Moderator: moderators

epaddy
Shane Horgan

Additions to Squad

Post by epaddy »

Horan well again and back in squad
Sunday, 12 February 2006 8:11

Ireland's Marcus Horan

Ireland coach Eddie O'Sullivan has added eight players to the match 22 that lost to France on Saturday for Ireland training this week in Dublin.

In the forwards, Marcus Horan has recovered from his stomach bug and returns the squad. Second row Matt McCullough, who played for Ireland A against France A on Friday night (10th February), has also been added.

Neither Robert Kearney (back strain) or John Kelly (groin) were considered due to injury.

Squad Additions:

Forwards:
Marcus Horan,
Mick O'Driscoll,
Matt McCullough,
Anthony Foley,
Neil Best.

Backs:
Denis Hickie,
Girvan Dempsey,
Barry Murphy.
*** image removed by mod ***

Epaddy, Freedom Fighter
cj
Graduate

additions

Post by cj »

Disappointed not to see Heaslip or Gleeson...but not surprised. At least Hickie is in. He will drop Bowe and Reggie, but I can see that being it. Would like to see Swerve in the team, but not sure who should be dropped for him. Perhaps bring him in on the bench with Trimble starting on wing?

In forwards I'd select Foley on the bench ahead of O'Connor, simply because of positions. Would prefer it to be Heaslip though...
TrueBlue
Enlightened

Post by TrueBlue »

not surprised to be honest. I think we'll play it tighter against Walesm and targettheir lineout/scrum. As we all know they want open play, so I would see Foley startin at 8, withLeamy/Easterby and Wallace.

Due to this EOS wouldnt have picked Gleeson, and he seems to be ignoring Heaslip.

Dempsey to start hopefully!!! :D
Leinster-Heineken European Cup Champions 2007
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

Any news on Horan?

The winter vomitting bug is reasonably serious and he's going well to recover from it in 2 weeks. It is often associated with dehydration and weight loss. We need that fecker fit ASAP.
CM
Mullet

Post by CM »

The winter vomitting bug is reasonably serious and he's going well to recover from it in 2 weeks.
Well apparently he's back training.

I think we'd all like to see Heaslip there but let's assume that the squad is going to be picked from those additions (why pick a 35 man squad in January and then leave 4 players out for training sessions during the 6n?). In that scenario while I'd like to see Best replace Easterby the most realistic I can be is for Foley or Best to be on the bench, preferrably Foley. Also I doubt more than Bowe will be dropped so it's a case of Hickie in as a straight swap or Murphy to wing and Dempsey to FB. I think the latter is the most obvious.

So it'll be the same pack that was originally picked for France with either Dempsey or Hickie added to the backline or Trimble to start on the wing and Hickie or Dempsey on the bench (in that scenario Hickie makes most sense). Best case scenario is one other change to the bench with JOC making way for Foley or Best.

Slightly depressing alright.
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

Duff Paddy wrote:Any news on Horan?

The winter vomitting bug is reasonably serious and he's going well to recover from it in 2 weeks. It is often associated with dehydration and weight loss. We need that fecker fit ASAP.
i read an article this morning that suggested that he had a stomach bug, as opposed to winter vomiting bug, so maybe it wasn't as serious.
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

I'll have more than just a fit of vomiting if Murphy starts at 15 against Wales. It'll be time to break out the Imodium. :shock:
Crash
Graduate

Post by Crash »

Leinsterman wrote:I'll have more than just a fit of vomiting if Murphy starts at 15 against Wales. It'll be time to break out the Imodium. :shock:
So you're saying it'll be just another Saturday and Murphy will start?

:o
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

Well, more like any other Sunday :wink: