Toulouse Offer for Carter

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

leinsterlank
Knowledgeable

Toulouse Offer for Carter

Post by leinsterlank »

I heard today from wuite a reliable source that Dan Carter has been offered 1.9 million euro a year contract with toulouse. Is there are written truth to this firstly?Secondly, if this is true is that too large an amount of money, nearly twice the current highest paid professional, for a rugby player to be paid? It is bordering on the lower wages of teh premier league, at 36,000 euro a week!!!!Finally, how ood will toulouse be with this guy?The missing cog in their well oiled machine!!It is nearly unimaginable.
"It feels great. I've played for the team for 10 years and it was worth the wait. I love Leinster and I wanted to do it before the end of my career."

- BOD, Heineken Cup and Grand Slam Winner 2009
leinsterlank
Knowledgeable

Re: Toulouse Offer for Carter

Post by leinsterlank »

Just found this in the australian sydney herald.

The Dan Carter bidding war rages on. French second division rugby club Toulon are ready to make their play for the star All Blacks first five-eighth, according to an unconfirmed report in French sports newspaper L'Equipe.

Carter, rated the premier No 10 in world rugby, has already been linked to a $1.9m-a-year deal with French superclub Toulouse, a figure that would make him easily the highest paid player in the game, nearly doubling the salaries offered to his former national team-mates Carl Hayman (Newcastle) and Luke McAlister (Sale).

The Toulouse offer is also well over what the cashed-up British clubs are prepared to shell out, with the Ospreys of Wales also said to have been in talks with Carter's representatives.

But it seems anything Toulouse can do, Toulon are not too far behind. Well, almost, with the French second division club coached by former All Blacks captain Tana Umaga not quite in the same ballpark as the deal reported to be offered by Toulouse.

L'Equipe said in its Monday edition that ambitious Toulon president Mourad Boudjellal, despite uncertainties over his own future, wants Carter at the top of a raft of key signings - a deal that would be dependant on the club securing promotion to next season's Top 14.

Publishing magnate Boudjellal has already shown that money is no barrier to success, shelling out huge wads of cash on an array of signings already, starting with Umaga back in 2006 when he was paid hundreds of thousands of dollars just to appear in a handful of matches.

The report claims Toulon have already held talks with Carter's agents and are favourites to land the player, who if he signed would play from "December 1 to June 1 2009".

Umaga's relationship with his former No 10 is considered a key plank in the deal.

Carter is off contract with the New Zealand Rugby Union at the end of the year and has stated on a number of occasions his desire to experience rugby in another part of the world.

It's thought if he can secure a rich short-term deal he would ideally return to New Zealand in time to contend for the 2011 World Cup.

At present the All Blacks do not select any overseas-based players, a situation that is not expected to change in the immediate future.

Any Carter deal would be dependent on Toulon's promotion. With six matches remaining the club leads the second division on 86 points, seven ahead of Mont-de-Marsan. The division winners earn automatic promotion, while the next four battle for the second promotion spot.

L'Equipe says Toulon are preapred to offer Carter a $NZ1,427,000 contract for one season with the club.

The paper also contended that Boudjellal would "take professional rugby into a new realm" by offering Carter an image rights deal that would help sell shirts and give the New Zealand star a percentage that would guarantee him at least another $NZ200,000 per annum.

So far, Carter, who is recovering from an ankle injury, has refused to comment on his future plans. He is not expected to return to the Crusaders in the Super 14 until the semifinals.
"It feels great. I've played for the team for 10 years and it was worth the wait. I love Leinster and I wanted to do it before the end of my career."

- BOD, Heineken Cup and Grand Slam Winner 2009
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

This is more a general rugby topic, I'd think.
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

Donny B. wrote:This is more a general rugby topic, I'd think.
It is :oops:
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

leinsterlank wrote:I heard today from wuite a reliable source that Dan Carter has been offered 1.9 million euro a year contract with toulouse. Is there are written truth to this firstly?Secondly, if this is true is that too large an amount of money, nearly twice the current highest paid professional, for a rugby player to be paid? It is bordering on the lower wages of teh premier league, at 36,000 euro a week!!!!Finally, how ood will toulouse be with this guy?The missing cog in their well oiled machine!!It is nearly unimaginable.
Ehm, it's actually 1.9 mill in New Zealand Dollars not euro. I don't know the exact exchange rate (help Sheepshagger) but I've heard they offered him €750k a year. Now that's €15k a week, still a bloody good wegde to get your hands on, but not quite Premiership money.
Hickiefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Hickiefan »

Donny B. wrote:
leinsterlank wrote:I heard today from wuite a reliable source that Dan Carter has been offered 1.9 million euro a year contract with toulouse. Is there are written truth to this firstly?Secondly, if this is true is that too large an amount of money, nearly twice the current highest paid professional, for a rugby player to be paid? It is bordering on the lower wages of teh premier league, at 36,000 euro a week!!!!Finally, how ood will toulouse be with this guy?The missing cog in their well oiled machine!!It is nearly unimaginable.
Ehm, it's actually 1.9 mill in New Zealand Dollars not euro. I don't know the exact exchange rate (help Sheepshagger) but I've heard they offered him €750k a year. Now that's €15k a week, still a bloody good wegde to get your hands on, but not quite Premiership money.
About NZ$2 to the euro (roughly)
Qui me amat, amet et Leinsterum meum.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Been running for a few weeks now this story and it was Cardiff that were after him not Ospreys, Toulon seem to be frontrunners at present but All Blacks management would rather he played in Magners or Premiership instead of the French 14
CRAZYDAVE
Rhys Ruddock

Post by CRAZYDAVE »

FFS... €1.9 million a year... How are the IRFU going to compete with the rest for these Kiwi's ?

Should we compete ? Does one player make a team ?
T - 45
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

CRAZYDAVE wrote:FFS... €1.9 million a year... How are the IRFU going to compete with the rest for these Kiwi's ?

Its not €1.9 million it is €1 million the other figure is NZ$
CRAZYDAVE
Rhys Ruddock

Post by CRAZYDAVE »

rooster wrote:
CRAZYDAVE wrote:FFS... €1.9 million a year... How are the IRFU going to compete with the rest for these Kiwi's ?

Its not €1.9 million it is €1 million the other figure is NZ$
Even at €1 million #(just short of €20k a week). No player is worth that much unless he scores a guaranteed 30+ points per match.
T - 45
General Collins
Graduate

Post by General Collins »

Well Carter scored 30 points against the Lions in the second test in Wellington. One of the most complete rugby displays by any individual i've seen for a long while

I'd say he's definitely worth it.
If only you'd given me time,
what a country we'd now live in.......
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

Have heard rumours of Kiwi's being selected for the AB's now even if they play in Europe or Japan. Is this true or in what circumstances?
"Munster could join the French League, or an expanded English / British league."
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

General Collins wrote:Well Carter scored 30 points against the Lions in the second test in Wellington. One of the most complete rugby displays by any individual i've seen for a long while

I'd say he's definitely worth it.
That match was 3 years ago. I'm only basing my opinions on international rugby but I haven't seen much that would justify him being rated as the top player in the world this season. He wasn't the best performing out-half in the WC and, in my opinion, wasn't even the best performing out-half in the NZ squad. I think anyone would be mad to pay that. Could easily get a 2 or 3 world class players for that money.

Don't get me wrong, he is certainly a class act but worth that money? I don't buy it.
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

It's now only a matter of time before Dan Carter is announced as Toulon's prized new signing.

Sunday News understands the All Blacks first-five and his representatives have told the president of Toulon, Mourad Boudjellal he has agreed to join the French club next season.

But Carter has stipulated one key condition to the deal Toulon must win promotion to the Top 14 (the French first division) this season, otherwise the deal is off.

Toulon are currently first in the second division with five games to go and before this weekend's action they were three points clear of the second placed team, Racing Metro.

Only the top team is automatically promoted each season, the next four teams play off for the second promotion spot.

Carter who has been commuting from Auckland during the Super 14 so he can spend time with his girlfriend, Black Stick Honor Dillon will go to France after the All Blacks Grand Slam tour in November and return to New Zealand in time for next year's All Blacks inbound tests against France and Italy.

For his six-month sabbatical Carter will earn a fortune.

He will be paid €700k for his basic contract, a €100k non-negotiable bonus and extra money for the use of his image in advertising campaigns.

The news of Carter agreeing to go to Toulon was reported in French rugby magazine Midi Olympic last week.

They said Boudjellal seems to have ticked all the right boxes during negotiations to recruit one of the world's best players.

Boudjellal recently went on record saying how much he would love to bring Carter to his club, if they gain promotion next season.

"Seeing the standard of the Top 14 next year will be so high, there is good reason to arm ourselves with eight to 10 players of the very highest level," said the insatiable Boudjellal.

"With Dan Carter in particular, we believe we have made what I believe is the best possible offer.

"Plus in addition to the money, he would find himself among his colleagues Andrew Mehrtens and Tana Umaga which will make a difference.

"I also know that the NZRU will be pleased at having Tana present in order to gauge Carter's physical state and performance."

If Toulon don't win promotion it's believed a number of English clubs are lined up to secure Carter's services with Saracens, backed by millionaire owner Nigel Wray expected to lead the chase.

Although Carter has agreed a deal with Toulon, it doesn't mean his negotiations with the NZRU have come to an end.

There had been fears expressed by some in the media once Carter samples life in France he may decide not to come back but that won't be the case.

The sabbatical option for key players means that the NZRU will still look to sign Carter up on a long-term deal, probably until 2011 and inside that contract will be the agreement for him to go overseas for a short period and then return.

Meanwhile, former All Black Simon Mannix, who is now one of the coaches at Racing Metro, said on French radio last week just how special a player Carter is.

"In New Zealand Dan Carter is the top player. He is an idol all over the country and really a super nice guy," Mannix told French listeners. "He places a lot of value on the black jersey and is a great example for everyone.

"I believe Carter to be the equivalent of Zinadine Zidane in New Zealand."

http://www.rugbyheaven.co.nz/4518436a22363.html