Ireland under 19s v Italy

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

bunty85
Knowledgeable

Ireland under 19s v Italy

Post by bunty85 »

The Ireland Under-19 team will begin their international season this Saturday (22nd March) with a match against Italy in Malahide RFC, Dublin (KO: 11am).

The Ireland under 19’s are the first level where players from the schools and youth systems come together and will be coached again by Charlie McAleese and Booby Byrne.

This season’s squad has had half a dozen arduous weekend training camps over the last 4 months and has remained undefeated through a successful set of warm-up games against Irish Colleges (13-12), a UCD XV (38-0) and an Ulster Academy XV (31-0) as well as a conditioned match against Ireland Schools.

Competition for places in the team has been intense and Manager John McKibbin paid tribute to the commitment and work that all the players in the squad had put in, both those fortunate to be selected and those who did not make the cut.

“Selection has been very difficult as we have been working with a squad of approximately 30 players, all of whom have impressed both during sessions and in the warm-up games. I can honestly say that all have fronted up and made strong cases to be picked. Unfortunately coaches Charlie McAleese and Bobby Byrne can only pick fifteen on a team and the following players will represent Ireland on Saturday.”

The team is captained by Peter O’Mahoney, who was also captain of the Ireland Schools team last season. The side also includes Ciaran Ruddock in the second row, son of former Leinster and Wales Head Coach Mick Ruddock, who is currently in charge of Premiership side Worcester.

The replacements also contain the winning schools team captains from Ulster and Leinster, Adam Macklin (Methody College) and Thomas Sexton (Belvedere College).

IRELAND UNDER-19:

15: David McIlwaine (QUB/Ulster)
14: Johnny Shiels (Coleraine AI/Ulster)
13: Gary Foley (CBC Monkstown/Leinster)
12: Shane Gahan (Lansdowne/Leinster)
11: Kyle Kirkpatrick (Ards/Ulster)
10: Andrew Burke (Crescent College Cork/Munster)
9: Conor Murray (Young Munster/Munster)

1: Gavin Duffy (UCC/Munster)
2: David McGregor (Ballynahinch/Ulster)
3: Alan Whitten (Instonians/Ulster)
4: Ciaran Ruddock (Swansea)
5: Mark Flanagan (UCD/Leinster)
6: Peter O’Mahoney (PBC Cork/Munster) CAPTAIN
7: Sean Dougall (St Bernards/Irish Exiles)
8: Michael Noone (CBC Monkstown/Leinster)

REPLACEMENTS:

16: Jack McGrath (St Mary’s College/Leinster)
17: Adam Macklin (Methody College/Ulster)
18: Thomas Sexton (Belvedere College/Leinster)
19: Shane Grannell (CBC Monkstown/Leinster)
20: Matt Healy (Lansdowne/Leinster)
21: Ian McKinley (St .Columbas College/Leinster)
22: David Funston (Derry/Ulster)

Mike ruddocks son, wonder why he's playing for Ireland. Great to see a Columbas player in there a real player for the future. And 3 CBC lads going places too.
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Re: Ireland under 19s v Italy

Post by Darce »

bunty85 wrote:The Ireland Under-19 team will begin their international season this Saturday (22nd March) with a match against Italy in Malahide RFC, Dublin (KO: 11am).

The Ireland under 19’s are the first level where players from the schools and youth systems come together and will be coached again by Charlie McAleese and Booby Byrne.

This season’s squad has had half a dozen arduous weekend training camps over the last 4 months and has remained undefeated through a successful set of warm-up games against Irish Colleges (13-12), a UCD XV (38-0) and an Ulster Academy XV (31-0) as well as a conditioned match against Ireland Schools.

Competition for places in the team has been intense and Manager John McKibbin paid tribute to the commitment and work that all the players in the squad had put in, both those fortunate to be selected and those who did not make the cut.

“Selection has been very difficult as we have been working with a squad of approximately 30 players, all of whom have impressed both during sessions and in the warm-up games. I can honestly say that all have fronted up and made strong cases to be picked. Unfortunately coaches Charlie McAleese and Bobby Byrne can only pick fifteen on a team and the following players will represent Ireland on Saturday.”

The team is captained by Peter O’Mahoney, who was also captain of the Ireland Schools team last season. The side also includes Ciaran Ruddock in the second row, son of former Leinster and Wales Head Coach Mick Ruddock, who is currently in charge of Premiership side Worcester.

The replacements also contain the winning schools team captains from Ulster and Leinster, Adam Macklin (Methody College) and Thomas Sexton (Belvedere College).

IRELAND UNDER-19:

15: David McIlwaine (QUB/Ulster)
14: Johnny Shiels (Coleraine AI/Ulster)
13: Gary Foley (CBC Monkstown/Leinster)
12: Shane Gahan (Lansdowne/Leinster)
11: Kyle Kirkpatrick (Ards/Ulster)
10: Andrew Burke (Crescent College Cork/Munster)
9: Conor Murray (Young Munster/Munster)

1: Gavin Duffy (UCC/Munster)
2: David McGregor (Ballynahinch/Ulster)
3: Alan Whitten (Instonians/Ulster)
4: Ciaran Ruddock (Swansea)
5: Mark Flanagan (UCD/Leinster)
6: Peter O’Mahoney (PBC Cork/Munster) CAPTAIN
7: Sean Dougall (St Bernards/Irish Exiles)
8: Michael Noone (CBC Monkstown/Leinster)

REPLACEMENTS:

16: Jack McGrath (St Mary’s College/Leinster)
17: Adam Macklin (Methody College/Ulster)
18: Thomas Sexton (Belvedere College/Leinster)
19: Shane Grannell (CBC Monkstown/Leinster)
20: Matt Healy (Lansdowne/Leinster)
21: Ian McKinley (St .Columbas College/Leinster)
22: David Funston (Derry/Ulster)

Mike ruddocks son, wonder why he's playing for Ireland. Great to see a Columbas player in there a real player for the future. And 3 CBC lads going places too.
Son of Mike, I believe...
His Mother is Irish. Interesting choice of allegiance at this stage
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
silly punt
Enlightened

Post by silly punt »

As far as I know Ciaran Ruddock was born in Ireland.

The Columbas out half is a smashing player, it must be Monkstown's biggest representation ever...
Experience is the name everyone gives to their failures
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

silly punt wrote:As far as I know Ciaran Ruddock was born in Ireland.

The Columbas out half is a smashing player, it must be Monkstown's biggest representation ever...

No, Ciaran was brn in the UK AFAIK. The other brother Rhys was born here but plays for Wales! :!:

Fantastic to see 3 CBC lads in the squad.
...to the sound of a Sivivatu slap!
Duke Raoul
Seán Cronin

Post by Duke Raoul »

Sounds painful.
I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.

epaddy
Shane Horgan

Post by epaddy »

As LM has said, No 21, McKinley, remember the name.
*** image removed by mod ***

Epaddy, Freedom Fighter
CRAZYDAVE
Rhys Ruddock

Post by CRAZYDAVE »

It would be interesting to see how Adam Macklin gets on, if he gets a run. He was a one man wrecking crew for Methody in the Ulster Schools Cup final last Monday.
T - 45
epaddy
Shane Horgan

Post by epaddy »

CRAZYDAVE wrote:It would be interesting to see how Adam Macklin gets on, if he gets a run. He was a one man wrecking crew for Methody in the Ulster Schools Cup final last Monday.
Was he the No.8? He has prop written all over him.
*** image removed by mod ***

Epaddy, Freedom Fighter
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

As has been noted here watch out for McKinley. The best OH i have ever seen at school's level
true blue 06
Mullet

Post by true blue 06 »

no players from the big 6 in the starting xv, good to see i suppose
"Hickie is racing away, he's gonna get past Pelous. He's gotta time his pass, D'arcy back to Hickie... HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! That is awesome!"
Sky Sports 01/04/06

HEC CHAMPIONS 2009

LEINSTER- MAGNERS LEAGUE CHAMPIONS 2008
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

Isn't Andrew Burke the kid who's already being touted as the long-term successor to ROG in Munster? Might explain why he's keeping this McKinley guy out of the team.
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
CRAZYDAVE
Rhys Ruddock

Post by CRAZYDAVE »

epaddy wrote:
CRAZYDAVE wrote:It would be interesting to see how Adam Macklin gets on, if he gets a run. He was a one man wrecking crew for Methody in the Ulster Schools Cup final last Monday.
Was he the No.8? He has prop written all over him.
He is a prop, but Methody played him at No 8, to great effect.
T - 45
oh no where do we go!
Beginner

Post by oh no where do we go! »

Ulster competition was pretty weak this year, Macklin undoubtedly is a class tighthead

the reason himself, Sexton or McGrath aren't starting is that they all played in their respective cup finals over the paddy's weekend

who is the no 7 Dougal does anyone know? (was he on the u-18 club side last season?) did he play for newcastle falcons at one stage?
kerpal
Beginner

Post by kerpal »

think dougal is from england alrite according to IT.
Whats with all the ulster and munster lads in comparison to the leinster players??? I tought leinster killed everyone in the inter-pros?? Enlighten me..
bunty85
Knowledgeable

Post by bunty85 »

kerpal wrote:think dougal is from england alrite according to IT.
Whats with all the ulster and munster lads in comparison to the leinster players??? I tought leinster killed everyone in the inter-pros?? Enlighten me..
Was thinking that myself...the coach is from ulster so maybe that could explain it but there's a similar number in the 18s squad who too won well:
Ireland Under 18 Schools Squad
Backs (12)
Michael Allen (Methodist college)
Mark Atkinson (Grosvenor Grammar School)
Jason Bloomfield (Coleraine Academical Institution)
Ray Crotty (St Mary's College)
McCarthy Diarmad (Castletroy College)
Michael Kelleher (St Munchin's College)
Luke Marshall (Ballymena Academy)
James McKinney (Campbell College)
David McSharry (Templeogue College)
David O'Driscoll (PBC Cork)
Noel Reid (St Michael's College)
Nevin Spence (Wallace High School)
Forwards (14)
Niall Annett (Methodist College)
Richard Bent (St Mary's College)
Denis Buckley (Blackrock College)
Patrick Butler (Rockwell College)
Risteard Byrne (Terenure College)
Brian Cagney (PBC Cork)
Brian Hayes (CBC Cork)
Ben Marshall (St. Andrews College)
Martin Moore (Castlenock College)
David O'Callaghan (Midleton College)
Jack O'Connell (Clongowes Wood College)
Brian O'Hara (PBC Cork) Captain
Paul Pritchard (Ballymena Academy)
Dominic Ryan (Gonzaga College)
A few very interesting things about the squads:
-The Castletroy player for the 18s is a quality player, saw the semi against Pres Cork and heard he was quality in the final
-Blackrock College across a total of 48 players playing for Irish teams eligable have just 1 player. I understand they had a lot on the 20s but still for the mini acadamy that is Rock it ain't vintage stuff. Its been a great year for us CBC lads who have had to endure the constant abuse from our near rivals, unfortunately we didn't win the cup but great to see us having 2 years where we've been more succesful.
-McKinley as has been said is a class OH
-Ruddock's son playing for Ireland
ruck
Rhys Ruddock

Post by ruck »

tackle-bag wrote:Isn't Andrew Burke the kid who's already being touted as the long-term successor to ROG in Munster? Might explain why he's keeping this McKinley guy out of the team.
That's right. I haven't seen him play yet, but his partner at half back, Murray, has recently become the starting scrum half for the Young Munster senior team and has looked a class act. Big future ahead of this young fella.
I am the one who knocks!
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

ruck wrote:
tackle-bag wrote:Isn't Andrew Burke the kid who's already being touted as the long-term successor to ROG in Munster? Might explain why he's keeping this McKinley guy out of the team.
That's right. I haven't seen him play yet, but his partner at half back, Murray, has recently become the starting scrum half for the Young Munster senior team and has looked a class act. Big future ahead of this young fella.
That's great to hear, it's been too long since Munster have had anyone coming through at half-back who has inspired real excitement. TOL and Manning's stars faded very quickly. I've read a few match reports of games in which Burke was involved and he seemed to have the full package.
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
oh no where do we go!
Beginner

Show Spoiler:
Ireland 23 (6) Italy 0 (0)

Dougal was very inpressive, typical openside great scrounger,

Next stop for Ireland, France in Paris on the 5th April
bunty85
Knowledgeable

Post by bunty85 »

Who scored? What was Ruddock's son like?
oh no where do we go!
Beginner

scorers no 13, no15, no11 tries no10 2pens 1 conv

Rudock junior was impressive, good jumper and productive in both the loose and in the set piece

the scrum picked up greatly when the three cup final boys came on in the second half (mcgrath-loose, sexton-hooker, macklin - tight) they started punishing italy big time and pushing them over their own put ins

The only downsides to the game imo were seeing shane gahan tweak a hammy early doors and of course the biting cold wind coming in off the estuary.

for anyone who hasnt seen malahides clubhouse - its quite impressive, nice job they've done out there.
Last edited by oh no where do we go! on March 22nd, 2008, 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.