RWC2019 31-man squad

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

jimbobjoe
Mullet

RWC2019 31-man squad

Post by jimbobjoe »

I think the vast majority of positions are dead certs but looking at the squad there's a few interesting decisions to be made.

In 2015 there were 17 forwards and 14 backs with a makeup of;
2 x Loosehead
3 x Hooker
3 x Tighthead
4 x Second row
5 x Backrow
2 x Scrumhalf
3 x Outhalf
4 x Wing
3 x Centre
2 x Fullback

Keeping that format I've got the following first choicers followed by possibles;

LH - Healy.......................................McGrath/Kilcoyne
H - Best, Cronin...............................Scannell/Herring
TH - Furlong, Porter, Ryan
L - Ryan, Toner, Henderson..................Beirne/Dillane/Roux
BR - Stander, POM, Ruddock, VDF, Conan...Murphy/Deegan
SH - Murray.....................................Cooney/Marmion
OH - Sexton, Carbery..........................Carty/Byrne
W - Larmour, Earls, Stockdale...............?
C - Henshaw, Ringrose, Aki..................Farrell/McCloskey
FB - Kearney.....................................Conway/Addison

Loosehead and hooker backups are tricky calls - could be a coin toss at the moment.

Beirne's ability to play 6 helps his case although Henderson can provide that option too - probably still an uphill challenge for Dillane and Roux.

Murphy has been a Joe favourite in the past and covers 6/7 but Ruddock and Conan are too hard to leave at home imo. Can't see Stander and POM getting dropped. JVDF is out most important backrower.

Reckon Marmion will get the nod, although I'd like to think Cooney's placekicking and ability to cover 10 in a dire situation would be valuable.

Tough call at 10 backup - Carbery will travel as 2nd choice despite Carty having form. Carbery might cover 15 or 12 which could free up spots elsewhere. Byrne needs injuries to travel.

Three centres are certain - Farrell or McCloskey in with a shout if Joe thinks the workload could be too much on them

Only three standout wings. I reckon Conway will travel as wing/fb backup.

Kearney first choice with Larmour, Stockdale or Carbery to provide the option. Addison for 13/15 role could be interesting but Conway likely gets the 31st seat.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Re: RWC2019 31-man squad

Post by ronk »

I think we need to bring 3 loosehead. We didnt have the options before. We can save on a lock and a winger/fullback if we need.
leinster23
Bookworm

Post by leinster23 »

ronk wrote:I think we need to bring 3 loosehead. We didnt have the options before. We can save on a lock and a winger/fullback if we need.
Do we need six props? John Ryan or Andrew Porter should be able to cover across if needed.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

leinster23 wrote:
ronk wrote:I think we need to bring 3 loosehead. We didnt have the options before. We can save on a lock and a winger/fullback if we need.
Do we need six props? John Ryan or Andrew Porter should be able to cover across if needed.
Need is relative. There’s always been a hint of accommodating depth in a position and not bothering with depth of there isn’t a viable option.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

I'd personally prefer an 18/13 split. 5 props, 3 Hookers, 4 Second rows and 6 backrows. We should be fine with 5 half backs, given Cooney in there, and then 3 centers and 5 back three players. In the last few world cups, the spare back three players were barely used anyway.

If we go with 17/14, then it's for an extra fly half at the cost of a back rower. If we do that, Ruddock probably misses out (I'd leave stander out personally). Jordi needs to travel now, as he's the only realistic openside cover. Playing VDF in every game would be idiocy.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Hookers (3)
Best, Cronin, Scannell

Props (5)
Healy, Kilcoyne, Furlong, Porter, Ryan

Second Row (4)
Ryan, Toner, Hendo, Beirne

Back Row (6)
VDF, Conan, Stander, POM, Jordi, Rhys

Scrum Half (3)
Murray, Marmion, Cooney

Fly Half (2)
Sexton, Carbery

Centres (3)
Henshaw, Ringrose, Aki

Outside Backs (5)
RK, Earls, Larmour, Stockdale, Conway

Big questions for me are do you take Farrell or Conway? Farrell’s rigidity in position might harm him, you can’t really bench him either.
(I’d have Addison in if fit, his flexibility is hugely beneficial, but not sure he will be.)

Then are you too heavy on blindsides and blindside cover and do you take Rhys or TOD as an extra openside option? I think we really need to see either Rhys or POM play 7 in the warm-ups because I don't think TOD is good enough at this level.

One possible curveball - if Roux is fit, I would not at all be surprised to see him taken ahead of Beirne. I even think Kleyn could be taken ahead of Beirne too.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I see Zebo is at it again with social shitposting (and quick deletion).

Posted a meme of Schmidt with a filter making him look like a baby.

Ironically, it’s ‘Zeebs’ who looks like the child here, proving Schmidt right if anything.

(The fact he posts and then deletes makes it even funnier! If you’re going to say something, be a man and say it Simon lad.)
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

wixfjord wrote:I see Zebo is at it again with social shitposting (and quick deletion).

Posted a meme of Schmidt with a filter making him look like a baby.

Ironically, it’s ‘Zeebs’ who looks like the child here, proving Schmidt right if anything.

(The fact he posts and then deletes makes it even funnier! If you’re going to say something, be a man and say it Simon lad.)
It's the fox news method. Get it out make it loud, make it primetime and feed the base. The apology or correction will be aired after midnight.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

I love how bitter he is. An ego even larger than his ever growing backside.

He is no loss to Irish rugby.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

wixfjord wrote:Hookers (3)
Best, Cronin, Scannell

Props (5)
Healy, Kilcoyne, Furlong, Porter, Ryan

Second Row (4)
Ryan, Toner, Hendo, Beirne

Back Row (6)
VDF, Conan, Stander, POM, Jordi, Rhys

Scrum Half (3)
Murray, Marmion, Cooney

Fly Half (2)
Sexton, Carbery

Centres (3)
Henshaw, Ringrose, Aki

Outside Backs (5)
RK, Earls, Larmour, Stockdale, Conway

Big questions for me are do you take Farrell or Conway? Farrell’s rigidity in position might harm him, you can’t really bench him either.
(I’d have Addison in if fit, his flexibility is hugely beneficial, but not sure he will be.)

Then are you too heavy on blindsides and blindside cover and do you take Rhys or TOD as an extra openside option? I think we really need to see either Rhys or POM play 7 in the warm-ups because I don't think TOD is good enough at this level.

One possible curveball - if Roux is fit, I would not at all be surprised to see him taken ahead of Beirne. I even think Kleyn could be taken ahead of Beirne too.
Joe Schmidt picked O'Mahony at No7 for the last game of the Australia series. For me, he's a guy who could operate at openside for 50-55 minutes - he's very good at the breakdown, it fits his excellent lineout work into the team and it allows a more typical and powerful blindside to play at No6 [Stander or Ruddock]. Wouldn't have TOD in the training squad, never mind the RWC squad – he's a good lad, but his best form was four or five years ago, he's had a long list of serious injuries since and I don't see him competing at the physical level of test rugby that we saw in the Six Nations.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Ferris says that POM and CJs places are under threat.
He'd pick the Leinster en bloc.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

Oldschool wrote:Ferris says that POM and CJs places are under threat.
He'd pick the Leinster en bloc.
Liam Toland said something similar during the Pro14 Final. Didn't mention POM or CJ but said nobody could argue with Conan, VDF & Ruddock starting for Ireland.
John23
Enlightened

Post by John23 »

Cue outrage and meltdown on MF if that were to happen.
“Somedays you're the pigeon, somedays you're the statue.”
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

Fez knows. If we was blindside vs POM he'd eat him alive.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

I'd really love to see Beirne tried at 6 in the warm ups. It seems like the obvious answer to the England & South Africa power game problem.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I'd like to see Beirne at 6 too, but I don't think he's the answer to overcoming a massive pack like SA or England either. For me Ruddock would be perfect for that. Beirne is great when he's allowed to roam around and carry a bit wider, but like POM you need two other guys who will pick up some of the slack if he does that imo.

I also don't think Beirne is big or powerful enough to start at second row ahead of Dev, Ryan or Hendo btw and I think Joe might agree (which is why I have a sneaking suspicion that Beirne might not even make the plane...).
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

wixfjord wrote:I'd like to see Beirne at 6 too, but I don't think he's the answer to overcoming a massive pack like SA or England either. For me Ruddock would be perfect for that. Beirne is great when he's allowed to roam around and carry a bit wider, but like POM you need two other guys who will pick up some of the slack if he does that imo.

I also don't think Beirne is big or powerful enough to start at second row ahead of Dev, Ryan or Hendo btw and I think Joe might agree (which is why I have a sneaking suspicion that Beirne might not even make the plane...).
Good analysis.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
betty swallocks
Bookworm

Post by betty swallocks »

I don't think this will be far off. There's room for one bolter, and I think that could be Max Deegan.

LH - Healy, Kilcoyne.
TH - Furlong, Porter, Bealham.
Hooker - Best, Scannell, Cronin.
Locks - Ryan, Toner, Henderson, Kleyn,
Flankers - van der Flier, Ruddock, O'Mahony, Stander, Deegan.
No 8 - Conan.
Scrum Halves - Murray, Marmion, Cooney.
Out Halves - Sexton, Carbery.
Centres - Aki, Ringrose, Henshaw.
Back 3 - R Kearney, Earls, Larmour, Stockdale, Conway.

On standby - J McGrath, Beirne, Jordi Murphy, Carty, Addison (if fit).
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Really can't see Deegan getting in ahead of Jordi, particularly with our troubles at 7. We're 6/8 heavy as it is!
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

CiaranIrl wrote:I'd really love to see Beirne tried at 6 in the warm ups. It seems like the obvious answer to the England & South Africa power game problem.
I agree, can’t understand why more people aren’t saying this. He’s a old lineout jumper and great on the ground, carries well, avoids contact when it’s an option and can even pass :O

I also think POM can be an effective 7, should we need another one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk