Sports events 'must be on free TV'

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Munsterboy
Mullet

Re: Sports events 'must be on free TV'

Post by Munsterboy »

I'm delighted if Ryan is "rowing back" on this idea. However, the last thing we need now is the opposition backing him into a corner and forcing him to stick to his guns just to save face. If he's seen the error of his ways, let the man quietly bin the whole thing and move on.
We're all red on the inside.
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

I'm not sure where this lies given the upcoming election.

However, the Amlin Cup fixtures were released during the week. Munster are playing Brive on the Saturday at c. 1pm. Sky aren't showing it but Eurosport apparently are (stop sniggering down the back!) I was under the impression that RTE (as an associated partner) could cover the game if Sky weren't interested - is this correct?
A proud Winsome Fluter
simplythebest
Enlightened

Post by simplythebest »

Grumpy Old Man wrote:However, the Amlin Cup fixtures were released during the week. Munster are playing Brive on the Saturday at c. 1pm. Sky aren't showing it but Eurosport apparently are (stop sniggering down the back!)
Poor ol' munster. The ignominy of it all. First their last match was only available on the Sky red button. Now their next match isn't even shown on Sky at all.
I don't know whether they'll ever recover from this. Shows how fickle the great unwashed viewing public are.
LEINSTER pour toujours
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

Todays Tribune reported that the fta plans are now as dead as the greens
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
Bosco
Mullet

Post by Bosco »

Someone should tell Sky that they are not showing the game, because they have been telling people that they are

Eurosport France are the host broadcasters for the game.
Schumi
Enlightened

Post by Schumi »

simplythebest wrote:Poor ol' munster. The ignominy of it all. First their last match was only available on the Sky red button.
That'd never happen to us...
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Bosco wrote:Someone should tell Sky that they are not showing the game, because they have been telling people that they are

Eurosport France are the host broadcasters for the game.
I think that was a bit too subtle (Unusually for you) for some.
Bosco
Mullet

Post by Bosco »

:D
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Schumi wrote:
simplythebest wrote:Poor ol' munster. The ignominy of it all. First their last match was only available on the Sky red button.
That'd never happen to us...
Of course it wouldn't. Ours would be on the blue button.
Bosco
Mullet

Post by Bosco »

I was going to make some joke about that being the "favourites" button, but none of them work :(
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

IRFU fears revenues may fall if Six Nations free-to-air
http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/i ... -1.2159223

The free to air issue surfaces again, this time for the 6 Nations. I didn't realise it was all of 5 years ago that Eamon Ryan was stirring this up with the HEC.
Dont Panic!
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Dexter wrote:IRFU fears revenues may fall if Six Nations free-to-air
http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/i ... -1.2159223

The free to air issue surfaces again, this time for the 6 Nations. I didn't realise it was all of 5 years ago that Eamon Ryan was stirring this up with the HEC.
You'd swear there was an election due in the next 12 months or something.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Wait. 2010 was 5 years ago? Seems like last week.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Ireland can stir that up a bit as we only account for a small part of the TV market for 6n

the IRFU/6n I dont think for one minute want it on pay tv especially BT but they deserve to get maximum commercial benefit while doing so

and sure thered be uproar if rights even went to tv3
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

simonokeeffe wrote:
and sure thered be uproar if rights even went to tv3
Not sure about that. RTÉ have pissed in the soup for so long having Hook shiteing on about... whatever it is he shites on about that nobody sups from that voluntarily. We'll see how the World Cup is on TV3, but I haven't heard any complaints in advance.

That said RTÉ's coverage is looking good now so it would be a shame. But if O'Gara and Horgan go to TV3 with the six nations I'd be happy.
leinster4life13
Mullet

Post by leinster4life13 »

Who cares, high speed internet+video capture software all the rugby you ever need, even at that, all the games are on youtube in HD an hour or two after they are broadcast. As far as im concerned RTE are a joke, they had the pro12 and make a dogs dinner of it, and the pro12 is paying for that lack of attention, they do the bare minimum for sports in this country whilst filling their lineup with braindead shite, they should be privatised sold off the the highest bidder, incentivise them to put some effort into their sports coverage. Look at the way NRL is covered in AUS, loads of coverage in the papers, online and tv, RTEs poverty coverage and set up of the sports they do cover pales in comparison.
The Harry Vermass fanclub

Heroes: David Knox, Carlos Spencer, Marc Lieveremont, Ian Madigan.

Villains: Kidney, O'Gara, Phillpe St Andre, Laporte, Cork Con Mafia,Matt O'Connor.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

leinster4life13 wrote:Who cares, high speed internet+video capture software all the rugby you ever need, even at that, all the games are on youtube in HD an hour or two after they are broadcast. As far as im concerned RTE are a joke, they had the pro12 and make a dogs dinner of it, and the pro12 is paying for that lack of attention, they do the bare minimum for sports in this country whilst filling their lineup with braindead shite, they should be privatised sold off the the highest bidder, incentivise them to put some effort into their sports coverage. Look at the way NRL is covered in AUS, loads of coverage in the papers, online and tv, RTEs poverty coverage and set up of the sports they do cover pales in comparison.
That is some properly incoherent rambling. Genuinely that is George Hook level of blather. Just imagine what it will be like when you are his age and your brain is Swiss cheese from all the drugs.

What have RTE got to do with newspaper coverage? How does the fact that it is private make TV3's lineup less full of brain dead shite? How does selling them or anyone else off to the highest bidder incentivise them to putting effort into sports coverage?

I could go on but your puerile Ayn Rand style sense of self entitlement just isn't worth it.
leinster4life13
Mullet

fourthirtythree wrote:
That is some properly incoherent rambling. Genuinely that is George Hook level of blather. Just imagine what it will be like when you are his age and your brain is Swiss cheese from all the drugs.

What have RTE got to do with newspaper coverage? How does the fact that it is private make TV3's lineup less full of brain dead shite? How does selling them or anyone else off to the highest bidder incentivise them to putting effort into sports coverage?

I could go on but your puerile Ayn Rand style sense of self entitlement just isn't worth it.
I segued TV coverage into newspaper as they flow from one another, NRL is huge because TV does such a great job marketing it, that then filters down to the papers, which increases advertising which increa....do I need to explain capitalism to you? Basically everything is roses thanks to private enterprise. RTE dont get this, they treated their product like sh!t, advertisers wanted nothing to do with it, revenue fell, it is a joke competition due to the broadcasting mismanagement of it. RTE had a prime product and they let it wither on the vine. IF you are paying money for something and your job is on the line, it incentivises you to sell the product, to sell advertising etc, which in turn leads to more revenue and better product on the field. TV3 might be good, it might be awful, but with a WC its hard to judge as its a one off event, its hard to f%~k up something that everyone will watch. Pro 12 is proof RTEs sports dept cant tell their arse from their elbow, the reason they are still funded by the taxpayer is beyond me.

Villains: Kidney, O'Gara, Phillpe St Andre, Laporte, Cork Con Mafia,Matt O'Connor.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

leinster4life13 wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote:

I segued TV coverage into newspaper as they flow from one another, NRL is huge because TV does such a great job marketing it, that then filters down to the papers, which increases advertising which increa....do I need to explain capitalism to you? Basically everything is roses thanks to private enterprise. RTE dont get this, they treated their product like sh!t, advertisers wanted nothing to do with it, revenue fell, it is a joke competition due to the broadcasting mismanagement of it. RTE had a prime product and they let it wither on the vine. IF you are paying money for something and your job is on the line, it incentivises you to sell the product, to sell advertising etc, which in turn leads to more revenue and better product on the field. TV3 might be good, it might be awful, but with a WC its hard to judge as its a one off event, its hard to f%~k up something that everyone will watch. Pro 12 is proof RTEs sports dept cant tell their arse from their elbow, the reason they are still funded by the taxpayer is beyond me.
NRL is part owned by the Ozzie media. I'd imagine that's why it does so well and the coverage through the different spectrums of the media is "good" as you say. It's roses if you're a part of the cartel.

RTE never saw the Pro12 as a prime product and tbf the union never did a whole lot to give the impression they gave a damn about it. We're a long way from the SRU and the IRFU pulling the interantionals in the run up to the RWC in 2007 but they did pull the stars from the leinster Munster game in Thomond on St. Stephens day. I wasn't happy with RTEs coverage of the Pro12 but what it really came down to was they didn't have the money to throw at it that say for instance Sky had/have. They have to cover all sports in Ireland and if it means that all they can afford to cover for Rugby is the 6N, then so be it.

I don't agree at all that TV3 would be better. I've never liked their soccer coverage.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
leinster4life13
Mullet

I'm not saying TV3 would be better, but the coverage of the '11 final with Williams on setanta was far better then the tired old RTE "controversy over rugby" format they have been wheeling out the past few years. Look at against the Head(pure guff), Dara O'Brians smugness when he covered the pro12, Ryle Nugents clown act, RTE rugby coverage was/is lowest common denominator stuff, COS and ROG are a breath of fresh air, but how long has it taken, and their contribution shows how low the panel had sunk.

That is quality punditry, no matter what way you cut it.[/url]