Postby MylesNaGapoleen » February 4th, 2020, 9:20 am

hugonaut wrote:Having watched the game back, I agree with RTB and Blueberry on the other thread that the Scots have made improvements since the RWC19 meeting.

Six changes in the pack is a huge amount of new personnel and when you consider that Hamish Watson was a first half scratch against us back in Japan, it was essentially a new pack with the exception of Jonny Gray.

Fagerson [24], Cummings [23] and Ritchie [23] were/are impressive and an upgrade on what went before. The English pack without the Vunipolas are vulnerable – far more so than I thought they would be.

Ewels was very quiet against the French and will be a casualty. Currie isn't a No8 - he reminded me of Leavy playing there for Leinster against Bath. Jones' refusal to bring Dombrandt into the fold is counter-productive: it's not doing anything for the team and it's hurting his credibility and relationship with the English rugby public.


Scotland V England game will be very interesting. Agree with you that without the vinupolas the english game plan doesn't work terribly well. That said, Eddie Jones gave the french a brilliant team talk last week...."bringing brutality to paris". The french were well up for that.
User avatar
MylesNaGapoleen
Mullet
 
Posts: 1077
Joined: September 18th, 2009, 11:04 am

Re: 6 Nations 2020

Postby TrapperChamonix » February 4th, 2020, 10:13 am

Ruckedtobits wrote:
TrapperChamonix wrote:
Pilotman123 wrote:France are going to win the Grand Slam...so much young talent in that team


Really? Their line out was under a lot of pressure and the scrum in in real trouble with the starting no 3 and even worse with Bamba. They have plenty to improve on before I'd be crowning them champions. My only wish is that we had them next week.


Like your tagline. You may not have had to add anything else.


:lol:
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
User avatar
TrapperChamonix
Mullet
 
Posts: 1232
Joined: November 12th, 2007, 4:27 pm

Re: 6 Nations 2020

Postby MylesNaGapoleen » February 4th, 2020, 11:45 am

eddie Jones appears to be struggling to adapt the game plan without the vinupolas. https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/feb/03/manu-tuilagi-england-tom-curry-six-nations-scotland

If Tuilagi is ruled out of Saturday it would be a huge blow for Jones, who has admitted that England need to “find more power” after they were resoundingly beaten by France. Nonetheless the head coach has opted against making any changes to his squad, sticking to his guns over playing Tom Curry at No 8 in the absence of the injured Billy Vunipola. “We need to find a way to get some more power because you’ve got to carry through bodies,” said Jones. “We’ve got to find a way to have more variety.”.

His refusal to bring in a specialist no8 hurt in paris and while curry is a quality player, he is not an 8 and not a billy v. as much as I would love to see scotland win on saturday, EJ does have an odd approach of selecting players out of position from their week-in-week-out positions at club level.

They haven't beaten scotland in a while and have lost 5 out of their last 7 away games in the 6N. I think Scotland have improved since the WC and could do it on saturday. wishful thinking on my side maybe but....gwan the scots!
User avatar
MylesNaGapoleen
Mullet
 
Posts: 1077
Joined: September 18th, 2009, 11:04 am

Re: 6 Nations 2020

Postby TrapperChamonix » February 5th, 2020, 10:31 am

MylesNaGapoleen wrote:eddie Jones appears to be struggling to adapt the game plan without the vinupolas. https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/feb/03/manu-tuilagi-england-tom-curry-six-nations-scotland

If Tuilagi is ruled out of Saturday it would be a huge blow for Jones, who has admitted that England need to “find more power” after they were resoundingly beaten by France. Nonetheless the head coach has opted against making any changes to his squad, sticking to his guns over playing Tom Curry at No 8 in the absence of the injured Billy Vunipola. “We need to find a way to get some more power because you’ve got to carry through bodies,” said Jones. “We’ve got to find a way to have more variety.”.

His refusal to bring in a specialist no8 hurt in paris and while curry is a quality player, he is not an 8 and not a billy v. as much as I would love to see scotland win on saturday, EJ does have an odd approach of selecting players out of position from their week-in-week-out positions at club level.

They haven't beaten scotland in a while and have lost 5 out of their last 7 away games in the 6N. I think Scotland have improved since the WC and could do it on saturday. wishful thinking on my side maybe but....gwan the scots!


His selections have turned an outstanding 4 into a poor 6, an outstanding 6 into a poor 8 and an outstanding 10 into an average 12
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
User avatar
TrapperChamonix
Mullet
 
Posts: 1232
Joined: November 12th, 2007, 4:27 pm

Re: 6 Nations 2020

Postby MylesNaGapoleen » February 5th, 2020, 11:20 am

TrapperChamonix wrote:
MylesNaGapoleen wrote:eddie Jones appears to be struggling to adapt the game plan without the vinupolas. https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/feb/03/manu-tuilagi-england-tom-curry-six-nations-scotland

If Tuilagi is ruled out of Saturday it would be a huge blow for Jones, who has admitted that England need to “find more power” after they were resoundingly beaten by France. Nonetheless the head coach has opted against making any changes to his squad, sticking to his guns over playing Tom Curry at No 8 in the absence of the injured Billy Vunipola. “We need to find a way to get some more power because you’ve got to carry through bodies,” said Jones. “We’ve got to find a way to have more variety.”.

His refusal to bring in a specialist no8 hurt in paris and while curry is a quality player, he is not an 8 and not a billy v. as much as I would love to see scotland win on saturday, EJ does have an odd approach of selecting players out of position from their week-in-week-out positions at club level.

They haven't beaten scotland in a while and have lost 5 out of their last 7 away games in the 6N. I think Scotland have improved since the WC and could do it on saturday. wishful thinking on my side maybe but....gwan the scots!


His selections have turned an outstanding 4 into a poor 6, an outstanding 6 into a poor 8 and an outstanding 10 into an average 12


That reminds me.....anyone remember Mauro Bergamasco being put in as scrum half for Italy? I think it was as far back as 2009...and I think it was the same game the BBC cut the micrphone on Brian Moore because he lost the plot and started shouting\swearing when Wilkinson kept kicking the ball at almost every phase play.

them were the days.
User avatar
MylesNaGapoleen
Mullet
 
Posts: 1077
Joined: September 18th, 2009, 11:04 am

Re: 6 Nations 2020

Postby Peg Leg » February 5th, 2020, 12:22 pm

TrapperChamonix wrote:
MylesNaGapoleen wrote:eddie Jones appears to be struggling to adapt the game plan without the vinupolas. https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/feb/03/manu-tuilagi-england-tom-curry-six-nations-scotland

If Tuilagi is ruled out of Saturday it would be a huge blow for Jones, who has admitted that England need to “find more power” after they were resoundingly beaten by France. Nonetheless the head coach has opted against making any changes to his squad, sticking to his guns over playing Tom Curry at No 8 in the absence of the injured Billy Vunipola. “We need to find a way to get some more power because you’ve got to carry through bodies,” said Jones. “We’ve got to find a way to have more variety.”.

His refusal to bring in a specialist no8 hurt in paris and while curry is a quality player, he is not an 8 and not a billy v. as much as I would love to see scotland win on saturday, EJ does have an odd approach of selecting players out of position from their week-in-week-out positions at club level.

They haven't beaten scotland in a while and have lost 5 out of their last 7 away games in the 6N. I think Scotland have improved since the WC and could do it on saturday. wishful thinking on my side maybe but....gwan the scots!


His selections have turned an outstanding 4 into a poor 6, an outstanding 6 into a poor 8 and an outstanding 10 into an average 12
Thought Lawes emptied the tank V France and had a very good game.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
User avatar
Peg Leg
Cian Healy
 
Posts: 9313
Joined: February 1st, 2010, 6:08 pm
Location: Procrastinasia

Re: 6 Nations 2020

Postby FLIP » February 5th, 2020, 12:26 pm

Peg Leg wrote:
TrapperChamonix wrote:His selections have turned an outstanding 4 into a poor 6, an outstanding 6 into a poor 8 and an outstanding 10 into an average 12
Thought Lawes emptied the tank V France and had a very good game.


Lawes is a capable enough Second Row/Number 6 hybrid. He did that before Jones and if Jones leaves England before Lawes career is over he will keep on doing it.
Anyone But New Zealand
FLIP
Mullet
 
Posts: 1864
Joined: May 22nd, 2009, 1:00 am

Re: 6 Nations 2020

Postby blockhead » February 5th, 2020, 9:42 pm

Bouthier's clearance kick for France from under his own posts which gives England a lineout 7 meters from their own line. Amazing stuff!
The only comparison I can think off is Rob Kearney's clearance in the Heino semi 2012 v Clermont. Remember that one? In the 2nd half, when he played like a GOD!
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
User avatar
blockhead
Shane Jennings
 
Posts: 5830
Joined: December 14th, 2011, 2:20 pm
Location: Bastardstown, Co. Wexford

Re: 6 Nations 2020

Postby Morf » February 6th, 2020, 2:20 am

blockhead wrote:Bouthier's clearance kick for France from under his own posts which gives England a lineout 7 meters from their own line. Amazing stuff!
The only comparison I can think off is Rob Kearney's clearance in the Heino semi 2012 v Clermont. Remember that one? In the 2nd half, when he played like a GOD!


I remember Rob's booming kicks before he seemingly lost the ability to kick for touch at all for quite a while. When it returned it was still far off his best.

Almost always miscued and not gaining much ground. Could have been injury-related I suppose.
User avatar
Morf
Isa Nacewa
 
Posts: 2212
Joined: April 26th, 2011, 2:20 am

Re: 6 Nations 2020

Postby TrapperChamonix » February 6th, 2020, 12:33 pm

Seems bizarre that Exeter only have only 1 bench player in the English named squad.
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
User avatar
TrapperChamonix
Mullet
 
Posts: 1232
Joined: November 12th, 2007, 4:27 pm

Re: 6 Nations 2020

Postby blockhead » February 7th, 2020, 11:45 pm

South Africa in talks to join Six Nations.

You heard it from Blockhead first.
All hail Blockhead.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
User avatar
blockhead
Shane Jennings
 
Posts: 5830
Joined: December 14th, 2011, 2:20 pm
Location: Bastardstown, Co. Wexford

Re: 6 Nations 2020

Postby johng » February 8th, 2020, 12:07 am

It's a daly mail exclusive. MUST be true
User avatar
johng
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 18220
Joined: March 23rd, 2009, 11:37 pm
Location: Behind You!!

Re: 6 Nations 2020

Postby blockhead » February 8th, 2020, 12:10 am

johng wrote:It's a daly mail exclusive. MUST be true


Snob.
The Daily Mail put Saracens on the road to oblivion.
Maybe someone in the know (team owner) put them in the know, as a thank you.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
User avatar
blockhead
Shane Jennings
 
Posts: 5830
Joined: December 14th, 2011, 2:20 pm
Location: Bastardstown, Co. Wexford

Re: 6 Nations 2020

Postby johng » February 8th, 2020, 12:15 am

Utter chyte -daily mail about as truthful as Saracens
User avatar
johng
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 18220
Joined: March 23rd, 2009, 11:37 pm
Location: Behind You!!

Re: 6 Nations 2020

Postby Peg Leg » February 8th, 2020, 12:16 am

blockhead wrote:
johng wrote:It's a daly mail exclusive. MUST be true


Snob.
The Daily Mail put Saracens on the road to oblivion.
Maybe someone in the know (team owner) put them in the know, as a thank you.
The journalist Laura Scott, that broke the story now works for the beeb.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
User avatar
Peg Leg
Cian Healy
 
Posts: 9313
Joined: February 1st, 2010, 6:08 pm
Location: Procrastinasia

Re: 6 Nations 2020

Postby blockhead » February 8th, 2020, 12:32 am

Peg Leg wrote:
blockhead wrote:
johng wrote:It's a daly mail exclusive. MUST be true


Snob.
The Daily Mail put Saracens on the road to oblivion.
Maybe someone in the know (team owner) put them in the know, as a thank you.
The journalist Laura Scott, that broke the story now works for the beeb.


Nominated for the Sports Journalists awards. You go girl!
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
User avatar
blockhead
Shane Jennings
 
Posts: 5830
Joined: December 14th, 2011, 2:20 pm
Location: Bastardstown, Co. Wexford

PreviousNext

Return to International Rugby

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest