Lomu signs in France

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

jaybyrne
Bookworm

Lomu signs in France

Post by jaybyrne »

nah Lomu could be about to revive his playing career after French amateur club Marseille-Vitrolles said they were close to finalising a deal for the former All Black.
RUGBY Lomu - 0

"Lomu at Marseille, it's the promise of a great story, of a human adventure only rugby can provide and of an exciting challenge for an exceptional player whose only goal is to help our club grow," Marseille-Vitrolles president Claude Atcher said in a statement.

A powerful winger, Lomu, 34, won 63 caps for New Zealand between 1994 and 2002 and was regarded as the world's most spectacular player in his prime.

"Everybody thought I had stopped my career but it was an error," Lomu was quoted as saying in the statement posted on the club's website.

Marseille-Vitrolles play in Federale 1, the equivalent of the French third division.

A rare mix of tremendous pace and strength, Lomu broke on to the rugby scene with a sensational performance at the 1995 World Cup, helping the All Blacks reach the final with seven tries in five matches.

Four of those tries came in the semi-final against England, during which he literally ran over England full back Mike Catt.

A serious kidney disorder led to a transplant in 2004 and although he came back to play for Cardiff Blues and North Harbour he was unable to win back his international place.

"I still feel the need to play and I will be the only one to decide when it's over," he was quoted as saying in the French club's statement.

"Marseille is the second largest city in France and must have a great club. Promotion to the second division is the club's priority. I liked that challenge. My ambition is to help Marseille belong to