Connacht 2018-19

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Re: Connacht 2018-19

Postby dropkick » April 12th, 2019, 8:36 am

sunshiner1 wrote:Craig Ronaldson, James Mitchell, James Connolly, Conán O’Donnell, Peter McCabe, Peter Claffey and James Cannon are all leaving Connacht. With Conor McKeon and Eoin Griffin retiring. I gotta say I'm shocked. That is one hell of a clean out. With that many players gone I would expect some players from other provinces being moved to Connacht. No idea who though. It looks like maybe two or more academy players will be promoted from inside Connacht but that Mick Kearney to Connacht rumour suddenly makes a lot more sense to me.


Some surprises there. Cannon, McCabe and Ronaldson are important squad players, I thought. Pity to see so many players, who came through their academy, on the list but that's professional sport.


They must have plenty of signings lined up.
User avatar
dropkick
Mullet
 
Posts: 1478
Joined: January 2nd, 2007, 1:27 am
Location: Cork

Re: Connacht 2018-19

Postby sunshiner1 » April 12th, 2019, 9:58 am

Rumour is that Cannon is retiring but hasn't being announced yet. McCabe is a surprise. As for Ronaldson he's a great player but super injury prone and a team like Connacht can't afford to keep an injured player on the books all the time.

Pretty shocked he let O'Donnell, Connelly, and Claffey go.
sunshiner1
Enlightened
 
Posts: 854
Joined: October 13th, 2014, 9:07 pm

Re: Connacht 2018-19

Postby flustered » April 12th, 2019, 10:05 am

Watching Sevu Reece this morning for Canterbury he is some player, would have been a great addition for Connacht
flustered
Knowledgeable
 
Posts: 372
Joined: January 29th, 2009, 12:44 pm

Re: Connacht 2018-19

Postby ChrisUppy » April 12th, 2019, 10:38 am

Wasn't Peter Claffey the guy who partnered James Ryan back in his u20s days? if so I thought he had huge potential back then - what has happened since? He's obviously still very young. Would it be worth Leinster taking a punt on him?

Also given Leinster's openside stocks for next season, would Connelly be worth a one year contract? Yes Connors, JvdF and Penney are there but two of those have had recent long term injury concerns and there aren't any more opensides in the academy to dip in to
ChrisUppy
Graduate
 
Posts: 545
Joined: May 7th, 2011, 9:52 pm

Re: Connacht 2018-19

Postby dropkick » April 12th, 2019, 10:56 am

ChrisUppy wrote:Wasn't Peter Claffey the guy who partnered James Ryan back in his u20s days? if so I thought he had huge potential back then - what has happened since? He's obviously still very young. Would it be worth Leinster taking a punt on him?

Also given Leinster's openside stocks for next season, would Connelly be worth a one year contract? Yes Connors, JvdF and Penney are there but two of those have had recent long term injury concerns and there aren't any more opensides in the academy to dip in to



Claffey looked good for the U20s. Think he was about 19st and decent carrier.


Don't think Leinster need Connolly. Might be better to give the opportunity to other young players.
User avatar
dropkick
Mullet
 
Posts: 1478
Joined: January 2nd, 2007, 1:27 am
Location: Cork

Re: Connacht 2018-19

Postby Ruckedtobits » April 14th, 2019, 12:42 pm

Well done to Connacht. An excellent coaching performance throughout the season and now a very genuine pathway to the international team for every player qualified for Ireland. Thornbury is the latest player to show the benefits of a Season with an excellent coaching team and I hope to see him continue to improve and develop to his undoubted potential of a full green jersey.
Ruckedtobits
Brian O'Driscoll
 
Posts: 4133
Joined: April 10th, 2011, 10:23 am

Re: Connacht 2018-19

Postby ormond lad » April 14th, 2019, 9:18 pm

dropkick wrote:
ChrisUppy wrote:Wasn't Peter Claffey the guy who partnered James Ryan back in his u20s days? if so I thought he had huge potential back then - what has happened since? He's obviously still very young. Would it be worth Leinster taking a punt on him?

Also given Leinster's openside stocks for next season, would Connelly be worth a one year contract? Yes Connors, JvdF and Penney are there but two of those have had recent long term injury concerns and there aren't any more opensides in the academy to dip in to



Claffey looked good for the U20s. Think he was about 19st and decent carrier.


Don't think Leinster need Connolly. Might be better to give the opportunity to other young players.
Claffeys had lot of injury breaks Leinster have no need for any of these guys. Have enough in their own ranks
ormond lad
Knowledgeable
 
Posts: 467
Joined: September 30th, 2010, 5:04 pm

Re: Connacht 2018-19

Postby sunshiner1 » April 24th, 2019, 9:44 am

Connacht to announce the signing of a TH Prop in the next few days. Will be interested to see who Friend gets.
sunshiner1
Enlightened
 
Posts: 854
Joined: October 13th, 2014, 9:07 pm

Re: Connacht 2018-19

Postby betty swallocks » April 24th, 2019, 3:15 pm

Oli Jager perhaps? Or could be Vakh or Benty but unlikely with both Andrew and Tadhg down to go to the WC.
betty swallocks
Beginner
 
Posts: 42
Joined: May 15th, 2017, 4:23 pm

Re: Connacht 2018-19

Postby sunshiner1 » April 25th, 2019, 2:18 am

by betty swallocks » April 24th, 2019, 3:15 pm

Oli Jager perhaps? Or could be Vakh or Benty but unlikely with both Andrew and Tadhg down to go to the WC.


Jager makes the most sense. Would be a big surprise if the other two moved. That said last time they got Robertson - McCoy who was on no ones radar. Oisin Heffernan (Nottingham) is another possibility.
sunshiner1
Enlightened
 
Posts: 854
Joined: October 13th, 2014, 9:07 pm

Re: Connacht 2018-19

Postby wixfjord » April 25th, 2019, 8:35 am

Jager would be a big surprise too though surely? He's seemingly well rated and getting Super Rugby game time and has been down there for 6 years now.

He'd be a brilliant coup though, would add more potential depth at TH for Ireland as well.
wixfjord
Brian O'Driscoll
 
Posts: 4783
Joined: April 13th, 2009, 1:00 pm

Re: Connacht 2018-19

Postby ronk » April 25th, 2019, 8:40 am

The other provinces are deep enough at tighthead that a NIQ could be an option.

There's more depth for Ireland than we can rotate for already.
User avatar
ronk
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 9655
Joined: April 9th, 2009, 12:42 am

Re: Connacht 2018-19

Postby sunshiner1 » April 25th, 2019, 9:45 am

by wixfjord » April 25th, 2019, 8:35 am

Jager would be a big surprise too though surely? He's seemingly well rated and getting Super Rugby game time and has been down there for 6 years now.

He'd be a brilliant coup though, would add more potential depth at TH for Ireland as well.


That's the thinking. The IRFU might want to bring him home now and get him in the mix. Leinster and Ulster are well-stocked in the propping department and he's not South African enough for Munster so Connacht is the obvious choice. We'll find out soon.
sunshiner1
Enlightened
 
Posts: 854
Joined: October 13th, 2014, 9:07 pm

Re: Connacht 2018-19

Postby sunshiner1 » April 29th, 2019, 6:19 am

James Cannon allegedly off to Ealing Trailfinders next season. No idea if true.
sunshiner1
Enlightened
 
Posts: 854
Joined: October 13th, 2014, 9:07 pm

Re: Connacht 2018-19

Postby sunshiner1 » May 7th, 2019, 4:42 am

Connacht going to announce three new signings sometime this week. Two IQ and 1 NIQ. Friend has being talking about a power game citing the lack of a player who can give them go forward ball such as Coetzee at Ulster or Stander at Munster so would expect a bulldozer to be a signing.
sunshiner1
Enlightened
 
Posts: 854
Joined: October 13th, 2014, 9:07 pm

Re: Connacht 2018-19

Postby sunshiner1 » May 15th, 2019, 2:29 am

Connacht have signed former Munster tighthead prop Rory Burke from Nottingham. They have also promoted Stephen Kerins to a full contract. If these are the two IQ signings Friend was on about then that's pretty sad.
sunshiner1
Enlightened
 
Posts: 854
Joined: October 13th, 2014, 9:07 pm

Re: Connacht 2018-19

Postby sunshiner1 » May 16th, 2019, 3:55 am

John Porch signs for Connacht an Australian 7's player. Hope he does well but another underwheling signing. Strange how they signed him but never gave that 7's flyer Jordan Conroy a real chance when they had him.
sunshiner1
Enlightened
 
Posts: 854
Joined: October 13th, 2014, 9:07 pm

Re: Connacht 2018-19

Postby dropkick » May 16th, 2019, 10:31 am

sunshiner1 wrote:Connacht have signed former Munster tighthead prop Rory Burke from Nottingham. They have also promoted Stephen Kerins to a full contract. If these are the two IQ signings Friend was on about then that's pretty sad.



Surely they've one or two others lined up.
User avatar
dropkick
Mullet
 
Posts: 1478
Joined: January 2nd, 2007, 1:27 am
Location: Cork

Re: Connacht 2018-19

Postby sunshiner1 » May 17th, 2019, 2:57 am

They don't seem to. They have they got something like 43 players in the squad so I can't see them bringing anyone more. They've talked about how retaining players is hurting the budget so I think that's it.
sunshiner1
Enlightened
 
Posts: 854
Joined: October 13th, 2014, 9:07 pm

Re: Connacht 2018-19

Postby sunshiner1 » May 24th, 2019, 2:11 am

Talk of McPhilips leaving Ulster and joining Connacht. Can't see it happening to be honest
sunshiner1
Enlightened
 
Posts: 854
Joined: October 13th, 2014, 9:07 pm

PreviousNext

Return to General Rugby

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: SemrushBot [Bot] and 2 guests