Ireland V Italy

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

groundhog
Knowledgeable

Ireland V Italy

Post by groundhog »

After the Autumn Internationals I was not looking foward to the 6 nations but the performances of Leinster and Munster in Europe have reignited my appetite. The biggest factor in this game sadly will be Eddie O'Sullivan, if he choses a conservative game plan and we play a numbers game I think we could struggle in the tight, the non-selection of Jennings or Gleeson doesn't augur well and it looks like O'Connor will start, O'Connor is very much a destructive player, not many better but his link play and hands are pretty poor and don't favour an open expansive game. Can't see us losing but if we play a conservative game, we will win by less than 10.
CM
Mullet

Post by CM »

Groundhog

I think very few people agree with O'Connor being in the 22. There's an outside chance that he'll start on the bench but let's assume he's starting. If he is then we at least have to look at what he can do not what he can't. He's not a great link man but he does win a lot of opposition ball and secure a lot of our own. Our backrow let us down in November when it came to passing but not when it came to ball retention and clean ball. The main problem was really how the team played as a whole. The support play was useless while the team looked confused. We weren't trying to play conservative rugby so I doubt that we'll see a boring gameplan. The main difference between then and now is not just BOD and POC returning but also the form of everyone else and the fact that all three provinces are now trying to play in a similar style (obviously not exactly the same but we're all throwing it about quite a bit).

Don't forget that Leinster's last game before the November games at full strength was against Glasgow where we looked as clueless as Ireland while Munster's was a forward dominated win over Castres, both teams having lost to English opposition the week before. If we can accept that those two teams have progressed a lot then we have to be hopeful that Ireland will too.
groundhog
Knowledgeable

CM

Post by groundhog »

O'Connor I think suffers a little bit from being out of sight in England, he is keeping the highly rated Tom Rees out of the Wasps side. He is excellent at slowing down the ball and is a pure groundhog, my concern over his selection is that the Italians will be very physical at the breakdown, I'd sooner we kept the ball alive rather than hitting the deck and looking to ruck over. O'Connor and Easterby to a lesser extent are very much suited to a quick rucking game whereas a selection of Gleeson/Jennings and Wallace would suit a more keeping the ball alive ala Wales approach. I'm just concerned that even though the Provinces are developing this new approach and its looking good I have to say, their individual backrows are more suited than the possible Irish backrow to this approach. Wales who are the template for this gameplan if you ask me always pick a mobile ball handling back-row. I think even if we get the tactics right we might have picked the wrong back-row. I hope I'm wrong though......
The French pulled up the Scots' kilts and discovered they had no balls - Zinzan Brooke
CM
Mullet

Post by CM »

groundhog, I share your concerns. I hope we're both wrong.
The Girvanator
Beginner

Re: CM

Post by The Girvanator »

groundhog wrote:O'Connor I think suffers a little bit from being out of sight in England, he is keeping the highly rated Tom Rees out of the Wasps side. He is excellent at slowing down the ball and is a pure groundhog, my concern over his selection is that the Italians will be very physical at the breakdown, I'd sooner we kept the ball alive rather than hitting the deck and looking to ruck over. O'Connor and Easterby to a lesser extent are very much suited to a quick rucking game whereas a selection of Gleeson/Jennings and Wallace would suit a more keeping the ball alive ala Wales approach. I'm just concerned that even though the Provinces are developing this new approach and its looking good I have to say, their individual backrows are more suited than the possible Irish backrow to this approach. Wales who are the template for this gameplan if you ask me always pick a mobile ball handling back-row. I think even if we get the tactics right we might have picked the wrong back-row. I hope I'm wrong though......
I think that O'Connor has been in worse form in the GP since the AIs. He can't slot into the backline like Jennings can and can't pass. Plus, when Jennings last played against O'Connor, O'Connor got his ass whooped.

Shame to see Girv lose out with his injury. :(
TrueBlue
Enlightened

Post by TrueBlue »

Even if Girv was fit, EOS would have still remained with Murphy. JOC is average at best, with Jennings and Wallace far better. Leicester fans are raving about Jennings :D , and as you said he was far better than JOC recently.

I dont really mind the selection in general, because at the end of the day(Bill O'Herlihy thank you very much), its the style of rugby we play that counts. While I would have loved to see a backrow of Leamy/Jennings/Heaslip, if we play the open rugby Wales played last 6N I will be ana sasta a fad. WE can not only play similar rugby to that Wales side, but the players we have can surpass that style with ease :wink: .

We will have to wait and see.............
Leinster-Heineken European Cup Champions 2007
harryp
Rhys Ruddock

Post by harryp »

I'm not too disappointed with the Final 22, its EOS, and he was more open minded than expected. France & England picked their squads based on the World Cup in 18 months time, and with this being our difficult year (away trips to England & France, I think we should have too. Jennings, Heaslip, Kearney & Bowe will probably be central to the WC 2007, I think we should start giving them game time now. Jennings was left out of Leicesters squad this weekend, so I persume he's not fit.
Ladyboys, Ladyboys
Ladyboys oh Ladyboys :wink:
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Re: CM

Post by Duff Paddy »

groundhog wrote:O'Connor ... is excellent at slowing down the ball and is a pure groundhog, my concern over his selection is that the Italians will be very physical at the breakdown, I'd sooner we kept the ball alive rather than hitting the deck and looking to ruck over.
That is my take on it aswell. I cannot shake the memory of JOC being completely blown away by the Pumas and basically I'd like to see Ireland return to the type of game that Gleeson thrives on - basically one of the finest link men in the business when on form.
The Girvanator
Beginner

Post by The Girvanator »

O'Connor looks to be having an absolute mare at the moment against Bath. We're farked if Eddie decide to play him after the Italy math. :cry:
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

The Girvanator wrote:O'Connor looks to be having an absolute mare at the moment against Bath. We're farked if Eddie decide to play him after the Italy math. :cry:
Yep! Sin-binned as well. Compare and contrast with Gleeson last week. Oh dear Eddie! Oh dear!
epaddy
Shane Horgan

Post by epaddy »

Duff Paddy wrote:
The Girvanator wrote:O'Connor looks to be having an absolute mare at the moment against Bath. We're farked if Eddie decide to play him after the Italy math. :cry:
Yep! Sin-binned as well. Compare and contrast with Gleeson last week. Oh dear Eddie! Oh dear!
Falling off tackles too. Reddan seems to have a lot of Stringer in him with a break. Did a sh!t load of work around the fringes for Wasps
cj
Graduate

O'Connor

Post by cj »

In fairness cast your minds back to last year against the Italians, eddie went for a 'horses for courses' selection of Leamy at 7 and it definitely did not work. Playing Wallace at 7 this year would be a similar mistake...we need someone who can link, but who can also win everything on the deck. Much and all as I would love to see Gleeson play, he is not as good on the floor as O'Connor. I haven't seen enough of Jennings to comment, but from everything I've heard, he may ultimately be the best balance between the two, unless O'Connor develops his link play. So based on the 22 Eddie has selected, O'Connor has to start. He will do fine as well, and has proven himself in a green jersey. November was, however, the time to give all 3 a game each...
groundhog
Knowledgeable

Wasps v Bath

Post by groundhog »

O'Connor was very poor, seems to have gone of the boil, he wasn't helped in fairness by Joe Worsley or LBND who spent the whole game bitchin and moaning at everyone. Baths tight 5 were excellent. Reddan did very well when he came on and Staunton looked quite good in his 10 minute cameo.
O'Connors form is very worrying and doesn't augur well for next Saturday. Gleesons omission is looking very dubious by the day.
The French pulled up the Scots' kilts and discovered they had no balls - Zinzan Brooke
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

I think we all know that David Wallace is not a test-quality openside flanker - he may have something to contribute to the international team, possibly as blindside or an impact sub, but the omission of both Gleeson and Jennings is curious - both on superb form and O'Connor seemingly getting the nod by default.
groundhog
Knowledgeable

Re: O'Connor

Post by groundhog »

cj wrote: November was, however, the time to give all 3 a game each...
Don't think Gleeson was quite ready then but certainly Jennings should have been blooded , theres no chance conservative Eddie will throw him in at the deep end in the 6 nations. I just think the starting back-row which all assume will be Leamy, O'Connor and Easterby are all quite dogged and almost too similar. I think we could be looking at a very tight game plan with ROG pinning Italy to the corners and most of our attacking rugby coming off first phase ball. O'Sullivan could just want the win foremost to settle good ship Ireland and keep the press at bay a little longer..
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

I'd like to see

Leamy 6
Jennings 7
Heaslip 8
epaddy
Shane Horgan

Post by epaddy »

For me

Gleeson
Easterby
Leamy
groundhog
Knowledgeable

Post by groundhog »

For me Wallace, Foley, Leamy

Seriously haven't seen enough of Jennings this season so would go for
6. Leamy
7. Gleeson
8. Heaslip (He will be number 8 for the WC, so get him in now)

I'd have Wallace on the bench.
cj
Graduate

back row

Post by cj »

Agree with Leamy at 6 and Heaslip at 8 (and I think Eddie will too by next Autumn). As for 7, who knows...I'd like to see all three candidates get opportunities. How else will we know? It may not be ideal, but I suspect it may be the summer tour before Jennings can show us what he can do in a green shirt.
harryp
Rhys Ruddock

Post by harryp »

Duff Paddy wrote:I'd like to see
Leamy 6
Jennings 7
Heaslip 8
I'd go with that Duff. Got to think of the World Cup, all 3 are under 25/26 and playing well. Jennings in Round 5 of HC against Stade was hands down the best player on the pitch. Unfortunately went off injured just before HT.
Ladyboys, Ladyboys
Ladyboys oh Ladyboys :wink: