Lions Abroad on the Old IPad-a-rooney

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Uncle Monty
Beginner

Lions Abroad on the Old IPad-a-rooney

Post by Uncle Monty »

Due to an alarming lack of foresight I seem to be going on holiday by mistake during the Lions tour. I will be in rugby territory in the South of France but there's probably little hope of pubs opening early for the matches, particularly as the French aren't involved.

With this in mind I'm just wondering if anyone could possibly point me in the general direction of a good app/live stream to watch the matches on my Ipad? I understand that Sky Go doesn't work outside of Ireland and due to the ongoing lovers tiff between adobe and apple streaming might be out as well?

Anyway, I would really appreciate any help in the matter if at all possible. Cheers!
Alas I have little more than vintage wine and memories.....
mikerob
Mullet

Re: Lions Abroad on the Old IPad-a-rooney

Post by mikerob »

If you have Sky Go and Sky Sports already, then you can use a VPN service to get around the geo blocking. I've used www.overplay.net before to watch geo blocked services. It is a paid service but it works reliably, unlike public proxies, and you can sign up for a month then cancel. You only need the DNS service, not the full VPN, and it works on iPads, mobiles, PC, Mac etc. etc.
fungalboy
Graduate

Post by fungalboy »

Snap!

Would love some advice on this. I have an iPad and Sky Go but will be in France. Any suggestions?
"They play a running game, we play a running game..." Sky Sports Two 23/1/06
"There is only one Girve the Swerve..." Sky Sports Two 31/3/06
"What disappointment? We did everything we could do tonight..." Newstalk 106 26/5/06
fungalboy
Graduate

Post by fungalboy »

Just spotter reply, thanks. will check it out.
"They play a running game, we play a running game..." Sky Sports Two 23/1/06
"There is only one Girve the Swerve..." Sky Sports Two 31/3/06
"What disappointment? We did everything we could do tonight..." Newstalk 106 26/5/06
Uncle Monty
Beginner

Post by Uncle Monty »

That's brilliant mikerob, I'll have a gander at that! Cheers!

Enjoy France fungalboy!
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

Uncle Monty wrote: I will be in rugby territory in the South of France but there's probably little hope of pubs opening early for the matches, particularly as the French aren't involved.
On June 22nd France will play New Zealand early in the morning so there might be somewhere open for the opening Lions test which kicks off just afterwards.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

Surely there'll be an Irish pub to sort you out...
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
mikerob
Mullet

Post by mikerob »

Uncle Monty wrote:That's brilliant mikerob, I'll have a gander at that! Cheers!

Enjoy France fungalboy!
You should be able to test that it works before you go by checking if it allows you to watch some other geo blocked services like BBC iPlayer.

The DNS service costs $4.95 month but you just need to remember to cancel within the month.

You need to be an existing subscriber to Sky Sports otherwise you will need to find a dodgy stream from somewhere.
Uncle Monty
Beginner

Post by Uncle Monty »

Cheers again mikerob. I have the Sky sports package so that's all good. $4.95 is very reasonable if I get to watch 3 Lions matches!

Darce, a few tie-straighteners in an Irish pub is obviously preferable but I want to be prepared!

Good call Broken Wing....will be in Paris for that leg of the journey so that could definitely be an option as well!
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

Good lad Monty
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
darkside lighteside
Graduate

Post by darkside lighteside »

The one note of caution I would add about Overplay is that while it's generally very effective, the one exception can be when you are using hotel wifi networks - sometimes they are set up to filter overplay-like services.. I've been trekking about the world for the last couple of months, and while I was in Asia, I'd say at maybe half the hotels, it didn't work... Since I've been back in Europe it's generally been fine (including along the south of France, as it happens) but for example yesterday in Barcelona once again it didn't work...

At $5 a month it's probably worth a shot, but it's not absolutely nailed-on..
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

The tests are all on at 11am Irish time so noon French time. You've a good shot at finding some places open at that time showing the game.
Uncle Monty
Beginner

Post by Uncle Monty »

Cheers for the heads up Darkside Lighteside. We're staying in a Keycamp so I'm hoping that their internet providings won't be as stringent as some of the larger hotels. I'll test it as soon as I get there and if it's a no go I'll just have to hunt for an appropriate establishment that'll suit my requirements!

Once again thanks for all the advice folks. It'll be a case of belts, braces and maybe even a little baler twine to be sure of success!
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

mikerob wrote:If you have Sky Go and Sky Sports already, then you can use a VPN service to get around the geo blocking. I've used http://www.overplay.net before to watch geo blocked services. It is a paid service but it works reliably, unlike public proxies, and you can sign up for a month then cancel. You only need the DNS service, not the full VPN, and it works on iPads, mobiles, PC, Mac etc. etc.
Can I ask an idiot question please, I will be using this next week while on holidays - should I select the server where I will be (France) or the server where I want the internet to think I am (Ireland)

Ta very muchly...
Last edited by Slipper1 on June 30th, 2013, 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Get in the f%~king bag.
BigL
Learner

Post by BigL »

Uncle Monty wrote:Due to an alarming lack of foresight I seem to be going on holiday by mistake during the Lions tour. I will be in rugby territory in the South of France but there's probably little hope of pubs opening early for the matches, particularly as the French aren't involved.

With this in mind I'm just wondering if anyone could possibly point me in the general direction of a good app/live stream to watch the matches on my Ipad? I understand that Sky Go doesn't work outside of Ireland and due to the ongoing lovers tiff between adobe and apple streaming might be out as well?

Anyway, I would really appreciate any help in the matter if at all possible. Cheers!

Just back from hols and had the same problem. As an alternative to the solution previously provided, I discovered an app called iSwifter - there is a 10 minute daily free trial but after that you must buy the app for 6 or 7 euro. When you copy the URL from a site that is providing live streaming in flash, then paste this URL into iSwifter, iSwifter will then play it on your iPad-a-Rooney. It converts the flash to a format that is friendly for iPads.

It worked perfectly for me (aside from the occasional picture freeze that happens with the sites that stream the games).

The usual sites that stream the games worked for me (pm me if you need them).

Try the free trial to test it before you buy.
meinster
Rhys Ruddock

Post by meinster »

Slipper1 wrote:should I select the server where I will be (France) or the server where I want the internet to think I am (Ireland)
The latter.

E.g.: Your iPad > Hotel WiFi > French ISP > Overplay (various locations) > Overplay Ireland > RTÉ .... RTÉ only see the last bit and, therefore think you are in Ireland.
"You'd better watch who you're calling a child, Lois. Because if I'm a child, you know what that makes you? A paedophile. And I'll be damned if I'm gonna be lectured by a pervert"
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

meinster wrote:
Slipper1 wrote:should I select the server where I will be (France) or the server where I want the internet to think I am (Ireland)
The latter.

E.g.: Your iPad > Hotel WiFi > French ISP > Overplay (various locations) > Overplay Ireland > RTÉ .... RTÉ only see the last bit and, therefore think you are in Ireland.
Thanks
Get in the f%~king bag.
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

darkside lighteside wrote:The one note of caution I would add about Overplay is that while it's generally very effective, the one exception can be when you are using hotel wifi networks - sometimes they are set up to filter overplay-like services.. I've been trekking about the world for the last couple of months, and while I was in Asia, I'd say at maybe half the hotels, it didn't work... Since I've been back in Europe it's generally been fine (including along the south of France, as it happens) but for example yesterday in Barcelona once again it didn't work...

At $5 a month it's probably worth a shot, but it's not absolutely nailed-on..
Doesn't work in my campsite unfortunately. A little mad, but I'll get over it.
Get in the f%~king bag.
Alternative Ulster
Graduate

Post by Alternative Ulster »

Looks like iSwifter is your only option then. (Or the pub)