France V Ireland Verdict

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

France V Ireland Verdict

Post by Duff Paddy »

Lamentable. I sincerely hope that the fightback in the second half doesn't cloud peoples judgement of the farcical reality of todays game.

JOHN HAYES - 2
JERRY FLANNERY - 3
REGGIE CORRIGAN - 2

PAUL O'CONNELL - 6
MAL O'KELLY - 2

SIMON EASTERBY - 2
DENIS LEAMY - 4
DAVID WALLACE - 5

PETER STRINGER - 3
RONAN O'GARA - 3

GORDON D'ARCY - 6
BRIAN O'DRISCOLL - 3

SHANE HORGAN - 5
TOMMY BOWE - 2
GEORDAN MURPHY - 1
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Re: France V Ireland Verdict

Post by thecoolfreak »

Duff Paddy wrote:Lamentable. I sincerely hope that the fightback in the second half doesn't cloud peoples judgement of the farcical reality of todays game.

JOHN HAYES - 2
JERRY FLANNERY - 3
REGGIE CORRIGAN - 2

PAUL O'CONNELL - 6
MAL O'KELLY - 2

SIMON EASTERBY - 2
DENIS LEAMY - 4
DAVID WALLACE - 5

PETER STRINGER - 3
RONAN O'GARA - 3

GORDON D'ARCY - 6
BRIAN O'DRISCOLL - 3

SHANE HORGAN - 5
TOMMY BOWE - 2
GEORDAN MURPHY - 1
BULLSHIT
scotscor
Knowledgeable

Post by scotscor »

Duff Paddy wrote:Lamentable. I sincerely hope that the fightback in the second half doesn't cloud peoples judgement of the farcical reality of todays game.

JOHN HAYES - 2
JERRY FLANNERY - 3
REGGIE CORRIGAN - 2

PAUL O'CONNELL - 6
MAL O'KELLY - 2

SIMON EASTERBY - 2
DENIS LEAMY - 4
DAVID WALLACE - 5

PETER STRINGER - 3
RONAN O'GARA - 3

GORDON D'ARCY - 6
BRIAN O'DRISCOLL - 3

SHANE HORGAN - 5
TOMMY BOWE - 2
GEORDAN MURPHY - 1
Thought Stringer was good and would drop bowe, reggie and mal lower. But otherwise think its spot on. would add:
DOC 7
Best 5
Trimble 7
We won just twice
TrueBlue
Enlightened

Post by TrueBlue »

Thought Stringer was good
Im sorry, but Stringer is the primary cause of our sluggish backline. While people may say that his passing was good, the point is that due to the one dimensional game that he possessess, it allows the defense to target our outside backs more effectively. As well as this, it doesnt help that ROG keeps firing balls to D'arcy as he's about to be tackled. That was an awful performance from ROG, especially his tackling which was atrociouss!
:x
The backline wasnt deep enough, and yes I agree that the four trys are going to cloud peoples judgement of what was an awful performance, and the only reason we got close was due to a less determined French defence-thats all!!!

Horan to come back, Dempsey for Murphy, with him moved to the wing....I want to see Reddan given a go, and see how his half-breaks etc. help our cause out wide. LEAMY IS NOT AN 8-he was cr@p in the first half!!As Hooky said Heaslip is far better. Move Leamy to 6, Wallace OK again, but Gleeson offers more. Best for Hayes...Best was very evident in the loose today when he came on.

Unforetunately, we will see minimal changes, and we will beat Wales due to their inferior pack. England will beat us handsomely I think. :cry:

D'arcy MOM by far!
Leinster-Heineken European Cup Champions 2007
Imperial Mongoonybus
Knowledgeable

Post by Imperial Mongoonybus »

JOHN HAYES - 2
JERRY FLANNERY - 3
REGGIE CORRIGAN - 2

PAUL O'CONNELL - 6
MAL O'KELLY - 2

SIMON EASTERBY - 2
DENIS LEAMY - 4
DAVID WALLACE - 5

PETER STRINGER - 3
RONAN O'GARA - 3

GORDON D'ARCY - 6
BRIAN O'DRISCOLL - 3

SHANE HORGAN - 5
TOMMY BOWE - 2
GEORDAN MURPHY - 1
Take off thre beer goggles :lol:

Mal - 0. Needs to retire.
Reggie - 0. Similar.
harryp
Rhys Ruddock

Post by harryp »

The way I see it is we were beaten by 40 points, primarily because our mid 5 (6-10) were abismal.
With the current Backrow, we are effectively playing a game with a five man pack, 3 centres & 3 wingers. I still have no idea where Easterbunny was hiding. Leamy spent the whole game holding Tommy Bowes hand on the Left Wing, he only showed up to play crash balls. Again no Ruck time.
As for Wallace. His level of effort was appalling. Based on his performance today he should be ashamed to call himself Irish or wear an Irish Jersey. He stood at IC and watched our world class backs ruck ball for him???? Strings was sh!t, and ROG, well we all know we need an option at OH. Christ his head dropped after 2 mins. There were mistakes elsewhere, but I see the biggest failing being the Breakdown vis a vis Ball Retention and Speed of Use.

There were positives though. I know it was a very lacklustre French performance in the 2nd half, but we showed what we are capable of. With a bit of fine tuning, ie a Backrow that can play that game, we can play exciting Rugby. In the 2nd half we effectively bypassed 6 to 10 with the exception of Strings, who had a stormer. ROG got no ball, and we played unreal. GM played the most mesmeric 30 mins of rugby I've seen him play in an Ireland Jersey. Darce, Shaggy & Ginger were unreal. I think its safe to say that EOS had no input into the conscious decision to change tactics midway thru the 2nd half. And it worked.

I don't think we are too far from being the finished article, we just need a backrow, and a bit of variety from 9 out.
Ladyboys, Ladyboys
Ladyboys oh Ladyboys :wink:
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

I don't agree with your assessment of Wallace Harry. The style of play he has is perfectly suited to a mauling side, like Munster, with limited ability in the outside backs. For Munster, a team who don't put the ball on the ground, a player in the 10-12 and 12-13 channels who can hit it up and remain on his feet is invaluable, especially now that Hendo is past his best. Thats his game, he does it better than pretty much anyone around, and it was what he was doing today. However, today he was standing between Darcy and O'Driscoll, and the last thing they need is a guy getting in the way of what was already diabolically slow ball, due in part, it must be admitted, to the lack of a genuine openside flanker like Gleeson, Jennings or McMillan.

I wouldn't question his effort or application, both of which were 100%, but would instead suggest it was misplaced. A top class 6 or 8 he can be, but an international 7, never.

btw, it was typical of EOS' half arsed tactical approach to see the Irish kickoffs. One of Leinsters most successful ploys has been the straight kick for Horgan to chase, which was attempted today...however the thing that makes it work for us is the openside flanker winning the knockdown...but we selected three blindsides instead.
I have Bumbleflex
ruck
Rhys Ruddock

Post by ruck »

Dave Cahill wrote:
btw, it was typical of EOS' half arsed tactical approach to see the Irish kickoffs. One of Leinsters most successful ploys has been the straight kick for Horgan to chase, which was attempted today...however the thing that makes it work for us is the openside flanker winning the knockdown...but we selected three blindsides instead.
watch SA clean up on this this year. they have the kerry GAA coach down this season teaching them the skills to catch a ball GAA style and not rugby style. they'll clean up in the tri nations with that approach.
I am the one who knocks!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

ruck wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
watch SA clean up on this this year. they have the kerry GAA coach down this season teaching them the skills to catch a ball GAA style and not rugby style. they'll clean up in the tri nations with that approach.
Nah, hes a kerryman, so what'll happen is they'll look good for a bit, talk themselves up as the greatest thing since sliced bread, before getting hockeyed by Tyron...I mean New Zealand! :lol:
I have Bumbleflex
JoseFantastique
Mullet

Post by JoseFantastique »

Wallace, Horgan and O'Connell were the only Irish players worth a mention in the first half. Go back to the video and watch the work Wallace is doing, he was also covering alot of Leamy's work, second half was different, the ball being presented by Ireland was a lot better and Wallace wasn't needed in the tight, hence he went carrying the ball more.
harryp
Rhys Ruddock

Post by harryp »

JoseFantastique wrote:Wallace, Horgan and O'Connell were the only Irish players worth a mention in the first half. Go back to the video and watch the work Wallace is doing, he was also covering alot of Leamy's work, second half was different, the ball being presented by Ireland was a lot better and Wallace wasn't needed in the tight, hence he went carrying the ball more.
I can't agree with you there. The game style mightn't have suited him, but you don't throw a tantrum. Wallace was not in the tight at any point in the game. He was always in camera shot, close to the action, without actually doing anything, just like Mary Harney!!! How many tackles did he make, how many rucks was he involved in, how many turnover balls did he win. He was a constant pillar.

I'm not questioning his abilities, just his committment, professionalism and attitude. Rugby is as much about what you don't do on the pitch as what you do do. And he did nothing. Any one of us would give our right arms to pull on a Green Jersey, and would give 200% and die trying. So why is it ok to allow a professional to give 60%?
Ladyboys, Ladyboys
TrueBlue
Enlightened

Post by TrueBlue »

My team vs. Wales EOS's team
15-Dempsey 15-Murphy
14-Horgan 14-Horgan
13-BOD 13-BOD
12-D'arcy 12-D'arcy
11-Murphy 11-Trimble
10-ROG :cry: 10-ROG
9-Reddan 9-Stringer
8-Heaslip 8-Leamy
7-Gleeson 7-Wallace
6-Leamy 6-Easterby
5-POC 5-POC
4-DOC 4-DOC
3-S. Best 3-Hayes
2-Flannerry 2-Flannery
1-Horan 1-Horan

So, me and Eddie have 7 players in the same position, with 2 making positional changes.............god its depressing :cry: :cry: ..........roll on APRIL FOOLS DAY and TOULOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Leinster-Heineken European Cup Champions 2007
harryp
Rhys Ruddock

Post by harryp »

TrueBlue wrote:My team vs. Wales EOS's team
EOS's Team. Why???????? :oops:

The worst thing about yesterday was, at half time there was hope. If the game continued the way it was going, EOS would have been shafted by the 6 o'clock news. At 40 points down, Hookey was writing the obituary, and preparing his list of potential successors.

All todays papers are talking about one of the great Irish Comebacks of all time. (Someone shoot Brendan Fanning). Now we're stuck with him until the WC. Soo close.
Ladyboys, Ladyboys
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

Dave Cahill wrote:
Spot on Dave!

Horgan won quite a few of the restarts but after he slapped it back, there was nobody waiting to collect the bloody thing!

And if you watch the French tackling for some of our second half tries, how can anyone say that we should be optimistic? They were basically laughing at us - out of sight by half time, kept us at arms length for the entire game.
epaddy
Shane Horgan

Post by epaddy »

JOHN HAYES - 0
JERRY FLANNERY - 5
REGGIE CORRIGAN - 2

PAUL O'CONNELL - 7
MAL O'KELLY - 0

SIMON EASTERBY - 5
DENIS LEAMY - 2
DAVID WALLACE - 6

PETER STRINGER - 0
RONAN O'GARA - 0

GORDON D'ARCY - 8
BRIAN O'DRISCOLL - 5

SHANE HORGAN - 9
TOMMY BOWE - 0
GEORDAN MURPHY - 0
*** image removed by mod ***

Epaddy, Freedom Fighter
CM
Mullet

Post by CM »

Horgan won quite a few of the restarts but after he slapped it back, there was nobody waiting to collect the bloody thing!
Well, apart from D'Arcy who may have scored a legitimate try. Honiss called his 'knock on' as backwards. Then the touch judge called D'Arcy's kick through as a knock on. That was the type of luck we were getting in the 1st half.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

CM wrote:
Well, apart from D'Arcy who may have scored a legitimate try. Honiss called his 'knock on' as backwards. Then the touch judge called D'Arcy's kick through as a knock on. That was the type of luck we were getting in the 1st half.
Yeah it was luck. If we'd had luck we'd have won......We were rubbish. It was like being back in the 90's, these days weren't supposed to happen anymore.

Look at our last few games:
1. Lost at home to France
2. Hammered by Wales
3. Humiliated by the Blacks
4. Beaten by the worst Australian team I can remember
5. Dominated at times by Romania!!!!
6. Should have lost to Italy (thanks ref)
7. Humiliated by the French - scale of defeat disguised by the fact that the French couldn't be ar$ed, they cleared their bench and the players ditched the O'Sullivan game plan.

Eddie talks about being judged on his record. Well, his record says we're $hite and getting worse.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
harryp
Rhys Ruddock

Post by harryp »

Flash Gordon wrote:
CM wrote:
Yeah it was luck. If we'd had luck we'd have won......We were rubbish. It was like being back in the 90's, these days weren't supposed to happen anymore.

Look at our last few games:
1. Lost at home to France
2. Hammered by Wales
3. Humiliated by the Blacks
4. Beaten by the worst Australian team I can remember
5. Dominated at times by Romania!!!!
6. Should have lost to Italy (thanks ref)
7. Humiliated by the French - scale of defeat disguised by the fact that the French couldn't be ar$ed, they cleared their bench and the players ditched the O'Sullivan game plan.

Eddie talks about being judged on his record. Well, his record says we're $hite and getting worse.
Here Here.
Ladyboys, Ladyboys
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

Harry, u said the french cleared their bench. Well, bringing on Yachvilli, Marconnet, Bruno and Martin is hardly going to weaken a team so i don't see how that could have made a difference.
CM
Mullet

Post by CM »

Flash

Whatever. If you approach the game looking for things to criticise EOS with then all you'll see are the mistakes.