POC should be Captain

Post by epaddy »

Cause he would just be better
*** image removed by mod ***

Epaddy, Freedom Fighter
ruck
Rhys Ruddock

Post by ruck »

didn't you disagree with a similar statement on munsterfans only this week?
I am the one who knocks!
CM
Mullet

Re: POC should be Captain

Post by CM »

epaddy wrote:Cause he would just be better
Dunno about that. I prefer forwards as captains so from that perspective I wouldn't be complaining but he hasn't impressed me massively over the years to suggest he should be ahead of BOD. Anyway, he's not going to change the captaincy mid-6N and I think it'd be hard to strip the captaincy from BOD unless he did something very wrong or was injured for ages.
epaddy
Shane Horgan

Post by epaddy »

I was actually just trying to stir up a debate. And be slightly ironic at the same time cause i can never find someone who supports the campain for POC to become captain that will give me good reason why
*** image removed by mod ***

Epaddy, Freedom Fighter
ruck
Rhys Ruddock

Post by ruck »

one good thing i did notice about him last week against Italy was the respect he commands on the pitch. there was a bit of a scrap about to commence, and he just strolled in there, seperated people, some were about to resist his efforts until they saw who it was and members of both teams just separated.
I am the one who knocks!
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

He's still the leader of the pack and for me that is a more important job than captain. It's him and not BOD that gets the pack fired up. All BOD has to do is decide whether to go for the posts or kick to tocuh. At the end of the day it doesn't make that much of a difference as to who is the captain.
ruck
Rhys Ruddock

Post by ruck »

thecoofreak wrote:He's still the leader of the pack and for me that is a more important job than captain. It's him and not BOD that gets the pack fired up. All BOD has to do is decide whether to go for the posts or kick to tocuh. At the end of the day it doesn't make that much of a difference as to who is the captain.
unless we had a captain who could influence the ref like Martin Johnson and Dallaglio could ... but neither of them are that kind of character anyway imo.
I am the one who knocks!
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

BOD looks like he is trying to influence refs but he is rubbish at doing it. Is in no way as effective as MJ.

On another point altogether, i was at a jct match earlier in the week and the i never saw a ref who was influenced as easily as this guy. Everytime someone in the crowd would shout out offside or something he would stick up his hand for a penalty. He was absolutely shite
ruck
Rhys Ruddock

Post by ruck »

was his surname Changelang? :lol:
dear god, the thought of another one of them out there is positively terrifying.
I am the one who knocks!
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

What's worse was that this was only a schoolboy game with f%~k all of a crowd at it.
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

ruck wrote:
thecoofreak wrote:He's still the leader of the pack and for me that is a more important job than captain. It's him and not BOD that gets the pack fired up. All BOD has to do is decide whether to go for the posts or kick to tocuh. At the end of the day it doesn't make that much of a difference as to who is the captain.
unless we had a captain who could influence the ref like Martin Johnson and Dallaglio could ... but neither of them are that kind of character anyway imo.
Johnno didn't come into his own until the latter half of his career. POC is young and there's plenty of time for him to develop as a captain/leader. I'm not particularly happy with BOD as captain - I don't like his style and the fact that he's a back. However, most people who favour POC for captain are just thickos who think ohhh, he's a bit like that Martin Johnson, isn't he?!? That right epaddy?
harryp
Rhys Ruddock

Post by harryp »

Ginger should be captain. The only reason we're arguing this is because he's Munster.

He was effectively Captain of the Lions for the 2nd & 3rd tests, he has an unfasable professional never say die attitude and is the most consistent performer in a green jersey.

BOD was again almost Binned for Stamping. He's a great player, but O'Connell is just the natural leader.
Ladyboys, Ladyboys
Ladyboys oh Ladyboys :wink:
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

harryp wrote: O'Connell is just the natural leader.
i dunno, Anthony Foley might have something to say about that.
CM
Mullet

Post by CM »

He was effectively Captain of the Lions for the 2nd & 3rd tests
Shouldn't that count against him?
BOD was again almost Binned for Stamping.
Nearly all of the great captains have had their run ins with the foul play laws of the game. It's because they play the game to the limit and that's the very reason they're good captains. POC's ill advised shoulder charge in the 2nd Lions test was probably the worst mistake of anyone over the course of the series and much worse than any mistakes BOD has ever made.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

harryp wrote:Ginger should be captain. The only reason we're arguing this is because he's Munster.

He was effectively Captain of the Lions for the 2nd & 3rd tests, he has an unfasable professional never say die attitude and is the most consistent performer in a green jersey.

BOD was again almost Binned for Stamping. He's a great player, but O'Connell is just the natural leader.
Errr.....was that not POC going needlessly over the top to smack someone with the try line beckoning for a 14 point Lions win?

By the way, if POC is so inspirational, how come the pack gave up last week, were hammered against France and when he was captain in Paris 2 years ago, he skippered one of the more gutless performances in Irish rugby history!

I love him as a player - but let's be balanced.....
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
bluesky
Mullet

Post by bluesky »

Flash Gordon wrote:
harryp wrote:Ginger should be captain. The only reason we're arguing this is because he's Munster.

Errr.....was that not POC going needlessly over the top to smack someone with the try line beckoning for a 14 point Lions win?

By the way, if POC is so inspirational, how come the pack gave up last week, were hammered against France and when he was captain in Paris 2 years ago, he skippered one of the more gutless performances in Irish rugby history!

POC is the obvious choice for Captain but it seems to deeply affect his game. He is a better leader not as Captain.
The real Captain was sitting watching the game back in Ireland.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

bluesky wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote:

POC is the obvious choice for Captain but it seems to deeply affect his game. He is a better leader not as Captain.
You mean the Swerve? :wink:
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
bluesky
Mullet

Post by bluesky »

Flash Gordon wrote:
bluesky wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote: Errr.....was that not POC going needlessly over the top to smack someone with the try line beckoning for a 14 point Lions win?

You mean the Swerve? :wink:
Well, I would have him as Captain, he would be dead polite to the President! Nah Foley or Gleeson for me as Captain.
ckav
Seán Cronin

Post by ckav »

ruck wrote:didn't you disagree with a similar statement on munsterfans only this week?
Thats not really relevant to this website, Ruck - hope you don't mind me saying so, but none of us wants this website to go the way M'fans did...

And for the record - BOD was never a good choice as captain, which is not a slur on his character. I just think it simply doens't suit him. Give it to Paul O'Connell without a doubt.
Ballyman
Knowledgeable

Post by Ballyman »

ckav wrote:
ruck wrote:didn't you disagree with a similar statement on munsterfans only this week?
Thats not really relevant to this website, Ruck - hope you don't mind me saying so, but none of us wants this website to go the way M'fans did...
Course it's relevant. He made a statement elsewhere stating something different.
If Bertie goes on the BBC and says that Brian Cowen is a rabid donkey and then goes on RTE declares Brian Cowen to be a wonderful man, is it not relevant either cos it was stated elsewhere??
You really are an incredible muppet. You have this bossy bitchy attitude that really pisses everyone off. You cannot argue anything with you. In your small mind you are right in everything you say and you cannot debate anything without trying to be all mighty and grand. It's going to be a long fall when you decide to come off that high horse of yours. Whatever you throw back at me is pure and utter nonsense and I will not justify it with a response. So don't bother.
It happened and I was there.
4.48pm, Saturday 20th May 2006.