Oldschool
Cian Healy

RWC 2019 Warmup Games

Post by Oldschool »

Ireland v Italy. 10th Aug
England v Ireland. 24th Aug
Wales v Ireland. 31st Aug
Ireland v Wales. 7th Sep.
The main talking point will be what strategy will Joe use selection wise.
Will it be fine tuning final/marginal selection.
Will it be putting selection pods together.
Will it be playing Murray and Joey together in case the unthinkable happens or maybe just as necessary, Sexton with SH 2 in case the other unthinkable happens.
Anyway Italy up first.
The big talking point will be the coaching ticket.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Re: RWC 2019 Warmup Games

Post by neill_m »

For Info

Ireland v Italy. 10th Aug 2pm Channel 4 / RTE2
England v Ireland. 24th Aug 3pm Sky Sports Action / Main Event
Wales v Ireland. 31st Aug 2:30pm Channel 4
Ireland v Wales. 7th Sep. 2pm Channel 4 / RTE2
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

So the deadline for naming the 31 strong squad is Monday September 2nd. This means the 1st 3 games could be used primarily to decide the remaining spots not nailed down in the 31. How many spots do people think that is? Game 4 is after the squad confirmation and they may wish to give some more of the certain travellers a game before the opening match v Scotland.

Injuries to key players in these games and missing the plane to Japan is the elephant in the room and the likes of Sexton, Murray etc maybe should used be sparingly in these matches.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Any indications for the likely selections for the Italy game.
Will they take cash at the styles, I suppose not?
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Oldschool wrote:Any indications for the likely selections for the Italy game.
Will they take cash at the styles, I suppose not?
There's usually a ticket van of some description in the environs around Lansdowne Road. It's a long way off being sold out.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

neill_m wrote:So the deadline for naming the 31 strong squad is Monday September 2nd. This means the 1st 3 games could be used primarily to decide the remaining spots not nailed down in the 31. How many spots do people think that is? Game 4 is after the squad confirmation and they may wish to give some more of the certain travellers a game before the opening match v Scotland.

Injuries to key players in these games and missing the plane to Japan is the elephant in the room and the likes of Sexton, Murray etc maybe should used be sparingly in these matches.
Barring injury, most of the 31-man squad will already be nailed down and a few of the remaining choices will largely be dependent on the breakdown of the squad by position. 5 or 6 props, the split between second and back-row. Do we need 5 or 6 half-backs, how many centres etc,

It could well just be my impression but the nature of these types of games means it's often more obvious to spot who's played their way out of contention than put their hand up to be picked. 2011 stands out in my memory as an example of that.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

Team is out..

https://www.the42.ie/ireland-team-italy ... 7-Aug2019/

15. Jordan Larmour
14. Andrew Conway
13. Garry Ringrose
12. Chris Farrell
11. Dave Kearney
10. Joey Carbery
9. Luke McGrath
1. Jack McGrath
2. Rob Herring
3. Andrew Porter
4. Devin Toner
5. Jean Kleyn
6. Rhys Ruddock (Capt)
7. Tommy O’Donnell
8. Jordi Murphy

Replacements

16. Niall Scannell
17. Cian Healy
18. John Ryan
19. Iain Henderson
20. Tadhg Beirne
21. Kieran Marmion
22. Jack Carty
23. Mike Haley
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

jimbobjoe wrote:Team is out..

15. Jordan Larmour
14. Andrew Conway
13. Garry Ringrose
12. Chris Farrell
11. Dave Kearney
10. Joey Carbery
9. Luke McGrath
1. Jack McGrath
2. Rob Herring
3. Andrew Porter
4. Devin Toner
5. Jean Kleyn
6. Rhys Ruddock (Capt)
7. Tommy O’Donnell
8. Jordi Murphy

Replacements

16. Niall Scannell
17. Cian Healy
18. John Ryan
19. Iain Henderson
20. Tadhg Beirne
21. Kieran Marmion
22. Jack Carty
23. Mike Haley
(Almost exactly) Half that team look like the "Possibles" rather than the "Probables" - for those that recall the old days
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
Aird
Bookworm

Post by Aird »

I would go a step further and say that there were at least two impossibles.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

11 players from Leinster
2 poaches
1 Ulster
1 Munster
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

jimbobjoe wrote:Team is out..

15. Jordan Larmour
14. Andrew Conway
13. Garry Ringrose
12. Chris Farrell
11. Dave Kearney
10. Joey Carbery
9. Luke McGrath
1. Jack McGrath
2. Rob Herring
3. Andrew Porter
4. Devin Toner
5. Jean Kleyn
6. Rhys Ruddock (Capt)
7. Tommy O’Donnell
8. Jordi Murphy

Replacements

16. Niall Scannell
17. Cian Healy
18. John Ryan
19. Iain Henderson
20. Tadhg Beirne
21. Kieran Marmion
22. Jack Carty
23. Mike Haley
Some interesting combinations to watch. It will be interesting to see how Toner and Kleyn gel.

A lot of our normal ball carriers are missing so there'll be a lot asked of Porter, Farrell and Ruddock in terms of breaking gainlines.

It's not necessarily a formula for a good day at the office for the 1st warm up.

Nice to see Dave Kearney back.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Is there a match on today?

Seems quiet with such an important RWC warm up starting.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Now we may see how objective World Rugby Disciplinary Panel can be. Scott Barrett uses his shoulder only and connects with the back of Hooper's neck in a tackle. On Sky Sports both Sean Fitzpatrick and Greenwood defend Barrett and attack the decision of Garces who issued a Red Card. Appalling and two-faced commentary when World Rugby is trying to make the game safer.

The tackle was typical of some that Furlong and Porter have used in the past, entering breakdown or ruck situations and they must be more careful. The onus is on the tackler to exercise care - not the referee.

With Retallick already injured World Rugby should be totally objective in assessing Barrett's action and ignore the potential impact of NZ missing two of their best second-rows for the Tounament.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Mixed old performance there. Some weird calls from the referees - since when was the offside line counted from your feet, not the most forward part of your body?
Anyone But New Zealand
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

ronk wrote:Is there a match on today?

Seems quiet with such an important RWC warm up starting.
Ireland taking a while to 'warmup'.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Some players put their hands up for sure. Porter put in a big shift and did ok for his first go at LH at this level. Kleyn got through lots of work, Ruddock was a horse, both sets of half backs went well. Conway was good and the backs in general played well.

Others were middling. Not convinced fully of Lamour at fullback at this level, much better on the wing. Toner could have done better, and TOD wasn't at all noticeable and should have had more turnovers than Beirne did. Nordi looked very rusty.
Anyone But New Zealand
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

Thought Conway was the only player who really stood out and made a move to get himself on the plane.

Sent from my SM-G531F using Tapatalk
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

Ireland need to end this tradition of giving the opposition an easy try at the start of each game just to get things going.
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

In a game that ranks among the most forgettable Irish internationals I have ever attended, Carbery's injury was the most important event from an Irish perspective. However, Schmidt and his fellow Coaches will have taken more from the game than mere fans and no doubt we will find out in the next few weeks just what they learned.

From where I was sitting, Conway, Farrell, Jack McGrath, Porter, Beirne, Ruddock all added to their credit in the bank.

Ringrose, Carbery, Marmion, Healy, Henderson & Toner don't need any rating and will be travelling if fit.

Larmour, Kearney, Carty, Scannell, John Ryan, Kleyn, O'Donnell had good and bad moments and will hope for a further chance to impress.

For Haley, Luke McGrath, Herring and Murphy, the chances of being in Japan next month have diminished, maybe even extinguished. Murphy, in particular, really disappointed and looked under-powered for an international backrow.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

You really seem to have it in for Luke McGrath, RTB. Maybe you mean his chances diminished because Marmion did well, but I thought Luke was very good. His passing was good and he kept the tempo up in really tough conditions where others struggled with the wet ball, and some of his defence was top class.

Thought it was noticeable that the tens very much called the shots though. In the Trends thread I wondered if the kicking we saw by England during the 6N would be a major tactic at the World Cup and the number of short kicks we saw today makes me think that it will be. We were also very clearly looking to kick crossfield from our 22, which is a tactic that might see Ross Byrne's stock soar after Joey's injury.

Conway was very good but I thought Ruddock was head and shoulders above everyone else. He really seemed to be on a mission to make it to Japan but is probably fighting for the most competitive spot in the squad, really interested to see who gets the nod. Beirne was certainly impressive too when he came on. I didn't share Joe's view of Kleyn's performance, thought he was fine but nothing to write home about, which is generally how I see his Munster performances too.

I was disappointed with the physicality of the forwards. Apart from Rhys I thought we looked underpowered in open play. Ringrose's clearout after DK's kick and chase probably embarassed the forwards a bit, they should be the ones doing that.