Munster 2016-2017

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Re: Munster 2016-2017

Postby Cor. Ind. » March 21st, 2017, 12:11 am

deco wrote:*** Edited by mod ***


:lol:
"Only in America!"

Yogi Berra - on learning the Lord Mayor of Dublin was a Jew.
User avatar
Cor. Ind.
Learner
 
Posts: 93
Joined: March 14th, 2017, 12:39 am

Re: Munster 2016-2017

Postby munster#1 » March 21st, 2017, 3:54 pm

Looking forward to the return to club rugby.
Munster have to take 5 points from this game, and get some players up to speed.
From the Irish contingent I can only see Conway getting a run, but maybe POM might start on the bench.

With the number of injuries, it will be hard for Munster to gain some consistency over the next few weeks, but hopefully they can progress to the semi in Europe and get a home semi in the league.

Once they get into that position anything is possible.
User avatar
munster#1
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3927
Joined: June 18th, 2009, 3:47 pm

Re: Munster 2016-2017

Postby Laighin Break » March 21st, 2017, 4:00 pm

Surely Scannell and Ryan too?!
Laighin Break
Knowledgeable
 
Posts: 339
Joined: May 3rd, 2012, 9:35 am
Location: Scandinavia

Re: Munster 2016-2017

Postby ronk » March 21st, 2017, 7:02 pm

Who's injured?
User avatar
ronk
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 8332
Joined: April 9th, 2009, 12:42 am

Re: Munster 2016-2017

Postby fourthirtythree » March 21st, 2017, 11:40 pm

Well Kleyn anyway (though Chisholm is back!). And when is Murray back?

That's a point though, I thought that like us they had a relatively clean bill of health. It's never perfect but...
Datta: what have we given?
My friend, blood shaking my heart
The awful daring of a moment's surrender
Which an age of prudence can never retract
What the thunder said to Brian Lenihan
User avatar
fourthirtythree
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 8409
Joined: April 12th, 2008, 11:33 pm
Location: Eight miles high

Re: Munster 2016-2017

Postby Golf Man » March 22nd, 2017, 9:23 am

fourthirtythree wrote:Well Kleyn anyway (though Chisholm is back!). And when is Murray back?

That's a point though, I thought that like us they had a relatively clean bill of health. It's never perfect but...


Far from it

Kleyn and Foley are out for the rest of the season - Holland, Ryan, O Shea and Deysel are going to be the locks from now until end of season - Copeland and DOC could probably do a job but not ideal and and a Ryan injury away from a massive problem. Chisholm is not back playing - he is training. Cronin is just back training and will presumably hope to play this weekend.

Keatley and Sailli are injured and expected out for the QF - neither were likely to start but at least one and probably both were on the bench. Keatley out is an issue as Bleyendaal missed the last game. Murray is carrying an injury as well obviously, but hopefully wil be back - far from ideal in terms of preparation though

Kleyn is the biggest loss without doubt, but we re definitely close to major issues if any of J Ryan, D Ryan, Murray, Bleyendaal get injured (or don't make the QF)
Golf Man
Girvan Dempsey
 
Posts: 2033
Joined: November 2nd, 2010, 2:00 pm

Re: Munster 2016-2017

Postby Cor. Ind. » March 22nd, 2017, 11:21 am

Golf Man wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote:Well Kleyn anyway (though Chisholm is back!). And when is Murray back?

That's a point though, I thought that like us they had a relatively clean bill of health. It's never perfect but...


Far from it

Kleyn and Foley are out for the rest of the season - Holland, Ryan, O Shea and Deysel are going to be the locks from now until end of season - Copeland and DOC could probably do a job but not ideal and and a Ryan injury away from a massive problem. Chisholm is not back playing - he is training. Cronin is just back training and will presumably hope to play this weekend.

Keatley and Sailli are injured and expected out for the QF - neither were likely to start but at least one and probably both were on the bench. Keatley out is an issue as Bleyendaal missed the last game. Murray is carrying an injury as well obviously, but hopefully wil be back - far from ideal in terms of preparation though

Kleyn is the biggest loss without doubt, but we re definitely close to major issues if any of J Ryan, D Ryan, Murray, Bleyendaal get injured (or don't make the QF)


Don't forget Madigan - melter of rucks. DOC is the guy I'd back at lock. Same height as Billy, but far more dynamic.

We really need Cronin's scrummaging ability back for Toulouse: who have 6 top tier (if aging) front rowers.

It's between TOD & Oliver @ 7.

Could Earls play 13 to allow Zebo, Conway and Sweenmqn start in the b3?

With Keatley out either Johnson or Scannell will need to bench.
"Only in America!"

Yogi Berra - on learning the Lord Mayor of Dublin was a Jew.
User avatar
Cor. Ind.
Learner
 
Posts: 93
Joined: March 14th, 2017, 12:39 am

Re: Munster 2016-2017

Postby Oldschoolsocks » March 23rd, 2017, 7:08 pm

From a neighbouring forum:

From Chris Farrell's twitter feed today -

1/2 As a result of reckless media today, I want to clarify that I was asked to attend police station Grenoble to assist as a 'WITNESS'

2/2, with the investigation into a complaint. I confirm, contrary to many assumptions the associated allegations where not directed at me!

https://twitter.com/Farrell_C93
the irony being that ad-hominen and appeal to majority are the most often used defences of the apologist.
User avatar
Oldschoolsocks
Mullet
 
Posts: 1646
Joined: January 4th, 2015, 11:36 am
Location: Stepping out of the Supernova

Re: Munster 2016-2017

Postby munster#1 » March 24th, 2017, 3:39 pm

Munster: Andrew Conway; Darren Sweetnam, Jaco Taute, Rory Scannell, Ronan O’Mahony; Tyler Bleyendaal, Duncan Williams; Dave Kilcoyne, Niall Scannell, John Ryan; Dave O’Callaghan, Billy Holland; Peter O’Mahony Capt., Tommy O’Donnell, Jack O’Donoghue.

Replacements: Rhys Marshall, James Cronin, Stephen Archer, Darren O’Shea, Conor Oliver, Angus Lloyd, David Johnston, Dan Goggin.

Strong looking team for Munster, with a lot of front line players starting.
This is a massive plus when looking to next week.

I would actually leave most of these players in situ for the qf for the minimum disruption.

I would bring Zebo in for ROM, and have earls on the bench as backline cover.

Ryan and stander will of course walk into the team in place of DOC and JOD.

Continuation is key imo.
User avatar
munster#1
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3927
Joined: June 18th, 2009, 3:47 pm

Re: Munster 2016-2017

Postby Cor. Ind. » March 24th, 2017, 6:11 pm

munster#1 wrote:Munster: Andrew Conway; Darren Sweetnam, Jaco Taute, Rory Scannell, Ronan O’Mahony; Tyler Bleyendaal, Duncan Williams; Dave Kilcoyne, Niall Scannell, John Ryan; Dave O’Callaghan, Billy Holland; Peter O’Mahony Capt., Tommy O’Donnell, Jack O’Donoghue.

Replacements: Rhys Marshall, James Cronin, Stephen Archer, Darren O’Shea, Conor Oliver, Angus Lloyd, David Johnston, Dan Goggin.

Strong looking team for Munster, with a lot of front line players starting.
This is a massive plus when looking to next week.

I would actually leave most of these players in situ for the qf for the minimum disruption.

I would bring Zebo in for ROM, and have earls on the bench as backline cover.

Ryan and stander will of course walk into the team in place of DOC and JOD.

Continuation is key imo.


I can see Cronin starting if he goes well tmr. Much better scrummager than Kilcoyne and ST have some beasts upfront. Baille, Census, Steenkampf, Gilaraldino, Tolufua.

Earls and Zebo will def come in for ROM and I would hope Scannell, rather than Sweetnam or Conway. Much better defensively, and this game will all be about big hits.

Best backline in Ireland?

9 Murray
10 Tyler
11 Zebo
12 Jaco
13 Earls
14 Sweetnam
15 Conway
"Only in America!"

Yogi Berra - on learning the Lord Mayor of Dublin was a Jew.
User avatar
Cor. Ind.
Learner
 
Posts: 93
Joined: March 14th, 2017, 12:39 am

Re: Munster 2016-2017

Postby Oldschoolsocks » March 24th, 2017, 6:33 pm

Wouldn't be happy with Earls at 13 myself
the irony being that ad-hominen and appeal to majority are the most often used defences of the apologist.
User avatar
Oldschoolsocks
Mullet
 
Posts: 1646
Joined: January 4th, 2015, 11:36 am
Location: Stepping out of the Supernova

Re: Munster 2016-2017

Postby Cor. Ind. » March 24th, 2017, 6:44 pm

The only time I ever saw Earls play topline 13 was back when JDV was at 12 - e.g. HEC QF v Os 2009.

Taute is a very similar player to JDV. Not great pace, but great hands (l & r) and phenomenonal tackler.
"Only in America!"

Yogi Berra - on learning the Lord Mayor of Dublin was a Jew.
User avatar
Cor. Ind.
Learner
 
Posts: 93
Joined: March 14th, 2017, 12:39 am

Re: Munster 2016-2017

Postby Dave Cahill » March 24th, 2017, 6:59 pm

Cor. Ind. wrote:The only time I ever saw Earls play topline 13 was back when JDV was at 12 - e.g. HEC QF v Os 2009.

Taute is a very similar player to JDV. Not great pace, but great hands (l & r) and phenomenonal tackler.


JDV arrived the following season
I have Bumbleflex
User avatar
Dave Cahill
Jamie Heaslip
 
Posts: 19954
Joined: January 24th, 2006, 4:32 pm
Location: None of your damn business

Re: Munster 2016-2017

Postby paddyor » March 24th, 2017, 7:52 pm

Cor. Ind. wrote:The only time I ever saw Earls play topline 13 was back when JDV was at 12 - e.g. HEC QF v Os 2009.

Taute is a very similar player to JDV. Not great pace, but great hands (l & r) and phenomenonal tackler.

He played outside Henshaw(who's better than Taute and maybe as good as or better than JDV) 2 years ago at the RWC, looked a long way off topline.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
paddyor
Girvan Dempsey
 
Posts: 2613
Joined: November 17th, 2012, 12:48 am

Re: Munster 2016-2017

Postby ronk » March 24th, 2017, 7:55 pm

Earls lived off offloads from Mafi way back when. It worked well as a ploy but it wasn't enough to justify some of the hype.

He's been playing really well lately.
User avatar
ronk
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 8332
Joined: April 9th, 2009, 12:42 am

Re: Munster 2016-2017

Postby Oldschoolsocks » March 24th, 2017, 8:02 pm

Don't get me wrong, he's a fine wing - not a great centre though.
the irony being that ad-hominen and appeal to majority are the most often used defences of the apologist.
User avatar
Oldschoolsocks
Mullet
 
Posts: 1646
Joined: January 4th, 2015, 11:36 am
Location: Stepping out of the Supernova

Re: Munster 2016-2017

Postby fourthirtythree » March 24th, 2017, 9:01 pm

paddyor wrote:
Cor. Ind. wrote:The only time I ever saw Earls play topline 13 was back when JDV was at 12 - e.g. HEC QF v Os 2009.

Taute is a very similar player to JDV. Not great pace, but great hands (l & r) and phenomenonal tackler.

He played outside Henshaw(who's better than Taute and maybe as good as or better than JDV) 2 years ago at the RWC, looked a long way off topline.



Henshaw has never thrown as beautiful a try scoring pass for Leinster as I saw JDV float perfectly for an on rushing Drico in the RDS. #vision
Datta: what have we given?
My friend, blood shaking my heart
The awful daring of a moment's surrender
Which an age of prudence can never retract
What the thunder said to Brian Lenihan
User avatar
fourthirtythree
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 8409
Joined: April 12th, 2008, 11:33 pm
Location: Eight miles high

Re: Munster 2016-2017

Postby Dave Cahill » March 24th, 2017, 9:05 pm

fourthirtythree wrote:
paddyor wrote:
Cor. Ind. wrote:The only time I ever saw Earls play topline 13 was back when JDV was at 12 - e.g. HEC QF v Os 2009.

Taute is a very similar player to JDV. Not great pace, but great hands (l & r) and phenomenonal tackler.

He played outside Henshaw(who's better than Taute and maybe as good as or better than JDV) 2 years ago at the RWC, looked a long way off topline.



Henshaw has never thrown as beautiful a try scoring pass for Leinster as I saw JDV float perfectly for an on rushing Drico in the RDS. #vision


I think you should have gone with #aisling as that can mean dream or vision - because Drico scored by drifting outside DeVilliars onto a pass from Sexton and Horgan scored by intercepting a pass from Warwick intended for DeVilliars
I have Bumbleflex
User avatar
Dave Cahill
Jamie Heaslip
 
Posts: 19954
Joined: January 24th, 2006, 4:32 pm
Location: None of your damn business

Re: Munster 2016-2017

Postby fourthirtythree » March 24th, 2017, 9:55 pm

Ha! Memory is plastic. I stuck the two together. It's a few years ago.

It was the Warwick pass that was a beaut.

Anyway that game clouds my opinion of de Villiers.
Datta: what have we given?
My friend, blood shaking my heart
The awful daring of a moment's surrender
Which an age of prudence can never retract
What the thunder said to Brian Lenihan
User avatar
fourthirtythree
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 8409
Joined: April 12th, 2008, 11:33 pm
Location: Eight miles high

Re: Munster 2016-2017

Postby Dave Cahill » March 24th, 2017, 10:50 pm

He was dreadful that day alright - I believe Franno called him a Harvey Norman player afterwards, which was many NH rugby fans introduction to the term!
I have Bumbleflex
User avatar
Dave Cahill
Jamie Heaslip
 
Posts: 19954
Joined: January 24th, 2006, 4:32 pm
Location: None of your damn business

PreviousNext

Return to General Rugby

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest