Super 15

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Leinster Lout
Graduate

Super 15

Post by Leinster Lout »

Who do people reckon will do well? Names to watch out for?

Every team seems to be hit with injuries. Carter, McCaw, Cooper, Mitchell, Lachie Turner, the Beast are all out for a while. Loads of big names have gone too: Bakkies Botha, Matfield, Smit, Fourie (I think), Thorn etc.

Hard to see past the Crusaders but I reckon the Reds, Waratahs and the Sharks will be very strong. Highlanders look like dark horses if they can avoid injuries.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Re: Super 15

Post by Logorrhea »

Dont really understand the new (well last years) conferences. I'm not sure who plays who now, but manufacturing interest in the latter stages from each geographcial region was probably a good move for what had become a very stale competition.

Crusaders and Reds will be there or thereabouts again no?
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Logorrhea wrote:Dont really understand the new (well last years) conferences. I'm not sure who plays who now, but manufacturing interest in the latter stages from each geographcial region was probably a good move for what had become a very stale competition.

Crusaders and Reds will be there or thereabouts again no?
Chiefs might sneak a look in with Sonny Bill, Kahui and Cruden all in since last year.
Dont Panic!
Bodisgod89
Learner

Post by Bodisgod89 »

I think its the crusaders' title to lose, I see Steven Sykes is starting for sharks this weekend in opening round, I really wish we got to see more of him...I will be watching the match, if for nothing else, to see Bismark in action...I still can't believe John Smit was started ahead of him at the WC
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Bodisgod89 wrote:I think its the crusaders' title to lose, I see Steven Sykes is starting for sharks this weekend in opening round, I really wish we got to see more of him...I will be watching the match, if for nothing else, to see Bismark in action...I still can't believe John Smit was started ahead of him at the WC
Crusaders would have won it last year if they had a home ground. Imagine Leinster playing all their games outside Leinster. :shock:

Never mind even factoring in all the travel (Feckers were in Twickers ffs) The home advantage alone..... And they still made the Final and gave the Reds a good go.

Sykes may fare better at home. You have to think he just did not fit in here. Game is on Sky HD2 about 5 bells on Friday.

I will be watching the Tahs trying to topple the champs at 8:40 on Saturday morn. Missing Rocky, Turner, Mitchell, Pakalani and a few more.
MelbourneRebel
Knowledgeable

Post by MelbourneRebel »

I'd fancy Crusaders, although they have the same issues this year. Looking at the odds on Paddy Power, apart from the Crusaders it all seems a bit random.
http://www.paddypower.com/bet/rugby-uni ... ids=403409

I think the Australian conference looks very weak this year.

Brumbies: I am very interested in seeing how they fare this year. Banking on Tomane's conversion going well, and although he is no replacement for Rocky at least they will see Mowen on the pitch. They have lost a lot of players. I think Jake White will be working a miracle if they are competitive.

Force: Certs for the wooden spoon, hit heavily in the market,

Rebels: They could win the conference, they could get the wooden spoon. O'Connor and Beale are huge signings, I don't think they were wise signings though (at least signing both of them). They needed to invest up front, Elsom was on the market and they should have gone for him as a priority. Beale is an amazing player, but he is going to be directly replacing Gerrard who was their best player last year and a guy who should still be a Wallaby IMO. O'Connor is class too, picking himself at 12 though and that is not where they need him. Cipriani is bad news, I can't believe he hasn't been sacked. There is a bad culture at the club and they already have a few boozers. And no McQueen.

Reds: I can see them winning the conference but that's about it. Even though the coward is my pet hate in rugby (I think he is a disgrace and an embarrassment) they will miss him. Surely every team knows how to combat them now?

Waratahs: I bought a season ticket for the Waratahs this year, disappointed to see them hit so badly by injuries though. I expect them to be relatively solid. Could be the best of a bad bunch.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Oh Yeah. And 5 games on Sky.....Great!

The other 2 on Friday morning. Could they not have shown Blues V Crusaders later. Or even better bring back the highlights show.
FatBoyChoice
Graduate

Post by FatBoyChoice »

+1 for Crusaders. Hard to look past given their squad and really were best team last season.
MelbourneRebel wrote: Rebels: They could win the conference, they could get the wooden spoon. O'Connor and Beale are huge signings, I don't think they were wise signings though (at least signing both of them). They needed to invest up front, Elsom was on the market and they should have gone for him as a priority. Beale is an amazing player, but he is going to be directly replacing Gerrard who was their best player last year and a guy who should still be a Wallaby IMO. O'Connor is class too, picking himself at 12 though and that is not where they need him. Cipriani is bad news, I can't believe he hasn't been sacked. There is a bad culture at the club and they already have a few boozers. And no McQueen.
100% agree regarding Cipriani, can't believe so many Rebels fans seem to love him, he's an overrated show pony and arrogant as hell with it too.
I've met good few of the rebels players as they train down the road from me, the attitude from some of the younger lads is gas, they strut around and act like they are superstars, most of them are not even in matchday squad ffs, suppose it's the Aussie way. On the other hand some of the senior lads, like Mortlock, are really sound, no bs type guys.
blues_fan
Knowledgeable

Post by blues_fan »

Logorrhea wrote:Dont really understand the new (well last years) conferences. I'm not sure who plays who now, but manufacturing interest in the latter stages from each geographcial region was probably a good move for what had become a very stale competition.
Mate it's simple. Home and away with your conference then a rotating mixture of the rest. A carbon copy of the NFL.

The Cru are muffed. Mega injuries, retirements and defections. We will roger them tomorrow!
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

But who decides the mixture. Do you play every one, some home, some away and the reverse of those home and away games in the next season?
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

blues_fan wrote:
Mate it's simple. Home and away with your conference then a rotating mixture of the rest. A carbon copy of the NFL.

The Cru are muffed. Mega injuries, retirements and defections. We will roger them tomorrow!
Best of luck with that one. I would always support the 3 north island teams over the cru. Have friends or relations in the 3 areas.

I met Isa when he arrived 1st and failed to convince him that the blues were like leinster and the cru were like munster. Actually think I pi$$ed him off a bit trying.

Things have changed a bit up here since :)
Leinster Lout
Graduate

Post by Leinster Lout »

Blues have won all their pre season games well. They've underperformed in recent years but I think they'll be top 5 this year for sure. Crusaders look stronger to me though.

A lot of unknown (to me anyway) outhalves lining out. Hobbs for the Blues, Harris for the Reds, some lad for the Crusaders. It'll be interesting to see how they go.

I see Wellington have lost most of their good players and on top of that are suffering an injury crisis. Stormers have them at home 1st up and are -11 on Paddy Power. Gonna have some of that
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

johng wrote:Oh Yeah. And 5 games on Sky.....Great!

The other 2 on Friday morning. Could they not have shown Blues V Crusaders later. Or even better bring back the highlights show.
I loved that show, great highlights package, it was must see viewing. Even Morgan Freeman watch was a nice little Super Rugby suited concept.
blues_fan
Knowledgeable

Post by blues_fan »

Leinster Lout wrote:Blues have won all their pre season games well. They've underperformed in recent years but I think they'll be top 5 this year for sure. Crusaders look stronger to me though.

A lot of unknown (to me anyway) outhalves lining out. Hobbs for the Blues, Harris for the Reds, some lad for the Crusaders. It'll be interesting to see how they go.

I see Wellington have lost most of their good players and on top of that are suffering an injury crisis. Stormers have them at home 1st up and are -11 on Paddy Power. Gonna have some of that
Weepu will be our 1st-5 once he gets his fat ass into shape. Harris is a good player, Lam flubbed it when he let him go to the Reds, and the Cru's new 1st-5 is Carter's heir apparent. Quite sickening really, they have the two best players in the country(Carter & McCaw) and the two best prospects(Todd & Bleyendaal) backing them up. Still gonna roger them but.
blues_fan
Knowledgeable

Post by blues_fan »

Darce wrote:But who decides the mixture. Do you play every one, some home, some away and the reverse of those home and away games in the next season?
You miss 1 from the other 2 conferences, which rotates season to season.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

TerenureJim wrote:
johng wrote:Oh Yeah. And 5 games on Sky.....Great!

I loved that show, great highlights package, it was must see viewing. Even Morgan Freeman watch was a nice little Super Rugby suited concept.
6th game on the Website in the morning. Guess which one?.................. No. It's the focking Brumbies v Rebels. Who the fock wants to see that?
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

http://www8.livetv.ru/webplayer2.php?t= ... =434&si=33

Super Rugby is back!!

blues_fan must be pretty happy with the start, Blues lead 12-6. Great take and pass from Mealamu for the second try. 'Saders have a dominant scrum so far.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

From being 12-3 down, the 'Saders are 12-16 up at the break. Good game in poor conditions. Freuen with another excellent try.
FatBoyChoice
Graduate

Post by FatBoyChoice »

Very entertaining game. Great finish, was 100% sure Weepu was gonna slot that, he should have stayed a bit further out!
totalrandomer
Graduate

Post by totalrandomer »

FatBoyChoice wrote:Very entertaining game. Great finish, was 100% sure Weepu was gonna slot that, he should have stayed a bit further out!
Don't do anything crazy like.......I dunno.....tell us the score or anything.