Ireland Pool 2019 RWC

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Re: Ireland Pool 2019 RWC

Post by neiliog93 »

Our next game will be significantly cooler and less humid (as will the rest of the tournament from mid-October onwards), which will hopefully help us a bit.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by wixfjord

We were pretty atrocious again.

Russia offered nothing and never really looked like doing much but we made so, so many errors.

Ruddock is a man who to me could have a big impact for us. Kilcoyne again showed his excellent form too.
Sexton looked energised when he was on too and thought Luke had a good game.
Agree with all except McGrath, felt he was headless for long periods. Admittedly he didn't get an armchair ride by the forwards but felt his speed and decision making wasn't great at times. Really wish Cooney or Marmion were out there cause Murray is nowhere near top form either.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

FLIP wrote:
dropkick wrote:Didn't get to see the game yet but it sounds bad from reading the comments.

I watch the first half of Samoa v Scotland the other day which took place in the same stadium and neither team could string 2 passes together. The ball was even squirting out of their hands when in possession. It looked like they were holding a big bar of soap. It looked worse than playing in rain.

Samoa like Russia got 0 points. You'd expect these teams to put some points on the board usually, especially Samoa.

That's not to say we would have been great in different conditions. The team is not looking great but the quarter final is all that matters now. We'll go into it as massive underdogs and all the pressure will be on the opposition which is something not to be underestimated. Get a good start in that game and it could be the spark the team needs.

Also the weather will start to cool a bit from now on and the players are acclimatising.
It was significantly cooler in the stadium than the Scotland match, having been at both.

3rd match in a row in that stadium which had a huge amount of errors.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

dropkick wrote: 3rd match in a row in that stadium which had a huge amount of errors.
Yes, I know, I was at 2 out of 3 of them. But heat and humidity were a million times better for our match than the first two. While the pitch was a state, we still weren't good enough.
Anyone But New Zealand
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

So if our game is put back 24 hours cos of the weather, is there any chance our potential QF will also be delayed? The turnaround time is already fairly tight.
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

Twist wrote:So if our game is put back 24 hours cos of the weather, is there any chance our potential QF will also be delayed? The turnaround time is already fairly tight.
I'd doubt it. Reckon they'd want to get back on schedule straight away and avoid inconveniencing fans any further.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Twist wrote:So if our game is put back 24 hours cos of the weather, is there any chance our potential QF will also be delayed? The turnaround time is already fairly tight.
Is we New Zealand? Eh?
That would be a no then.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
awaaf
Bookworm

Post by awaaf »

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthr ... 2058021226

The boards weather guys latest thinking is that we are off the hook for the cyclone and it may not effect any matches.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

awaaf wrote:https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthr ... 2058021226

The boards weather guys latest thinking is that we are off the hook for the cyclone and it may not effect any matches.
So yet again in Irish sporting history a storm in Saipan may impact on Ireland's sporting qualication in a World Cup. Funny how this small island has insinuated itself into the Irish sports mileau twice in 20 years.

For those two young to remember the saga, here's a quick summary of what unfolded the last time Saipan crossed paths with Ireland's sporting progress:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saipan_incident

Unfortunately, this time around our future won't be determined by a penalty shoot-out
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Ireland Pool 2019 RWC

Post by Twist »

Ok so if we win at all we’re very probably into a QF. But Scotland’s points difference is the best now by far, so if we win without a TBP and we all finish on 15 points then Japan are out

Right?
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Twist wrote:Ok so if we win at all we’re very probably into a QF. But Scotland’s points difference is the best now by far, so if we win without a TBP and we all finish on 15 points then Japan are out

Right?
No. The rules on this are utterly ridiculous.

If three teams finish level on points, the group winner is decided by pts diff, but the second and third places will be decided by the head-to-head record of the two remaining teams. That would almost certainly mean Ireland finishing third.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

cormac wrote:
Twist wrote:Ok so if we win at all we’re very probably into a QF. But Scotland’s points difference is the best now by far, so if we win without a TBP and we all finish on 15 points then Japan are out

Right?

If three teams finish level on points, the group winner is decided by pts diff, but the second and third places will be decided by the head-to-head record of the two remaining teams. That would almost certainly mean Ireland finishing third.
Actually it's easy to see the logic in that.
So pressure on.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

https://twitter.com/pauleddison/status/ ... 25472?s=20

Doubts over the Scotland Japan game due to the Typhoon. Official World Rugby presser at 4am Irish Time tomorrow.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

cormac wrote:

Right?

There's a logic to it. Essentially they would prefer to use the head-to-head match as a tie-breaker. You can't do that with a three way tie. So they use points difference to make the first determination and then fall back to the preferred way of deciding - head-to-head
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
Dundalk 1
Bookworm

Post by Dundalk 1 »

neill_m wrote:https://twitter.com/pauleddison/status/ ... 25472?s=20

Doubts over the Scotland Japan game due to the Typhoon. Official World Rugby presser at 4am Irish Time tomorrow.

The cunning Japs have been handed the match against us by Gardner
The bonus point against Samoa by Jaco

They mustn’t trust the ref this week so by abandoning the match they guarantee themselves the Group win and the Quarter against South Africa
Blue not red blood
Mullet

Post by Blue not red blood »

Just have a feeling that weekend break was a blessing for the squad.
Big performance on Saturday and onwards with confidence
COYBIG
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

Surprised Rhys is not starting (or at least subbing).

If we get to a quarter are we going to see Rhys and POM at 6 and 7?
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

OTT wrote:Surprised Rhys is not starting (or at least subbing).

Neither trained during the week apparently
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

CiaranIrl wrote:
OTT wrote:Surprised Rhys is not starting (or at least subbing).

Neither trained during the week apparently
Ah yeah I just saw that thanks, I had been going on the 'everyone trained except Jordi' we have been hearing all week, in fairness more fool me at this stage :lol:
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

According to MK Ruddock did train and this is a 'selection decision'.

If we're playing NZ as looks likely, I think the approach that we probably had planned for SA will need to be very different.

I've been of the opinion that Beirne isn't a top test level second row but could very well be a top test level 6 and could be a critical player in freeing our game up a bit. He has all the lineout and more of the ruck ability that POM has but a bit more athleticism about his game and also a bit more attacking wise too. Considering how structured our gameplan is, to win the next two games we'll need a little bit of magic.

That's more likely to come from someone like Beirne than from Ruddock or POM. And it's also more likely to come from Ringrose, Kilcoyne or Larmour than their counterparts too imo.