Pro 14 - General Thread

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

blockhead
Rob Kearney

Re: Pro 14 - General Thread

Post by blockhead »

Dragons were 26-10 up at HT away to Zebre but lost 34-32.

15-the number of games won by the Italian sides this season so far. Thats the most ever, previous best was in 2012 when they won 11 games. Still the derby to come to make it at least 16, the same amount as the previous 2 seasons combined.
-OptaBlockhead
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

blockhead wrote:Dragons were 26-10 up at HT away to Zebre but lost 34-32.

15-the number of games won by the Italian sides this season so far. Thats the most ever, previous best was in 2012 when they won 11 games. Still the derby to come to make it at least 16, the same amount as the previous 2 seasons combined.
-OptaBlockhead
Or Bloptahead
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Cardiff could still overtake Cheetahs and get a QF spot.
Treviso could pip Ulster to a Heino playoff game at home V Ospreys.
Edinburgh can get themselves a home QF at the expense of Scarlets.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

1 only mathematically.
2 very possibly
3 somewhere in between
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Erasmutazz is back.
Jurie Roux and Rassie Erasmus join PRO14 Rugby Board

PRO14 Rugby’s relationship with South African Rugby has been further strengthened with the inclusion of SA Rugby CEO Jurie Roux and Director of Rugby Rassie Erasmus on the Board.

The Guinness PRO14’s expansion this season to include the Toyota Cheetahs and the Southern Kings to become the only club championship in world rugby to unite the Northern and Southern Hemispheres has been re-inforced by the appointments.

PRO14 Rugby Chief Executive Martin Anayi, Commercial & Marketing Director Dermot Rigley and Tournament Director David Jordan joined Roux and Springboks coach Erasmus at the match between the Toyota Cheetahs and Munster in Bloemfontein on Friday evening, following a series of productive meetings with local stakeholders.

“To have the CEO and the Director of Rugby of another Tier 1 nation join the Board is another important step forward for the PRO14 Rugby and for the relationship with South African rugby,” said Anayi.

“We have made great strides this season in expanding into a new territory in keeping with the DNA of the championship as a pioneering cross-border competition and these appointments only serve to re-inforce that progress.”

Roux said: “Our expansion into the Guinness PRO14 in 2017 heralded a new era for South African rugby and was one of the most exciting new ventures in a long time in our game.

“I am looking forward to working even closer together with our friends from Wales, Scotland, Ireland and Italy as rugby moves closer to a global calendar and the game becomes even more accessible to new and untapped markets.”

Erasmus, who coached Munster Rugby, said: “I had the privilege of coaching in the Guinness PRO14, and it found it to be very competitive and hugely popular. To serve on the Board will be a great honour and I am looking forward to working with the other directors.

“The competition has opened a new door to South African players and coaches, with our two franchise teams playing against some of the best players in Europe on a weekly basis and in very different weather conditions. We can only benefit from our involvement in this competition.”
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

blockhead wrote:Erasmutazz is back.

PRO14 Rugby’s relationship with South African Rugby has been further strengthened with the inclusion of SA Rugby CEO Jurie Roux and Director of Rugby Rassie Erasmus on the Board.

The Guinness PRO14’s expansion this season to include the Toyota Cheetahs and the Southern Kings to become the only club championship in world rugby to unite the Northern and Southern Hemispheres has been re-inforced by the appointments.

PRO14 Rugby Chief Executive Martin Anayi, Commercial & Marketing Director Dermot Rigley and Tournament Director David Jordan joined Roux and Springboks coach Erasmus at the match between the Toyota Cheetahs and Munster in Bloemfontein on Friday evening, following a series of productive meetings with local stakeholders.

“To have the CEO and the Director of Rugby of another Tier 1 nation join the Board is another important step forward for the PRO14 Rugby and for the relationship with South African rugby,” said Anayi.

“We have made great strides this season in expanding into a new territory in keeping with the DNA of the championship as a pioneering cross-border competition and these appointments only serve to re-inforce that progress.”

Roux said: “Our expansion into the Guinness PRO14 in 2017 heralded a new era for South African rugby and was one of the most exciting new ventures in a long time in our game.

“I am looking forward to working even closer together with our friends from Wales, Scotland, Ireland and Italy as rugby moves closer to a global calendar and the game becomes even more accessible to new and untapped markets.”

Erasmus, who coached Munster Rugby, said: “I had the privilege of coaching in the Guinness PRO14, and it found it to be very competitive and hugely popular. To serve on the Board will be a great honour and I am looking forward to working with the other directors.

“The competition has opened a new door to South African players and coaches, with our two franchise teams playing against some of the best players in Europe on a weekly basis and in very different weather conditions. We can only benefit from our involvement in this competition.”

Not sure if this is good or bad. Anyone know the makeup of the rest of the board? i.e. is this just a formality if all the other nations have CEOs on the board anyway?
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Zebre played against the Dragons in L'Aquila, in the Stadio Tommaso Fattori, this weekend. It's half way down the leg, not that far from Rome, and a long way from Parma where they usually play. Nearly 6K turned out to watch compared to the 1K for their last game up in the Stadio Sergio Lanfranchi some weeks back. Anyone know whats going on there.
I think 6K may be a club record.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

L'Aquila would be one of the traditional centres of rugby in Italy, the local club used to be regulars in the Challenge Cup
I have Bumbleflex
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

A big rugby festival was on in the town apparently.
Google translate warning
The coach of the Italian national rugby team Conor O'Shea confirmed his presence for tomorrow's event.
In town, fans, fans and rugby players are expected from different Italian regions: Thursday evening, pre-sales had already broken through 2,000 coupons sold. Outside the Fattori, on Viale Gran Sasso, will be set up the Peroni Village, a village of III Time with street food, beer, entertainment, inflatables and music, from 12 to midnight.
"The idea to dispute the meeting with the Dragons in L'Aquila came last September," explained Zebre's managing director Andrea Dalledonne. "Since last year the Zebras have returned in full under the aegis of the Fir and this step has led us to rethink the role that must have a federal franchise, this must be the team of all Italy, not only the north. And when we thought about where we could play it came naturally to us to choose L'Aquila, a city where you live and breathe rugby, one of the capitals of this sport.It is the first time that the Zebras descend below the Po, I assure you that move a meeting of Pro14 is not an easy thing from an organizational point of view.I would like this to become a fixed appointment, a custom to be repeated in the coming years.I hope we can define an agreement with the Municipality "
Leinster should request that our game next season is played down there, sounds like great craic.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Just because Rassie says he's doing something doesn't mean he's going to stay do it
I have Bumbleflex
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

blockhead wrote:A big rugby festival was on in the town apparently.
Google translate warning
The coach of the Italian national rugby team Conor O'Shea confirmed his presence for tomorrow's event.
In town, fans, fans and rugby players are expected from different Italian regions: Thursday evening, pre-sales had already broken through 2,000 coupons sold. Outside the Fattori, on Viale Gran Sasso, will be set up the Peroni Village, a village of III Time with street food, beer, entertainment, inflatables and music, from 12 to midnight.
"The idea to dispute the meeting with the Dragons in L'Aquila came last September," explained Zebre's managing director Andrea Dalledonne. "Since last year the Zebras have returned in full under the aegis of the Fir and this step has led us to rethink the role that must have a federal franchise, this must be the team of all Italy, not only the north. And when we thought about where we could play it came naturally to us to choose L'Aquila, a city where you live and breathe rugby, one of the capitals of this sport.It is the first time that the Zebras descend below the Po, I assure you that move a meeting of Pro14 is not an easy thing from an organizational point of view.I would like this to become a fixed appointment, a custom to be repeated in the coming years.I hope we can define an agreement with the Municipality "
Leinster should request that our game next season is played down there, sounds like great craic.
+1, +1
Went there after the earthquake in 2009 with a donation of Rugby gear collecter from here and they gave us a fantastic welcome. Serious rugby town and champions of Italian rugby several times.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Doesn't Super Rugby also unite northern and southern hemispheres?!
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Laighin Break wrote:
Doesn't Super Rugby also unite northern and southern hemispheres?!
Yes but for some reason everyone puts the far east in the southern hemisphere.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

kermischocolate wrote: Not sure if this is good or bad. Anyone know the makeup of the rest of the board? i.e. is this just a formality if all the other nations have CEOs on the board anyway?
The Board of the Pro 14 at the moment is as follows

Ireland
Philip Browne - CEO of IRFU
Garrett Fitzgerald - CEO of Muster Rugby

Italy
Antonia Pavanello - Director Benetton Rugby (?)
Fabrizio Gaetaniello - Director FIR

Scotland
Dominic McKay - COO of SRU
Ian Rankin - Scottish Rugby Council

Wales
Mark Davies - Head of Regional Rugby Wales
Martyn Phillips - CEO of WRU

Other
Gerald Davies (Wales) - Chairman
David Jordan (Scotland) - Secretary
Dermot O'Sullivan (Ireland) Finance Director
Dermot Rigley (Ireland) Commercial Director
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

Xanthippe wrote:
kermischocolate wrote: Not sure if this is good or bad. Anyone know the makeup of the rest of the board? i.e. is this just a formality if all the other nations have CEOs on the board anyway?
The Board of the Pro 14 at the moment is as follows

Ireland
Philip Browne - CEO of IRFU
Garrett Fitzgerald - CEO of Muster Rugby

Italy
Antonia Pavanello - Director Benetton Rugby (?)
Fabrizio Gaetaniello - Director FIR

Scotland
Dominic McKay - COO of SRU
Ian Rankin - Scottish Rugby Council

Wales
Mark Davies - Head of Regional Rugby Wales
Martyn Phillips - CEO of WRU

Other
Gerald Davies (Wales) - Chairman
David Jordan (Scotland) - Secretary
Dermot O'Sullivan (Ireland) Finance Director
Dermot Rigley (Ireland) Commercial Director
Awesome, thank you.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Cockers has signed a new contract which prolongs his tenure in charge of Edinburgh until 2021.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Ulster 36-15 Glasgow (26pts from the Diaspora) Ulster can still catch Edinburgh, long shot.
Zebre 37-14 Ospreys --6 tries for Bradley's boys. 6 wins this season, can finish above Connacht next weekend.
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

It seems that I am home in Dublin the weekend of the final. I've just has a look at the Ticketmaster page and it is pretty much only showing tickets for either end of the ground. Anyone know (or care to speculate) if this because all the tickets for the sides have been sold or they are holding back?
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

domhnallj wrote:It seems that I am home in Dublin the weekend of the final. I've just has a look at the Ticketmaster page and it is pretty much only showing tickets for either end of the ground. Anyone know (or care to speculate) if this because all the tickets for the sides have been sold or they are holding back?
Holding tickets back for the two finalists I would surmise
I have Bumbleflex
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Dave Cahill wrote:
domhnallj wrote:It seems that I am home in Dublin the weekend of the final. I've just has a look at the Ticketmaster page and it is pretty much only showing tickets for either end of the ground. Anyone know (or care to speculate) if this because all the tickets for the sides have been sold or they are holding back?
Holding tickets back for the two finalists I would surmise
Thanks for that - I guess there can't be a Leinster v Munster final so I think I'll wait and see if I can get better seats than the ones on offer now.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation