Connacht sign Craig Clarke

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Re: Connacht sign Craig Clarke

Post by hugonaut »

lummix wrote:Great signing for them anyway. That's the tight 5 sorted for next year. Still need a backrow or 2, a centre and a back 3 player but it's great for Irish rugby there at long last being taken seriously. Let's hope pat lam can deliver for them now.
You'd have to imagine that there's a chance that one of Ivan Dineen, Danny Barnes or Scott Deasy will be considered surplus to requirements at Munster. Any one of those players would be a good pick-up – they're relatively young, have been involved in a decent team with some good players, have reasonable professional experience and are Irish-qualified.

Barnes [23] would be the pick of the bunch, and he's getting incredibly little gametime at Munster this season [90 minutes in the Pro12 over 15 games: http://www.rabodirectpro12.com/teams/mu ... ef=dynamic ], having impressed in previous seasons. A centre corps of McSharry, Tonetti, Griffin and Barnes would give you two No12s, two No13s, all four of them Irish-qualified and all four of them aged 25 or younger.
bamboozle
Bookworm

Post by bamboozle »

i've watched Barnes playing AIL for Dolphin a few times and never been impressed. Dineen needs gametime to show his worth but i think now he's a poor version of Jimmy Downey. If i was Connacht the Munster centre i'd be after would be Corey Hircock, very similar player to EOM, great footwork and with ball in hand, defence suspect.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

bamboozle wrote:Maitland's got a scottish granparent, maybe that helped
he could have William Wallace tattooed on his arse but thats no good if hes tied by representation :)

double checked, won an u20 world cup and played for Maoiri (agianst us too), Maoiri have been designated 2nd team some years (not any more though), might be when/if no JAB programme or a more minor one.

either way

Duffy, Carr, Henshaw, McSharry, Poolman, Parks, Marmion, Buckley, JHW, White, Swift, Clarke, Muldoon, Conneely, McKeon a good side, and intact for most of the season, few good subs to have too like O'Halloran, Muldowney, George Naoupu, Vainikolo, Murphy, Tonetti
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

I'm open to correction but most NZ signings have worked out pretty well for whichever province they've signed for.
Casey Laulala maybe, but still not a stinker?
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
ratpack
Mullet

Post by ratpack »

Oldschool wrote:I'm open to correction but most NZ signings have worked out pretty well for whichever province they've signed for.
Clinton Huppert, Mike Storey, Bryce Williams, Christian Cullen, Nick Williams all excepted then...
lummix
Graduate

Post by lummix »

Don't forget Eddie hekenui, he was class for Leinster. In fairness nick Williams has redeemed himself somewhat at ulster, think the munster thing didn't work out for him as they tried playing him wing forward when he's a big ball carrying 8 in the victor costello Scott quinell mould
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

ceemec wrote:Fairly sure Maitland never played for the JAB side. NZ Maoris, perhaps but they do not count towards international qualification.
Yeah but perhaps this caused the confusion.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2013/01/2 ... DC20130129

While he played for the All Blacks junior team (i.e. under-20s), he didn't actually play for the Junior All Blacks, which are effectively NZ 'A' with a confusing name.

Remember wondering if Nick Williams could play for Ireland if he spent enough time here but was told that his junior AB caps would rule him out.
ratpack
Mullet

Post by ratpack »

Donny B. wrote:
ceemec wrote:Fairly sure Maitland never played for the JAB side. NZ Maoris, perhaps but they do not count towards international qualification.
Yeah but perhaps this caused the confusion.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2013/01/2 ... DC20130129

While he played for the All Blacks junior team (i.e. under-20s), he didn't actually play for the Junior All Blacks, which are effectively NZ 'A' with a confusing name.

Remember wondering if Nick Williams could play for Ireland if he spent enough time here but was told that his junior AB caps would rule him out.
Oh right, I thought Williams would qualify for Ireland, I'm sure I remember people saying that when he signed with Munster initially. Obviously mistaken.
Apocrypha
Graduate

Post by Apocrypha »

Who can forget Sa've Tokula? :shock: :? :(
Sea_point
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sea_point »

hugonaut wrote:Absolutely great signing, and a superb replacement for Mike McCarthy. He's a serious player and an excellent leader, and in most other countries would be a test player.

Interested to know what the story is with Aaron Conneely – he made 12 starts for the Irish U20s and played in four U20 tournaments between 2011-12, and was a significantly talented openside at underage level. He's listed as Year 3 of the Connacht Academy, but he hasn't played in the Pro12 this season. I think he needs to be given a bit of a push selection wise [if he's fit], because Jonny O'Connor can't go on forever and is a bit of a fading force.

He's been playing mainly AIL (Corinthians) and for our A's in the B&I. Keep an eye out for him next season though, should be a straight shoot-out between himself and Faloon (who injury apart has been an outstanding signing)....
Only a man who knows what it is like to be defeated can reach down to the bottom of his soul and come up with the extra ounce of power it takes to win when the match is even. Muhammad Ali
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

ratpack wrote:
Oldschool wrote:I'm open to correction but most NZ signings have worked out pretty well for whichever province they've signed for.
Clinton Huppert, Mike Storey, Bryce Williams, Christian Cullen, Nick Williams all excepted then...
... Clint Newland
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

TerenureJim wrote:
ratpack wrote:
... Clint Newland
Jeremy Manning, Clint Newland
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Wow. How the f%~k did they manage that? Clarke is a great signing.

I don't particularly like Connacht. But I hope guys like Clarke change some of the mindset there. He's not coming here to thrash Leinster one week, then get thrashed in Wales a next week.

I don't think Conacht will be offering him HEC rugby though
bamboozle
Bookworm

Post by bamboozle »

TerenureJim wrote:
ratpack wrote:
... Clint Newland
i see your Clint Newland and raise you...Tony Goldfinch....worst Kiwi signing ever, was playing blackrock 2nds once coaches realised his level.