Tommy Bowe gone native

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Flakey 15
Bookworm

Tommy Bowe gone native

Post by Flakey 15 »

From BBC Site-
Tommy Bowe has vowed to enjoy a dream Ospreys debut - just to keep Grand Slam hero Shane Williams out of the side.

Irishman Bowe was picked ahead of Welsh superstar Williams in new Ospreys coach Sean Holley's first squad as they start their Magners League bid at Connacht.
And winger Bowe said: "It's great to come new club and play in the first game but I've put pressure on myself to do perform well to hold onto the shirt.
"Shane is a great player and I'll have to work wonders to keep him out."
The 24-year-old Irish international, a summer signing from Ulster, has joined Welsh rugby's galacticos to win major trophies.
And highly-rated Bowe hopes his running battle with red hot Williams on the Ospreys left wing will be a fascinating sub-plot to an exciting season at the Liberty Stadium.
Shane Williams
If I get in the Ospreys team ahead of players like Shane Williams then that won't do my Ireland chances any harm at all
But Bowe insists his head-to-head with arguably world rugby's most prolific finisher will ensure both players continue to improve.never heard of Brian Habana then.

"The strength in depth in the Ospreys squad is phenomenal," said Bowe.

"I couldn't believe it when I joined, there were quality international players wherever I looked. (neither could Ulster
"And on the right wing it's no different as I'll have develop into a top, top player to keep out Shane and Nikki Walker.
"That kind of battle for the jersey will only make us all better players because we're all desperate to play regularly, no one likes sitting on the bench.
"But for a successful team on all fronts, both domestically and in Europe, you need a big squad as that allows for squad rotation to keep us fresh."Sucessful ?

The ambitious Ospreys are desperate to rule Europe and win the Heineken Cup as well as win the Magners League.

The Neath/Swansea region won the EDF Energy Cup last season yet that was not good enough and coach Lyn Jones paid the price with his job.

Elite Performance Director Andrew Hore is still searching worldwide for Jones' successor but until a suitable big-name coach is found, Jones' former assistant Holley will take caretaker charge.

It's that tunnel-vision for success that attracted Bowe to sign a two-year deal at the Liberty Stadium and potentially harm his international career.

"My international coach would have liked it if I'd stayed in Ireland, that would have been a better option in that respect," admits Bowe.gee you think ?

"But I'm ambitious and want to win major competitions and play in massive games and the Ospreys are ambitious too.
not too pushed about Ireland so.
"And if I get in the Ospreys team ahead of players like Shane and Nikki and playing in big games in big competitions then that won't do my Ireland chances any harm at all.

"It's a challenge for me but that's why I'm here - it's like a breath of fresh air. I'm excited and up for it.

"I'm pleased to be starting the first game as I go back to Ireland to face Connacht but with Shane on the bench, I've got to keep on my toes."

Ospreys coach Jonathan Humphreys says the Welsh region will "mix and match" their first XV as their opener in Galway is their first of three games in three different countries in seven days.

Williams and fellow Welsh internationals Duncan Jones and Alun Wyn Jones are on the bench for Friday's game with Connacht alongside experienced former All Black Filo Tiatia.

"We do have a bit of a dilemma in picking the team because we've so many good players," said Humphreys.