Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just keeping some action in the game
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Ireland Pool 2019 RWC

Post by OTT »

Well done Joe et al.

Japan next. :happy clapper:
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Good solid start.

Scotland were awful but partly because we made them be.

Pretty much all of our lads had a good solid game.

Delighted for Conway and Larmour.

A few of our big boys stood up well. Murray, CJ, Best, Hendo all back to good form.

Sexton's groin is worrying, he was fairly muted. But can be rested now.

Farrell & Kilcoyne again really good coming on. For a guy that can't scrum Kilcoyne sure wins a lot of scrum penalties.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Team for Japan?

With Best getting 80 we might see him rested. Might see POM out with HIA too. Probably need Carbery to get game time too.

Something like:

Healy, Scannell, Furlong, Ryan, Kleyn, Beirne, VDF, Stander, Murray, Carbery, Stockdale, Farrell, Ringer, Earls, Larmour
Kilcoyne, Cronin, Porter, Hendo, Conan, McGrath, Sexton, Conway
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Well done lads, as good as start as you could imagine. Well prepped and smooth throughout. Men v boys for most of it. Scotland atrocious throughout so tough to judge. Japan will be licking their lips v Scotland.

Barring something weird it's a qtr v South Africa which is going to define success or failure. Win it and anything possible, lose it and the journos already have the story written.
D2 Blue
Bookworm

Post by D2 Blue »

Great performance all round.
Strangled the scots up front and played the second half and the conditions much better than them.
They did well not to concede when Beirne was in the bin.

On another note, the tv coverage is shameful. AFAIK RTE only have 14 games and I don't think BBC has any live games. they might have Eng games.
I don't have eir or IT4(UK). I know coverage comes down to money but how do the organisers hope to generate interest if only highlight packages are shown.
Gwan Leinster!! Gwan Seapoint Dragons!!
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

wixfjord wrote:Good solid start.

Scotland were awful but partly because we made them be.

Pretty much all of our lads had a good solid game.

Delighted for Conway and Larmour.

A few of our big boys stood up well. Murray, CJ, Best, Hendo all back to good form.

Sexton's groin is worrying, he was fairly muted. But can be rested now.

Farrell & Kilcoyne again really good coming on. For a guy that can't scrum Kilcoyne sure wins a lot of scrum penalties.
Larmour looked like an old hand at it !! Oozing confidence. Hendo encouraging throughout too, big game and good to see Murray smooth and box kicking well. Sexton on ice till the south Africa game please. Carty was excellent when he came on so no issues there.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

Eddie is a dose.

Wants to make it about Scotland being rubbish then Ireland excellent.

Bitter f%~k?
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

OTT wrote:Eddie is a dose.

Wants to make it about Scotland being rubbish then Ireland excellent.

Bitter f%~k.

Heaslip winding him up about Larmour :lol:
Leinsterimp
Bookworm

Post by Leinsterimp »

D2 Blue wrote:Great performance all round.
Strangled the scots up front and played the second half and the conditions much better than them.

On another note, the tv coverage is shameful. AFAIK RTE only have 14 games and I don't think BBC has any live games. they might have Eng games.
I don't have eir or IT4(UK). I know coverage comes down to money but how do the organisers hope to generate interest if only highlight packages are shown.
Lucky to have all the games on ITV over here in UK, thought you could get that in Ireland too?
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

I realise this won’t help everyone but if you have Sky you can tune in ITV

D2 Blue
Bookworm

Post by D2 Blue »

Thanks lads but I'm with VirginMedia. I have ITV but Irish version so nothing but crappy reruns of old ITV series.
Of course I could have signed up to eir but that never happened. Still, it gives me something to complain about.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Twist wrote:

I realise this won’t help everyone but if you have Sky you can tune in ITV

Sure by usong "Services" then "Other Channels". But you can't record, freeze or pause the channel like this......or can you
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

D2 Blue wrote:Thanks lads but I'm with VirginMedia. I have ITV but Irish version so nothing but crappy reruns of old ITV series.
Of course I could have signed up to eir but that never happened. Still, it gives me something to complain about.
I have Virgin as well and am watching the Tonga/England game on Eir channel 410.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

On reflection.
A lot easier than most of us expected.
Well Jamie got it right at least, didn't he Eddie?
DOB shut Jamie down s bit yesterday but he was feeding Jamie some of his lines today.
Good for the ratings.
On the match.
We are going to have to win the RWC without Johnny.
Carberry needs to get and stay fit and Joe needs to give Byrne some homework so he's ready.
Addison too could be needed yet.
POM should have come off earlier but he's a HIA waiting to happen, very poor tackling technique and he'll be found out against SA for his lack of physical ity.
CJ must love playing with Conan, it's no coincidence that CJs two best games recently have been when Conan had been on the pitch.
Take my hat off to the back three and Larmour in particular.
Thought Barnes was very good, relaxed and patient and gave the players little rest breaks.
He played the conditions. Well done to him.
One final thought, Scotland don't play well away from home, they could be in a bit of bother against Japan who may well have a sympathetic referee.
It's good for the ratings don't ya know.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Aird
Bookworm

Post by Aird »

D2 blue I am on Sky and but here in N.Ireland both RTE and Eir are geo blocked in spite of having both on my subscription.
Our Freeview version of RTE is also blocked. So seems fair to me that ITV is blocked in the ROI.

Currently being bored to death by the ITV commentary trying to make the Tonga v England into an exciting and entertaining game and failing miserably
D2 Blue
Bookworm

Post by D2 Blue »

Fireworks wrote:
D2 Blue wrote:Thanks lads but I'm with VirginMedia. I have ITV but Irish version so nothing but crappy reruns of old ITV series.
I have Virgin as well and am watching the Tonga/England game on Eir channel 410.

Thanks Fireworks.
Yes, I went down through the channels and found eir sport on channel 410 (cue very red face! :oops: ). That was shortly after my rant.
My crappy vodafone broadband connection isnt helping me reply either. Constantly rebooting the modem.

The lack of coverage from "traditional" broadcasters isn't really helping, but I guess that's the way broadcasting is going
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Brilliant performance. Once Henderson and CJ started to rumble forward early on the doubts I've had since the 6N pretty much went away. Both looked really powerful and were excellent all day, and they weren't alone.

We mixed things up pretty well and our back three looked really sharp. Ringrose was a bit quiet in attack but defensively he was immense and was really eager for work, ball just didn't come his way. Farrell was great when he came on, really dominated midfield and showed great hands in awful conditions.

Murray and Sexton looked really good too. Sexton was definitely minding himself once he got injured (not bending down to secure the ball after Stockdale's break and then getting blown off the ball being an obvious example) but he was as good as he needed to be really.

The lineout may not have been under pressure but it was still very impressive. There was pressure in the sense that people had doubts about it and the conditions made things really difficult at times but we were really solid. It almost feels like James Ryan decided he was going to take control of the lineout after the Twickenham disaster, feels really dominant now. When Beirne was in the bin and we were missing Henderson and POM you'd have thought that we'd have been happy to get set on the ground for that Scottish lineout late on, but Ryan wasn't and stole it instead. Brilliant. Best was excellent as well and great to see him go the full 80, hugely encouraging.

A long way to go but we certainly ticked a few boxes today and look in great shape.

My one slight criticism is that I thought we were hesitant for some of the Scottish kicks. There were times (off all sorts of kicks, not necessarily high balls) where it seemed like two players were going for the ball and one of them would call it very late. We didn't mess any of those up but think that was partly because the Scottish chase was poor and the bounce of the ball was always in our favour today.
heno
Knowledgeable

Post by heno »

D2 Blue wrote:The lack of coverage from "traditional" broadcasters isn't really helping, but I guess that's the way broadcasting is going
If you ask me, I'm happy the way is going. The newer broadcasters offer a much higher quality product. The traditional model of keeping everything dumbed down in case you loose somebody and having a controversy stoker on the panel for the headlines (eg dunphy, hook, brolly) is neither entertaining nor informative.

Ps before someone says it, I know toland isn't to everyone's taste but I prefer him to lenihan.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Thought it was an excellent performance. Scotland looked sh!t because we gave them absolutely nothing to play with and controlled the game. Was really impressed with the bench, especially Conan and Carty.

TV Coverage: Toland makes me change the channel, Hes just really really bad. Being better than Lenihan is a really poor threshold :) On the other side of it, Flannery is really good on Eir Sports. His piece on the Irish lineout was simple and informative.