Scottush Rugby 2013/2014

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Re: Scottush Rugby 2013/2014

Post by johng »

tigerburnie wrote:The Scots pack was only just ok in the scrums last week, tidy in the lineout and good with ball in hand going forward,Denton in particular. But apart from Strokosh, they didn't compete in the rucks and mauls that well against Japan and I would expect the Boks to turn them over with ease up front. The Scots backs got a bit lateral at times and struggled with the quick line speed and tackling. Again I would expect the Boks to better still at this, I fear the Scots may lose this one.
:lol:
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

that was one of the least effective displays of attacking rugby by an international side ever

the scots were awful today, SJ a world class attack coach? not on that performance
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

JB1973 wrote:that was one of the least effective displays of attacking rugby by an international side ever

the scots were awful today, SJ a world class attack coach? not on that performance
The Nematode worms played well
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

better display but your not going to beat the best sides if you can't score tries. ps how good is folau?
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Shocking display from the backs offensively. Abysmal. Actually it was pathetic. It was kind of a joke. They couldn't string two passes together for most of it. How do you square that with the quality of some of Glasgow's play the past two seasons or so?

Scott Johnson is a bit of a charlatan, I think we all have to say. Robbo's Scotland teams were hard to watch and even he was squirming while having to commentate on that shite.

They'll probably end up having a stormer of a 6N just for spite.
tigerburnie
Enlightened

Post by tigerburnie »

Embra are playing Gloucester on a friday night soon, if I can get away from work early I might pop down for a look.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Theyve good back 3 players but need Weir at 10 regularly (or heathcote) and to play Mark Bennet and maybe Evans in centre

DeLuca is greatest spoofer at international level since Franno
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

Pro 13 anyone?

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/26616760

Sponsor keen for new Pro12 rugby team in Aberdeen

A major sports sponsor says it would like to back the creation of a third Pro12 rugby team for Scotland - based in its home town of Aberdeen.
Aberdeen Asset Management already sponsors major events like sailing's Cowes Week and the Scottish Open golf.
"I'd love to see a rugby team there of the calibre of Edinburgh or Glasgow, a professional team," chief executive Martin Gilbert told BBC Scotland.

"Because I think, in rugby, Scotland still needs more professional teams."
The Scottish Rugby Union disbanded the Border Reivers in 2007 in order to concentrate funds on Edinburgh and Glasgow Warriors.
But the future of the game in the country has again come into focus with the international team once more finishing second bottom of the Six Nations table and ending their campaign with a record defeat in Wales.
Ahead of the 51-3 defeat in Cardiff, former England captain Lewis Moody warned that Scotland, presently ranked 10th in the world, could disappear as a rugby force because it only has two professional sides from which to pick its players.
The city of Aberdeen showed its capability to support its football team on Sunday, when more than 40,000 fans turned out to watch Derek McInnes's side beat Inverness Caledonian Thistle in the Scottish League Cup final in Glasgow.
Gilbert, whose company has sponsored Edinburgh in the past, thinks the north-east would also give its backing to a Pro12 rugby team.
"I think it would be supported up there because you'd get everywhere north of Dundee supportive of that sort of strategy," he said.
"It would be great and we would love to be involved in something like that.
"I think we do need to do something pretty radical.
"We've sponsored Edinburgh and we'd love to have a professional set-up in the north east."
Gilbert's company was Edinburgh's sponsor from 2008 until 2013, when it was outbid by BT Sport.
As well as sailing and golf events, Aberdeen Asset Management, an international investment management group with offices around the world, sponsors racing driver Paul Di Resta, Scottish Hockey, golfers Paul Lawrie and Catriona Matthew, plus ski schools.
Gilbert admits he has not been party to any discussions with the SRU about establishing a professional rugby team in Aberdeen.
However, the chief executive fears that the governing body might instead drop one of the two present professional teams because of tightening finances.
"My worry is they'll go the other way and cut even more," he said.

A Scottish Rugby spokesman suggested it would like to create a third team - but only if there was sufficient funding.
"We welcome any dialogue with any individual/s that would enable us to expand our investment in professional teams," he said in a statement.

"Clearly, at present, there would be a number of hurdles that we would have to surmount, including financial and other considerations, to increase from our existing two professional teams."
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

It'd be great to see the SRU think outside the box and develop a 3 and even 4th team. I can't see why they wouldn't even do a feasibility study on restoring the Borders and also perhaps then a "Highlanders" team based out of Inverness/Aberdeen.

Things are very, very bleak in Scottish rugby and they deserved the wooden spoon this season. A radical re-think is required, they are where we were in the 1990's. Front line players like Gray and Brown need to be brought home and regional professional academy structures should be established to take the best and most promising players from schools, amateur club, universities, exiles and 7's game and turn them into professional rugby players with aspirations to international caps.

If the IRFU could do it I see no reason why the Scots can't. Yes they're behind the line but realistically we're not that long into pro rugby and they have time to catch up.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

TerenureJim wrote:It'd be great to see the SRU think outside the box and develop a 3 and even 4th team. I can't see why they wouldn't even do a feasibility study on restoring the Borders and also perhaps then a "Highlanders" team based out of Inverness/Aberdeen.

Things are very, very bleak in Scottish rugby and they deserved the wooden spoon this season. A radical re-think is required, they are where we were in the 1990's. Front line players like Gray and Brown need to be brought home and regional professional academy structures should be established to take the best and most promising players from schools, amateur club, universities, exiles and 7's game and turn them into professional rugby players with aspirations to international caps.

If the IRFU could do it I see no reason why the Scots can't. Yes they're behind the line but realistically we're not that long into pro rugby and they have time to catch up.
I cant see SRFU unf****** themselves enough to get it through
True to stereotypes they seem to be more concerned with making sure they dont lose any money and are happy for all the big players to head overseas regardless of knock on effect on regional success and attendence
Bear in mind it took an outbreak of worms to get them to move Edinburgh out of Murrayfield
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

I'm sure you're right Simon, just makes me sad for the game in general to see the game dying on it's feet up there when there are successful templates which could be used to fix it in a relatively short time.

How alarm bells aren't ringing when English journalists are writing about bringing in the likes of Georgia/Spain/Romania etc. into the 6N in place of Scotland. Granted that's pie in the sky nonsense but to even have it being written about is shocking when you think of the history of Scottish rugby and it's place in the world in terms of the Calcutta Cup being the oldest match etc.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

TerenureJim wrote:I'm sure you're right Simon, just makes me sad for the game in general to see the game dying on it's feet up there when there are successful templates which could be used to fix it in a relatively short time.

How alarm bells aren't ringing when English journalists are writing about bringing in the likes of Georgia/Spain/Romania etc. into the 6N in place of Scotland. Granted that's pie in the sky nonsense but to even have it being written about is shocking when you think of the history of Scottish rugby and it's place in the world in terms of the Calcutta Cup being the oldest match etc.
shows how lucky we were that 4 Irish kings sorted out some cr@p over who stole whose cattle thousands of years ago to leave us with ready made template
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

TerenureJim wrote:I'm sure you're right Simon, just makes me sad for the game in general to see the game dying on it's feet up there when there are successful templates which could be used to fix it in a relatively short time.

Might be pie in the sky stuff now but if those countries start playing in the new version of the Amlin at some stage and Scottish rugby continues to implode then it may not be. I suspect that in 10/15 years time there'll be a strong case for relegation and promotion between the 6 Nations and a revised Nations Cup.

To be honest I have more confidence in some of those emerging countries improving than Scotland getting their house in order. In fact it could be a self fulfilling prophecy because if the players that Scotland lose to England and France begin to be replaced by Georgians, Russians etc then.....
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:

Might be pie in the sky stuff now but if those countries start playing in the new version of the Amlin at some stage and Scottish rugby continues to implode then it may not be. I suspect that in 10/15 years time there'll be a strong case for relegation and promotion between the 6 Nations and a revised Nations Cup.

To be honest I have more confidence in some of those emerging countries improving than Scotland getting their house in order. In fact it could be a self fulfilling prophecy because if the players that Scotland lose to England and France begin to be replaced by Georgians, Russians etc then.....
when are georgia going to bring the same commercial clout as Scotland though? away fans etc?
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Potentially never but as I said I'm thinking of 10/15 years into the future when the possibility would actually be brought to the table, probably 20 years before any changes would actually be made. Who knows what the rugby landscape in Europe will look like then? I would hope that rugby will have grown in at least one of the aforementioned countries by that time. That's just a hope but I'd be a bit more certain that as things stand Scottish rugby will continue to decline.

Cotter may well be able to improve the national team. He's a good coach and they've some good players. However, even if he does, I think the future of that team is built on quicksand given the state of the club game. Unless major improvements/changes are made then I think that rugby in Scotland is going the same way as football.
tigerburnie
Enlightened

Post by tigerburnie »

I read somewhere that more Scots play Cricket than Rugby, which surprised me, but there's a thriving club scene going on up here, just not supported well by the public(they are all watching some pretty mediocre soccer instead).
Made Of Ale
Graduate

Post by Made Of Ale »

Greg Laidlaw needs a rest. I suppose there may be something else going on behind the scenes, otherwise it seems a bit strange.

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,2588 ... 05,00.html
Vamos los azules
Mullet

Post by Vamos los azules »

Made Of Ale wrote:Greg Laidlaw needs a rest. I suppose there may be something else going on behind the scenes, otherwise it seems a bit strange.

The SRU did similar with a few players last time before the World Cup so it isn't unprecedented.

It is slightly strange to give him a break now and say he'll be back to play for Edinburgh before he leaves at the end of the season though. Particularly given that he'll have time between when Edinburgh finish their league matches and Scotland go on their summer tour.
"You can’t defend like the boss one week and the cookie man the next".
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Vamos los azules wrote:
Made Of Ale wrote:Greg Laidlaw needs a rest. I suppose there may be something else going on behind the scenes, otherwise it seems a bit strange.

The SRU did similar with a few players last time before the World Cup so it isn't unprecedented.

It is slightly strange to give him a break now and say he'll be back to play for Edinburgh before he leaves at the end of the season though. Particularly given that he'll have time between when Edinburgh finish their league matches and Scotland go on their summer tour.
Edinburgh finished their league matches in 2010