RWC 2019 refs

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

brenno
Bookworm

RWC 2019 refs

Post by brenno »

It's a sad indication of the state of reffing in the Pro14 that only one ref (Owens) and one assistant (Brace) makes it on to the RWC 2019 refs panel. For Ireland, we've gone from a time where we had loads of international refs to now having just one (Brace) deemed worthy of running the line - not even reffing a match. Can't say I'm too bothered with the likes of Clancy, Whitehouse and the collection of jokers from Scotland not getting into the panel - but it has to a real concern for the Pro14 which, while having a collection of some excellent to some decent teams - basically the ones who have qualified for Europe next year and a couple of others who just missed out, we are going to have to put up with refs who World Rugby have effectively decided are second-raters. Surprised though that Mitrea didn't at least get in as an Assistant Ref - has his faults but when you see the likes of Jaco the Joker Peyper getting into the ref's list....

Full list below

Four French refs , two from England, two from NZ, two from Aus, one from Wales (windbag Owens) and god help us all that moron Peyper from SA

Assistants - two English, one Irish (Brace) and one each from NZ, Arg, Japan and France

TMO - two English, one NZ and one SA

Referees (12): Wayne Barnes (England), Luke Pearce (England), Jérôme Garcès (France), Romain Poite (France), Pascal Gaüzère (France), Mathieu Raynal (France), Nigel Owens (Wales), Jaco Peyper (South Africa), Ben O’Keeffe (New Zealand), Paul Williams (New Zealand), Nic Berry (Australia) and Angus Gardner (Australia)
Assistant referees (seven): Matthew Carley (England, reserve referee), Karl Dickson (England), Andrew Brace (Ireland), Brendon Pickerill (New Zealand), Federico Anselmi (Argentina), Shuhei Kubo (Japan) and Alex Ruiz (France)
TMOs (four): Graham Hughes (England), Rowan Kitt (England), Ben Skeen (New Zealand) and Marius Jonker (South Africa).
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Re: RWC 2019 refs

Post by Dave Cahill »

brenno wrote:It's a sad indication of the state of reffing in the Pro14 that only one ref (Owens) and one assistant (Brace) makes it on to the RWC 2019 refs panel.
Its more an accurate reflection of the number of referees in the rugby populations of those countries. The issue is the number of people taking up refereeing at the base of the pyramid.

Ruckedtobits would probably know this better than I would, but I'd imagine that the numbers of people starting off refereeing is trending downwards.
I have Bumbleflex
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

One of the very unlucky guys is JP Doyle, who was, apparently, shafted by Alain Rolland for no given reason. JP is in his prime now and has huge experience in the Premiership and is a referee that Players and Coaches like - but maybe he doesn't follow instructions from above.

Very high % of French Referees and a low % of SA & Irish Refs - e.g. One Irish AR and one SA Ref. Not convinced about Gardner or Peyper. Really like Raynal as a non-nonsense and low profile custodian of the game.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Dave Cahill wrote:Its more an accurate reflection of the number of referees in the rugby populations of those countries. The issue is the number of people taking up refereeing at the base of the pyramid.

Ruckedtobits would probably know this better than I would, but I'd imagine that the numbers of people starting off refereeing is trending downwards.
The zero tolerance to dissent thing came in at the start of 18/19 club season.

How it was phrased to me was "older more experienced refs can handle stuff said in the heat of moment/venting etc but that is not good enough for new refs who may be intimidated by it".

So interesting to see if it has helped to retain any more recent recruits.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Ruckedtobits wrote:One of the very unlucky guys is JP Doyle, who was, apparently, shafted by Alain Rolland for no given reason. JP is in his prime now and has huge experience in the Premiership and is a referee that Players and Coaches like - but maybe he doesn't follow instructions from above.

Very high % of French Referees and a low % of SA & Irish Refs - e.g. One Irish AR and one SA Ref. Not convinced about Gardner or Peyper. Really like Raynal as a non-nonsense and low profile custodian of the game.
The use of the phrase chillax in a professional capacity must be unforgivable