Toulon / Clermont

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Donny B.
Devin Toner

Re: Toulon / Clermont

Post by Donny B. »

sid wrote:Wow, Toulouse are a bad team.
Yep, they are, a real shadow of themselves. Ultimately none of the foreign signings like McAlister, Burgess and Steenkamp really brought them back to the level they had before.
VGE
Graduate

Post by VGE »

Schumi wrote:Have to laugh at Armitage getting booed. Has he done something in this match or is that just par for the course?
Many ASM supporters in Nantes, maybe As much than last saturday in Dublin :mrgreen:

Toulouse played them badest 2nd half of the last twenty years.

Au revoir.
Last edited by VGE on May 24th, 2013, 10:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
(...) je souhaite que la Providence veille sur la France, pour son bonheur, pour son bien et pour sa grandeur. Au revoir !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9PjBgWO ... ata_player
VGE
Graduate

Post by VGE »

Donny B. wrote:Ah f**k, not that c**t again!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SL4fAGbd ... ata_player

Au revoir.
(...) je souhaite que la Providence veille sur la France, pour son bonheur, pour son bien et pour sa grandeur. Au revoir !
VGE
Graduate

Post by VGE »

i got my tickets for Castres/RCT next week.

Au revoir.
VGE
Graduate

Post by VGE »

Half time ASM Castres 3/12

Au revoir.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Very disappointing end to the season for Clermont. Losing 25-9 to Castres.

Fix the coach, and fix the 10, and they should be unstoppable.
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

Well, they already signed Mike Delaney as their outhalf so they won't be signing anyone else to compete with Brock. Clermont's main issue is in their minds. They simply do not know how to win when it's really needed. The closer they came to silverware this season, the more they fell to pieces.

They're in a precarious position with regards to the age profile of their squad. This season will have been a hammer blow to a lot of them. I'm not sure the older guys will have the enthusiasm to pick themselves up, dust themselves down and do it all again to the same standard next season. Four lads in their first choice pack will be 34, 35, 35 and 37 next season. Byrne and Rougerie both 33. It's a huge challenge to the coaching staff to pick them up after this and have them refocus.
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

Bah.
Last edited by ceemec on May 26th, 2013, 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
simonno6
Rhys Ruddock

Post by simonno6 »

Logorrhea wrote:Very disappointing end to the season for Clermont. Losing 25-9 to Castres.

Fix the coach, and fix the 10, and they should be unstoppable.
If only they'd signed Jonny!!

Could have easily seen a Clermont / Toulouse final but would never have imagined Castres having a hope of reaching it!
Saturday 23rd May 2009 - Number 1
Saturday 21st May 2011 - Brace
Saturday 19th May 2012 - Hatrick!
simonno6
Rhys Ruddock

Post by simonno6 »

Vamos los azules wrote:
simonno6 wrote: How can it mean as much to these guys when you have teams like Leinster, Munster, Ulster, Leicester et al that basically grow up with each other to carve out winning teams. That's part of the magic.
A curious game of odd one out?

You might want to reconsider including Leicester in that list alongside the provinces. I think Dan Cole is their only born and bred Leicester boy in the starting 15 for tomorrow's Premiership final, and less than half the team came through the Tigers academy at different stages so there was no growing up together. They do have a very strong club culture though which attracts a certain type of player and probably makes building a squad easier than if you are just throwing money out there to attract the best in each position, Toulon style.
That club culture was developed early on, and was ever present during the 2001/02 H-Cup winning campaigns. I was referring to that aspect of their history more than the current day. Granted, sport moves on from initial traditions (look at the amount of English players playing in the football Premiership now compared to the 92/93 season) but you have to admire teams who have such dominance pooled together from a local talent base.
Saturday 23rd May 2009 - Number 1
Saturday 21st May 2011 - Brace
Saturday 19th May 2012 - Hatrick!
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

VGE wrote:i got my tickets for Castres/RCT next week.

Au revoir.
Looks like you expected Clermont to lose the game.
VGE
Graduate

Post by VGE »

nc6000 wrote:
VGE wrote:i got my tickets for Castres/RCT next week.

Au revoir.
Looks like you expected Clermont to lose the game.

Many of us thought that the loser of the HCup final would not qualify for the Top 14 final. It's desappointing but predictable.

Otherwise, what did Toulon (winning the HCup and qualifying against Toulouse 6 days later) is amazing.

Au revoir.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Cotter saying next season will be his last (according to AFP feed)
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Hes lucky to be given that
Leoslovechild
Mullet

Post by Leoslovechild »

ceemec wrote:Well, they already signed Mike Delaney as their outhalf so they won't be signing anyone else to compete with Brock. Clermont's main issue is in their minds. They simply do not know how to win when it's really needed. The closer they came to silverware this season, the more they fell to pieces.

They're in a precarious position with regards to the age profile of their squad. This season will have been a hammer blow to a lot of them. I'm not sure the older guys will have the enthusiasm to pick themselves up, dust themselves down and do it all again to the same standard next season. Four lads in their first choice pack will be 34, 35, 35 and 37 next season. Byrne and Rougerie both 33. It's a huge challenge to the coaching staff to pick them up after this and have them refocus.
Totally agree.People on here have said they are the best team in Europe over the last number of years.I say show me your medals.they bottle it every year so I also believe it is a mental thing with them at this stage
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Cotter having a go at the clubs recruitment plus the Clermont players, especially Brock James.
http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,2588 ... 36,00.html
Dont Panic!
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Dexter wrote:Cotter having a go at the clubs recruitment plus the Clermont players, especially Brock James.
Looking for an early start in the Scotland Job
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

Dexter wrote:Cotter having a go at the clubs recruitment plus the Clermont players, especially Brock James.

The mercurial Brock James that can win or lose you matches on his own with a plethora of examples through just his Clermont days to back this up? Come on Vern you could have dumped in years ago you knew what he was like!!
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

OTT wrote:

The mercurial Brock James that can win or lose you matches on his own with a plethora of examples through just his Clermont days to back this up? Come on Vern you could have dumped in years ago you knew what he was like!!
Here is the thing - Cotter must know James is flackey as he signed Mike Delaney. Shame for him was it was too late for The Heineken Cup.

I know Lesinster made the same mistake years ago but you would think other teams would have learned since then.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

If Clermont had had Sexton at 10 in the final match they would have won it easily IMHO.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am