Munster 2013/2014

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Topdawg
Learner

Munster 2013/2014

Post by Topdawg »

Rob penney's 2nd yr in charge, better understanding of his gameplan by the players over pre season talk of a utility back signing rumours of Tom Marshall , but with ROG and Howlett leaving how does everyone think they will fare ??
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Re: Munster 2013/2014

Post by offshorerules »

Hard to tell I think. Probably over-achieved in the HEC and their place in the leagus is probably a fair reflection of where they stand. But some of their players coming through look good and if they get a good draw they should qualify for the knockout stages again this year. Hope for their sakes that their league form improves too. It could all possibly hinge though on POC returning from the Lions fit. There were two Munster sides this year. The one with O'Connell in it wasn't that bad but the one without him was terrible.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Possible First String Lineup:

1. Dave Kilcoyne(24)
2. Mike Sherry(25)
3. BJ Botha(33)
4. Donnacha Ryan(29)
5. Paul O'Connell(33)
6. Peter O'Mahony(23)
7. Tommy O'Donnell(26)
8. James Coughlan(32)
9. Conor Murray(24)
10. Ian Keatley(26)
11. Simon Zebo(23)
12. James Downey(31)
13. Casey Laulala(31)
14. Keith Earls(25)
15. Felix Jones(26)
16. Damien Varley(29)
17. James Cronin(22)
18. Stephen Archer(25)
19. Donnacha O'Callaghan(34)
20. CJ Stander(23)
21. Cathal Sheridan(24)
22. JJ Hanrahan(21)
23. Andrew Conway(22)

Pack looks strong enough, although Botha is becoming less reliable and Coughlan is getting old.
Can POC stay injury free?
Not a lot of depth at LH but Cronin is highly rated.
A good few options at backrow with Ronan, DOC II, Dougal and Butler.
Would be worried about replacement when Murray is not around, Sheridan and Williams aren't very good.
Keatley deserves a full shot and should be around all season for them, with Hanrahan in reserve.
Centre's are okay, Downey is one-dimensional but I guess we might see more of Hanrahan there aswell.
Casey L is a good player when he is on form, they need guys working off his offloading.
Back 3 is pretty good.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

I'd say Munster underachieved in the league. They could have gone to plan B but used plan A throughout the league season. The players are still getting to grips with the Canterbury way and I'd say with a good pre season behind them the play should be a bit better next season.

I think Keatley and JJ Hanrahan will give Munster an extra attacking dimension that they lacked this season. The ability to run means the opposition defenses will have another area to cover which means more space for the attack.

Some players to come in or back include Dave OC, Luke O'Dea, John Ryan, Conway, Hanrahan, Bohane, James Cronin, Niall Scannell and CJ Stander. Outgoing players are ROG, Howlett, Du Preez, Deasy, Condon, Sean Henry, Barnes and Horan. ROG, Howlett and Du Preez aside, it looks a stronger and younger squad for next season. ROG has been replace by Hanrahan, Du Preez by James Cronin/John Ryan and Howlett by Conway/O'Dea.

If some of the new players like Bohane, Conway, Hanrahan, J Ryan, J Cronin, Stander etc step up this season the squad will be looking really strong.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

dropkick wrote:I'd say Munster underachieved in the league. They could have gone to plan B but used plan A throughout the league season. The players are still getting to grips with the Canterbury way and I'd say with a good pre season behind them the play should be a bit better next season.

I think Keatley and JJ Hanrahan will give Munster an extra attacking dimension that they lacked this season. The ability to run means the opposition defenses will have another area to cover which means more space for the attack.

Some players to come in or back include Dave OC, Luke O'Dea, John Ryan, Conway, Hanrahan, Bohane, James Cronin, Niall Scannell and CJ Stander. Outgoing players are ROG, Howlett, Du Preez, Deasy, Condon, Sean Henry, Barnes and Horan. ROG, Howlett and Du Preez aside, it looks a stronger and younger squad for next season. ROG has been replace by Hanrahan, Du Preez by James Cronin/John Ryan and Howlett by Conway/O'Dea.

If some of the new players like Bohane, Conway, Hanrahan, J Ryan, J Cronin, Stander etc step up this season the squad will be looking really strong.
How is the feeling about Stander down south?
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

IMO a key factor for Munster in the league will be whether Joe uses Killer, Archer, DOC, Earls, TOD for Ireland (squads)

huge difference between losing 5 players from HC team to losing 10 for the league

Jones, Conway, Laulala, Downey, Earls, Keatley, Sheridan, Killer, Sherry, Botha, DOC, Holland, Stander, TOD, Coughlan
Varley, Cronin, Archer, Nagle, Butler, Williams, JJ, LOD
a pretty decent league team
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Topdawg
Learner

Post by Topdawg »

Will there be a signing yet ???
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by enby »

Decent pack but very very thin in the backs especially at out half and centre. Is it just me or is Felix Jones overrated? Not much cover at 9 or second row.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Peg Leg wrote: How is the feeling about Stander down south?
I've not seen too much of him yet. He is not a massive man but very fast. In terms of scoring tries he'll get many. In terms of doing the nitty gritty the jury is still out on him.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

enby wrote:Decent pack but very very thin in the backs especially at out half and centre. Is it just me or is Felix Jones overrated? Not much cover at 9 or second row.
Holland, Nagle, Foley, DOC IMO cover second row well
12 a problem position alright, JJ could play there but that doesnt help 10 cover
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

Quite decent first team named above, but the quality of the bench really shows a lack of depth in their squad, which would explain why they struggle so much to compete in the league / on two fronts.

I think Munster may still be in "transition" for another while, a lot of good players, some very good players, but none of absolute class imo. Obviously the exception being POC.

I think they'll do ok, but I honestly can't see them being in the hunt for honors come the business end of the season. The loss of two of their biggest leaders in ROG and Howlett will change things a bit, but dare I say it, perhaps freshen things up, with guys like Keatley, Hanrahan, Jones and now Conway probably seeing a lot of first team action and in the big games, maybe it should have happened a long time ago. Especially in the case of Keatley, who has shown a lot of promise, but still definitely unproven at the very top European level where Munster want to be. Massive season for him.

Their group draw is critical again this season to keep top ranking in Europe. If they lose that they're in serious trouble.
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Is seeding really that important? It helps now because Clermont have climbed to the top table. It's no guarantee of an easy draw though.

One of the issues with Munster's depth is that they tend to run very large squads but they do that by keeping a lot of guys hanging around. Maybe there's an element of the Cork-Limerick thing, probably a small factor though.

The mentality of waiting your turn to own the jersey meant that there were a lot of guys rotting in the wings. In Leinster we have a slightly smaller squad but 11 out of 23 in the Academy (+Adam Byrne) have been capped at senior level).
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Is seeding really that important? It helps now because Clermont have climbed to the top table. It's no guarantee of an easy draw though.

One of the issues with Munster's depth is that they tend to run very large squads but they do that by keeping a lot of guys hanging around. Maybe there's an element of the Cork-Limerick thing, probably a small factor though.

The mentality of waiting your turn to own the jersey meant that there were a lot of guys rotting in the wings. In Leinster we have a slightly smaller squad but 11 out of 23 in the Academy (+Adam Byrne) have been capped at senior level).
Alternative Ulster
Graduate

Post by Alternative Ulster »

Danny Barnes signed for Newcastle.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/22766481
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

simonokeeffe wrote:
enby wrote:Decent pack but very very thin in the backs especially at out half and centre. Is it just me or is Felix Jones overrated? Not much cover at 9 or second row.
Holland, Nagle, Foley, DOC IMO cover second row well
12 a problem position alright, JJ could play there but that doesnt help 10 cover
Hurley for 12 anyone?
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

ronk wrote:Is seeding really that important? It helps now because Clermont have climbed to the top table. It's no guarantee of an easy draw though.

The fact that you even ask the question says something about the way seeding is calculated. Leinster and Clerment last season made seeding a lot less important than it should have been. There is a very good chance that had we avoided Clerment until the playoffs that we would have got the hat trick.
Therefore seeding doesn't grant the advantage it should. For example a better system might be to give the finalists of each of the domestic competitions top seeding for the following HEC season. This would be fairer as there is both a league and playoff aspect to the HEC.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

I think it's a quality issue though. You can have as many players in your squad as you like, but 20+ average players will get you nowhere.

Regarding the seedings, obviously Clermont are the exception, and we got riddled with meeting them, but when the draw was made last season, Saracens and Clermont remained from tier two and only Leinster and Munsters groups were left, so it was a 50/50 shot, and we got Clermont. Had it been the other way around, it could have been a very different season for both of us, but thems the breaks, there'll always be an up and comer in the lower tiers, but for the most part, yes, being a top seed helps as you can't draw Clermont, Toulon, Toulouse, Leinster, Ulster or Munster (depending on where you're from), but if you drop down to tier 2, you are guarenteed on of those teams, so already in a dog fight to get out of the group. Throw in Ospreys as 3rd seeds and Racing as 4th and good luck, you need escape skills of Leinster proportions to get out of that one! (like when we had Clermont, Racing and Saracens in 2011, then Leicester, Toulouse and Northampton in the knockouts!)
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/rugb ... 33515.html

And they're selling off land in Cork to pay for developing MP?
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Doesn't sound too insurmountable. 1 or 2 full houses from breaking even? He said something similar last season about a home Rabo semi being potentially the most financially lucrative prize of the season.
How much does keeping Musgrave open cost Munster rugby?
What would be the ramifications if they closed it?
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

ceemec wrote:http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/rugb ... 33515.html

And they're selling off land in Cork to pay for developing MP?
You're surprised?
I have Bumbleflex