Irish Team

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

epaddy
Shane Horgan

Irish Team

Post by epaddy »

Ireland team to play Italy in RBS 6 Nations is announced.

...Brian O'Driscoll returns to lead the Ireland team on Saturday against Italy...

Brian O’Driscoll will make his first appearance for Ireland in almost a year, after being named as captain of the Ireland team to play Italy this Saturday in the opening game of the 2006 RBS Six Nations Championship. O’Driscoll will be winning his 60th cap, and will be captaining Ireland for the 23rd time.

Paul O’Connell is also named in the second row after missing the November internationals due to injury to win his 30th cap. He will be partnered in the second row by Malcolm O'Kelly, who yesterday signed a further two year deal that will see him play with Ireland and Leinster until 2007/08. Hooker Jerry Flannery has earned his first start for Ireland and will also be making his Six Nations debut.

The only uncapped player in the 22 is Wasps scrum half Eoin Reddan, who has been named among the replacements.

The Ireland team to play Italy in the RBS Six Nations Championship in Lansdowne Road on Saturday, 4th February 2006 at 13.30hrs is as follows:

Player / Club / Caps:

15. Geordan Murphy (Leicester) 34

14. Shane Horgan (Lansdowne / Leinster) 40

13. Brian O'Driscoll (C) (Blackrock College / Leinster) 59

12. Gordon D'Arcy (Lansdowne / Leinster) 15

11. Tommy Bowe (Belfast Harlequins / Ulster) 6

10. Ronan O'Gara (Cork Constitution / Munster) 55

9. Peter Stringer (Shannon / Munster) 61

1. Marcus Horan (Shannon / Munster) 33

2. Jerry Flannery (Shannon / Munster) 1

3. John Hayes (Bruff/ Munster) 57

4. Malcolm O'Kelly (St. Mary's College / Leinster) 75

5. Paul O'Connell (Young Munster / Munster) 29

6. Simon Easterby (Llanelli Scarlets) 44

7. David Wallace (Garryowen / Munster) 22

8. Denis Leamy (Cork Constitution / Munster) 6

Replacements:

16. Rory Best (Belfast Harlequins / Ulster) 2

17. Simon Best (Belfast Harlequins / Ulster) 10

18. Donncha O'Callaghan (Cork Constitution / Munster) 19

19. Johnny O'Connor (Wasps) 10

20. Eoin Reddan (Wasps) 0

21. David Humphreys (Dungannon / Ulster) 72

22. Andrew Trimble (Ballymena / Ulster) 2
Not too much to complain about, Wallys inclusion is a bright point but the lack of impact from the bench is worrying I reckon Wally forced his way into the team and Eddie had JOC in mind to start
[/quote]
cj
Graduate

Wallace

Post by cj »

Only selection that really raised an eyebrow was Wallace. Firstly, how can Eddie justify picking a 7 on the bench? And secondly, Wallace is a perfect ball-carrying impact sub, but he's not a 7. I sincerely hope he proves me wrong, but I fear we could struggle at the breakdown, even against the Italians. There's no way we can go in against the French with this backrow combo, we will be obliterated on the deck.

Ireland are blessed with three natural and gifted opensides. Andy Robinson would give his right hand to have any one of them available. Why have Jennings, Gleeson and O'Connor all been omitted? Madness.
glic
Knowledgeable

Post by glic »

EOS is still his old cautious self it's just that after the November internationals he had to be seen to make changes -hence Wallace coming into the starting 15. JOC is on the bench in case the Italians do us out of it at the breakdown he's not there as a dynamic game breaking substitue more of a cover all the angles tactical option.
harryp
Rhys Ruddock

Post by harryp »

Why is he selecting Wallace, who's primary role is as a Midfield Runner? This makes no sense. We have 2 World Class Centers to run Midfield Ball, resulting in probably the best midfield runner in the Premiership (GM) having to run angles he's unfamiliar with. Wally can work as an impact sub but that's it.

We have never had such strength in depth at No.7, and yet we play 3 6's? Just when we hoped EOS had turned a corner.
Ladyboys, Ladyboys
Ladyboys oh Ladyboys :wink:
cj
Graduate

selection

Post by cj »

Agreed. I also find Tommy Bowe's selection flawed and indicative of the style of play EOS will look to play. Kearney is a far more skillful and exciting player, and Hickie would also be a better option (who will hopefully be brought in for the France game). Bowe may be big, strong and fast, but he does not have the ability of someone like Trimble even. I realise that breaking up a midfield partnership like D'Arcy and Drico would be a mistake, but it seems detrimental to leave someone like Trimble on the bench...
epaddy
Shane Horgan

Post by epaddy »

CJ I think this is just a reluctance to play an Ulster player. A lack of trust maybe. But Bowe is a fine young player, he is worth a chance. This 6n is a few months too early for both Hickey adn Kearney
cj
Graduate

Bowe/Irish selection

Post by cj »

Epaddy, Would be surprised if Trimble's omission is an Ulster thing - after all there are more Ulster players in the 22 than Leinster players (even if all but one of the Ulster guys are on the bench).

As for Bowe, he is talented and could do a job for us, but he's not the sort of guy who should be getting his place in a team which should have aspirations to win the 6N. Trimble is, and he would walk into the English team at the moment. It's a poor selection. We have such a wealth of talent in the back 5 that I believe we should be picking the 5 best players available to us, and then sort out the positions (providing there's enough pace in there, which there would be). In other words, go for Drico, d'Arcy, Horgan, Murph and Trimble, then decide who to put on the wing.

Eddie just didn't have the courage of his convictions to go for Trimble. I reckon he was afraid to pick four recognised centres in his back 5. The reason it is short-sighted to have left Trimble out, is that all four 'centres' have tons of pace.

We'll still beat Italy though!
cj
Graduate

Wallace

Post by cj »

Harryp, I agree with everything you've said about Wallace. Delighted to see him in the team, but why not pick a recognised 7 as well? It begs the question of whether Eddie will drop Wallace for the rest of the 6N like he did with Leamy last year. No test team should be going in without a recognised 7 in this day and age. One of Italy's strengths will be slowing down the ball at the breakdown, and I reckon not having one of our three opensides out there will cost us 2-3 tries.
Crash
Graduate

Re: Wallace

Post by Crash »

cj wrote:Harryp, I agree with everything you've said about Wallace. Delighted to see him in the team, but why not pick a recognised 7 as well? It begs the question of whether Eddie will drop Wallace for the rest of the 6N like he did with Leamy last year. No test team should be going in without a recognised 7 in this day and age. One of Italy's strengths will be slowing down the ball at the breakdown, and I reckon not having one of our three opensides out there will cost us 2-3 tries.
cj

Wallace has been playing 7 for most of the season and is currently in great form as a 7. He's a better link player and broken field runner than O'Connor; a better ball carrier than O'Connor and at a push he can be used as a line out jumper. The only facet of 7 play that O'Connor is better than him is the dirty work on the ground. But Wallace has improved in this aspect this year. From the two 7s chosen in the squad, the right one is starting.
cj
Graduate

Wallace

Post by cj »

I realise Wallace has been playing with the 7 shirt on his back but his style of play is just not that of a 7, in the aspect which you referred to there...on the deck. He's a better all-round player than JOC, but not a better 7. Anyway my point is not just relative to the 22 that were picked - I'm asking why Glesson or Jennings aren't there in the first place. Imagine Leamy/Wallace at 6, Jennings/Gleeson at 7 and Heaslip at 8? That would be a lot better than the back row taking the field against Italy.
Crash
Graduate

Post by Crash »

I think Wallace is a better 7 than O'Connor. Ground work is not the only facet of 7 play. But I agree that Wallace is not the best 7 Ireland has. However, as has been stated before, Gleeson has only had a couple of truly outstanding performances this season, both after the squad was named. I don't doubt that he will be named in the squad for the French game. Jennings was unlucky not to be in the original squad and may be unlucky for a while longer unless either Wallace or O'Connor have shockers.
CM
Mullet

Post by CM »

cj

Have to disagree with you on Bowe/Trimble. I'd prefer Trimble to start but to say Bowe has nothing to offer at this level is simply untrue. He didn't have a great game against NZ but was very good against Oz. Trimble has around 4 games on the wing to his name and it's not as easy as you think to slot into at international level. Of course we know how outstanding Trimble can be in attack but back three positioning is nearly more important and Bowe has much more experience at that skill. He's fast, strong and a good offloader while he defends quite well. Give the guy a chance. What you're trying to say is similar to giving Kearney a run for a game or two and then deciding he's not up to it and ditching him forever. Bowe is still very young and will develop into a fine player for Ireland. As will Trimble. It's a good position to be in.
cj
Graduate

Bowe

Post by cj »

CM,

Never said Bowe had nothing to offer at international level - in fact I have played against him and rate him very very highly. I just think Trimble is better. My preferred option would be to see Drico and Trimble in the centre and D'Arcy on the wing or fullback, with Bowe dropping to the bench.

Bowe should not be ditched completely - he will be an Ireland legend by the time his career is finished. But I would prefer to see our best players on the pitch. It would be more risky to break up the Drico-Darce combo, but it would pay off, and if it did, we're suddenly looking at probably the best back 5 Ireland has ever produced.

For the record I also sincerely hope that Bowe proves me wrong on Saturday by scoring 3-4 tries!!
CM
Mullet

Post by CM »

cj

Ok, you didn't say he'd nothing to offer, apologies. But you did imply that the gulf was quite big between the two when comparing their ability to play on the wing. I'd disagree with this.

As for your preferred option I think one of the maddest things we could do now is break up the BOD/D'Arcy axis. I'm with you on preferring Trimble on the wing but I'm happy enough with Bowe. However I think we're in a nice place at the moment when it comes to outside back cover and there's no point panicking and chopping and changing when we don't have to. To be honest I think we'll see Hickie regain his spot by the end of the series and in that situation you'd probably keep Trimble on the bench with Bowe unfortunate to lose out.

As for saying Trimble would walk into the English team, well that really doesn't mean much!
cj
Graduate

England's centres etc.

Post by cj »

Agreed about England's centres - wouldn't make our 2nd XV!

You may be right about the midfield combo we have...I'm just quite disappointed to see our star player from the autumn not in the XV (Trimble). I hope Hickie regains his place - I'd say all he needs is one big performance for Leinster to get back into the Irish 22.
CM
Mullet

Post by CM »

cj

I think it's fair of you to say that Trimble performed the best in November but it is all relative to how the others played and the fact, through no fault of his own, that he didn't play against NZ. However since then everyone's back in form and while Trimble is also in form any 50/50 call is always going to go the way of the experienced player.

Just like Kearney and Heaslip, Trimble's time will come. I imagine that regardless of whether he starts he'll still have an impact in this year's 6N as I can imagine he'll be used off the bench to challenge tired legs in the closing stages of the game. Certainly a better impact sub than Dempsey!
cj
Graduate

Impact subs

Post by cj »

Agreed - I'd prefer to see experienced players like Dempsey or Hickie starting the games, with guys like Bowe and Timble being used as impact subs...although obviously Dempsey and Hickie could not be picked for Italy for different reason. Would have been interesting to see if Swerve would have started the game if he had been fit...do u reckon he would have been part of the clearout?
epaddy
Shane Horgan

Post by epaddy »

He was dropped, Eddie said so. Injury came after
*** image removed by mod ***

Epaddy, Freedom Fighter
CM
Mullet

Post by CM »

epaddy

He was in line for selection but that doesn't mean his injury didn't affect EOS's choice.
cj
Graduate

Swerve

Post by cj »

Are you sure? My understanding had been that he was only removed from the squad after injury was confirmed. Would seem a strange time to drop him - he's playing the rugby of his life.