Munster 2017 -2018

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Munster 2017 -2018

Post by artaneboy »

Poor auld Geordan Murphy, those bloody refs are so bad in Europe; totally unlike the higher standard they have in the AP! Almost an exact quote.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Re: Munster 2017 -2018

Post by artaneboy »

neiliog93 wrote:Jesus, Geordan Murphy just gave the most ungracious in-play coaching interview I've ever heard. Really disgusting sense of entitlement from some Prem teams.
Never liked him (in his Leicester mode) since his snipping at us in ‘09. He definitely took the oligarchs soup.

artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Munster win, deserved- although they very nearly gave it away at the death.

simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Cockers and MOC were a bad influence on an impressionable young coach

POM recovers from missing his opening tackle and then giving a try away to be awarded MoM
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Leicester are a dis-organised rabble but that is still a massive result for Munster.
Prem rugby is shockingly bad.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
RichardP
Graduate

Post by RichardP »

Who was saying POM doesnt make the Irish squad with everyone fit? I’d say the IRFU are kicking themselves now after that dreadful MOTM performance.
RichardP
Graduate

Post by RichardP »

blockhead wrote:Leicester are a dis-organised rabble but that is still a massive result for Munster.
Prem rugby is shockingly bad.
That’s the truth. Two wins from 14 Champions Cup games in the past two weekends. Out of a possible maximum 70 match points they got 9
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Munster are looking really good. I was very impressed by Keatley, slight wobble in the last quarter, but he's really improved. Kleyn and Wooton are slightly less fancied players who are really stepping up at a high level too.

MOC is confirming his ineptitude at Leicester, they really are a mess. No coherence in anything they did, overly aggressive, ill-disciplined, disorganised, and relying on individual talent.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

artaneboy wrote:
neiliog93 wrote:Jesus, Geordan Murphy just gave the most ungracious in-play coaching interview I've ever heard. Really disgusting sense of entitlement from some Prem teams.
Never liked him (in his Leicester mode) since his snipping at us in ‘09. He definitely took the oligarchs soup.

+1 on all of the above.

I couldn't believe what he was saying. I have played in countless games where the ref was really harsh against my team and have never heard a coach go on like he did. The whole point is that they keep focused on what has to be done to win the game. Stop moaning about the ref and focus on trying to improve the team. After the game is a bit of a different story but to be so distracted by it during a game really makes me think he's not up to being a coach...not that the play on the field didn't illustrate that already.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
artaneboy wrote:

+1 on all of the above.

I couldn't believe what he was saying. I have played in countless games where the ref was really harsh against my team and have never heard a coach go on like he did. The whole point is that they keep focused on what has to be done to win the game. Stop moaning about the ref and focus on trying to improve the team. After the game is a bit of a different story but to be so distracted by it during a game really makes me think he's not up to being a coach...not that the play on the field didn't illustrate that already.
Ditto. Self indulgence of the worst sort.

Cynicism such as MOC’s attack on the ref and Conway last Saturday can be understood (not justified) on the dubious basis of influencing the following week’s officiating. I personally don’t buy the effectiveness of the tactic- as well as finding it distasteful. But there’s no logic or ethics to Murphy’s outburst.

blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

artaneboy wrote:

New rules:
a) All European games that involve an English team must have at least 1 English ref on the pitch at all times.
b) Only 1 ref can be appointed to officiate a game.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

It was a very big win. Although Leicester are not the force they once were, winning away to them is big and give the team a huge boost. All 4 Irish sides winning away in the last 2 weeks is great for Irish rugby.

My motm was Kevin O'Byrne. His first start in Europe and he got something like 14 out of 14 lineouts. All his throws were straight down the middle too. The lineout dominance made things a lot more comfortable for Munster.

I don't think Munster did anything spectacular but they just did the basics well and made very few mistakes. In the past few years when Munster played away in Europe they looked very gittery and made a load of errors. Thats why for me this was the most pleasing performance for some time.

On Geordan Murphy and the English blaming the ref. Well as far as they're concerned the Pro14 is a Mickey Mouse league which teams don't try. Donnacha O'Callaghan said recently his Worcester teammates are always saying that with himself and Ben Te'o defending the pro14.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Murphy complaining about refs will go down well in Wales next season, especially when its Irish refs

Kleyn is looking better and better every time I see him. Have to agree on KOB, first European start et al

Cant say Archer didnt do well or outplay Ryan either
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Some hack in the Guardian.
It is worth pointing out however that Leicester came into this European double-header on the back of a heavyweight tussle with Wasps and now face Saracens and Exeter in consecutive matches. It is important not to take away from Munster’s performance but the Premiership is hardly set up in a manner that benefits its clubs in Europe
Yes Munster only have Leinster, Ulster and Connacht over the next few weeks. Easypeasy right.
I'd expect a new narrative to develop over the next week or so about the non-anglo refs.

The silver lining I suppose is that the english teams are showing the Tories how to execute a speedy exit from Europe.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

blockhead wrote:Some hack in the Guardian.
It is worth pointing out however that Leicester came into this European double-header on the back of a heavyweight tussle with Wasps and now face Saracens and Exeter in consecutive matches. It is important not to take away from Munster’s performance but the Premiership is hardly set up in a manner that benefits its clubs in Europe
Yes Munster only have Leinster, Ulster and Connacht over the next few weeks. Easypeasy right.
I'd expect a new narrative to develop over the next week or so about the non-anglo refs.

The silver lining I suppose is that the english teams are showing the Tories how to execute a speedy exit from Europe.
Let's hope the Tories come away with nothing too!

Yeah, I'm increasingly tired of that Premiership guff. We also have Munster, Connacht, and Ulster in the next three weeks. Leicester or Bath in there would be a nice break let alone a shite team like Worcester or Sinnersor LI, or anyone below Leicester in the table.

Though it should be noted if you read the Grauniad for rugby coverage expect the ultra stupid. That would be like reading the Torygraph for science coverage (don't, they don't believe in science over there, but their rugby coverage is much, much better).
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

English clubs languishing in Europe is the one time Im glad they have to listen to Craig Doyle, just to rub it in
leinster10
Knowledgeable

Post by leinster10 »

Munster could supply every province with a starting hooker at the moment... and then some with Marshall, Sherry, Casey, O'Byrne and Scannell. some strength in depth
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

leinster10 wrote:Munster could supply every province with a starting hooker at the moment... and then some with Marshall, Sherry, Casey, O'Byrne and Scannell. some strength in depth
I know, Thomond Park is Irish rugby's "Red Light District"
And they can all throw the ball straight.
What is it with our lads?
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

blockhead wrote:
leinster10 wrote:Munster could supply every province with a starting hooker at the moment... and then some with Marshall, Sherry, Casey, O'Byrne and Scannell. some strength in depth

Must be coaching. It's an underrated part of the game. Sure it's nice to have great athletes at hooker but it's the big, tight matches where lineout accuracy becomes really important.

If this was NZ they would be investigating why munsters lineout is better and then spreading the knowledge to every province.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

dropkick wrote:
blockhead wrote:

Must be coaching. It's an underrated part of the game. Sure it's nice to have great athletes at hooker but it's the big, tight matches where lineout accuracy becomes really important.

If this was NZ they would be investigating why munsters lineout is better and then spreading the knowledge to every province.
Flannery.