New Global Season?

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Donny B.
Devin Toner

New Global Season?

Post by Donny B. »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/ju ... ason-plans

Premiership Rugby has backed proposals for an integrated global season that have been tabled by the International Rugby Players' Association.

The IRPA wants the northern hemisphere season to start a month later and run from October to June, with summer international tours to take place in the last three weeks of July. The proposal would come into force for the 2015-16 season, following the Rugby World Cup in England, and is understood to have the support of Premiership clubs.

The IRPA states that the 2017 British & Irish Lions tour to New Zealand would benefit from its plan because the Super Rugby season would be over, allowing the provinces to field stronger teams for the tour matches. The southern hemisphere unions, the RaboDirect PRO12, the French Top 14, the Six Nations and the International Rugby Board are now being urged to consider the proposal.

Richie McCaw described the plan as "a game-changer for professional rugby" and the sentiments of New Zealand's World Cup-winning captain were endorsed by the Ireland and Lions fly-half Jonny Sexton.

"We see this initiative as beneficial for the global game" Sexton said. "From a player perspective, we urge our leaders to get in a room together, take a positive attitude and see what can be done."

The September-October window for the World Cup means that midweek Premiership matches in the 2015-16 season have already been mooted as a possibility, which raises concerns within the IRPA over player welfare.

The IRPA chairman, Damian Hopley, said: "We're in a unique position. For the first time since rugby went professional, the major northern and southern hemisphere competition and commercial structures are on the table at the same time. This is the ideal time to seriously consider change that will secure player welfare initiatives."
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Re: New Global Season?

Post by JB1973 »

seems logical with the cash involved more and more players will end up in france, we want our sides touring with their best teams and we should see some play off rugby in the sun.

I'm for it
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

a downside I can see is the H Cup pool games all played in the depths of winter then
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

simonokeeffe wrote:a downside I can see is the H Cup pool games all played in the depths of winter then
Would be interesting to know if they mean to move everything a month forward as in November internationals in December, Six Nations start in March etc. etc. Or more likely will they want to keep the international dates set in stone and adjust the club game around them? In that case it's hard to see the French agreeing with it especially as their club season runs from last August to early June as it is.
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

The 6 nations should stay as they are, people are used to planning their trips around there and it's a fixed part of the sporting calendar and seems to work well for broadcasters etc.

I would expect the club game to be the one that is moved, how that fits in with the various competitions remains to be see.
However I wouldn't expect to see the HC group stages split into 3 games of 2 , maybe a full run of 6 games in early autumn and then the AI games and then we finish the HC and then we have the 6 nations and then then play the domestic games after the 6 nations so we can keep the play offs at pretty much the same time that should keep the French happy?
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

simonokeeffe wrote:a downside I can see is the H Cup pool games all played in the depths of winter then
Assuming there still is a HEC.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

As an osprey fan that doesn't bother me, we never make it past January anymore ! :D
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

Just move everything a month forward, would work out fine.

I actually think it's a brilliant idea. Imagine a Heineken Cup final in Rome in June? The dream!

But it would be great for several reasons, not least making things like "proper" tours possible (playing regional teams etc) as well as making inter-hempisphere competitions possible, i.e. a World Club Championship at the begining / end of each season or something.
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

Would there be any potential here for a world club final? Winners of the Heineken vs winners of the S15?
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Donny B. wrote:
Would be interesting to know if they mean to move everything a month forward as in November internationals in December, Six Nations start in March etc. etc. Or more likely will they want to keep the international dates set in stone and adjust the club game around them? In that case it's hard to see the French agreeing with it especially as their club season runs from last August to early June as it is.
when have the french ever agreed with anything?

one would assume November internationals stay there as end of SH season and december a bad time to get people buying tickets etc
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
FrankBurke
Mullet

Post by FrankBurke »

Sponsors & TV will decide shape of the season.