Rabo pull the plug

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

jordanracer
Knowledgeable

Re: Rabo pull the plug

Post by jordanracer »

I agree with DC here, I would suggest also that the likelihood of the Unions (who are the pro12 after all) signing up with BT is zero, considering BT's relationship with PRL and all the trouble that is causing with the uncertainty over the future of the HC and the pro12 itself.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

jordanracer wrote:I agree with DC here, I would suggest also that the likelihood of the Unions (who are the pro12 after all) signing up with BT is zero, considering BT's relationship with PRL and all the trouble that is causing with the uncertainty over the future of the HC and the pro12 itself.
+1
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

There are several potential sponsors in talks, a deal will be done but don't expect to hear who it is until after this years grand final as it is still the Rabo PRO12 until after then
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

rooster wrote:There are several potential sponsors in talks, a deal will be done but don't expect to hear who it is until after this years grand final as it is still the Rabo PRO12 until after then
The deal with RaboDirect was announced before the deal with Magners ended so I would not necessarily expect that to be a factor
Four Stars
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

Lar wrote:
rooster wrote:There are several potential sponsors in talks, a deal will be done but don't expect to hear who it is until after this years grand final as it is still the Rabo PRO12 until after then
The deal with RaboDirect was announced before the deal with Magners ended so I would not necessarily expect that to be a factor
Both ways have some logic behind them. Would hope that they would at least let us know that there is a deal if not with which company.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Well we deffo won't hear much until we know how many teams are in it.

Not sure too many would be up for a pro 6 or a pro 8
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Fireworks wrote:
Lar wrote:
Both ways have some logic behind them. Would hope that they would at least let us know that there is a deal if not with which company.
It's also possible that Rabo have a clause in the contract that prevents any new sponsor being named before the Rabo final.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

johng wrote:Well we deffo won't hear much until we know how many teams are in it.

Not sure too many would be up for a pro 6 or a pro 8
Bring back the inter-pros!

Tony Ward would love it!
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

http://www.benettonrugby.it/novita.aspx?idC=3144
Google translate version
Benetton Rugby, in the light of the international situation that sees further prolong the decisions, and in the absence of certainty about future forms of organization, participation and regulations relating to the RaboDirect PRO12 League, believes concluded - to its natural end (30/06/2014) - the commitment of the 23/10/2009 to participate in this championship.

Benetton Rugby, right now is willing to consider, and possibly participate in any future notice and/or race that the FIR intended to promote, once they have been defining the purpose of participation in the RaboDirect PRO12 League, their respective roles, the necessary commitments and regulations.
Last edited by rooster on February 10th, 2014, 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

It made more sense in Italian!
Get in the f%~king bag.
Vamos los azules
Mullet

Post by Vamos los azules »

rooster wrote:http://www.benettonrugby.it/novita.aspx?idC=3144
Google translate version
Benetton Rugby, in the light of the international situation that sees further prolong the decisions, and in the absence of certainty about future forms of organization, participation and regulations relating to the RaboDirect PRO12 League, believes concluded - to its natural end (30/06/2014) - the commitment of the 23/10/2009 to participate in this championship.

Benetton Rugby, right now is willing to consider, and possibly participate in any future notice and/or race that the FIR intended to promote, once they have been defining the purpose of participation in the RaboDirect PRO12 League, their respective roles, the necessary commitments and regulations.
So the gist is that they are gone from the Pro 12 as of 30/06/2014?
"You can’t defend like the boss one week and the cookie man the next".
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Vamos los azules wrote:
rooster wrote:http://www.benettonrugby.it/novita.aspx?idC=3144
Google translate version

So the gist is that they are gone from the Pro 12 as of 30/06/2014?
Well as it stands that is correct as they were only in on a trial with view to becoming full members next season but I guess all this mess with the Welsh has messed things up plus they had to pay a substantial fee to play since the start but I see no reason why if they commit that the fee could not be dropped
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

Just to clarify, despite all the headlines, that statement does not say Treviso are leaving the Pro12. It is merely stating that they are going to consider options for next season after this season has finished.

The problem with this is that there are no other options, and no one in their right mind would consider a Super 8 or Super 6 Italian domestic league to be anywhere near the standard of the Pro12.

If I was a betting man, I would say this is more about the 1million+ fee the Italians have to pay to participate in the Pro12 (which was dumb in the first place), I would imagine removal of that fee would smooth things over. Also note that Zebre are union owned and have given no such signals of wanting to withdraw, whilst Treviso are more in the French mould of being privately owned and funded. I think (and hope) it's just an opportunistic bluff to take advantage of the current European rugby crisis to strengthen their position.

Just in case though, the sooner those tw@ts in the valleys can be sorted out the better. They've completely destabilized the Pro12, lapdogs to the English, carrying out their bidding as the divide and conquer plan B from the English when Plan A didn't work. If the Pro12 collapses, you'd think our unions would be in a very weak and desperate situation when going back to the negotiating table over Europe.
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

IMO if the Pro12 collapses, you'd think the IRB would be hugely concerned over the future of professional rugby in Europe as two professional leagues cannot sustain 6 top level countries and if the six nations collapses the rest of the international game won't be too long following given that very quickly Ireland, Scotland, Italy and Wales would cease to be competitive and cease touring, the Lions (possibly the biggest brand and money spinner in rugby) would cease and you'd be left with France (a shaddow of themselves due to no french players in their league) and England as all there is in the NH and even they would eventually fail as if there's no one to play against (without the international sides from Pro12) there's no money to run international teams.

But sure I guess at least they'll have overseen getting the touring circus of 7's into the Olympics.
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

TerenureJim wrote:IMO if the Pro12 collapses, you'd think the IRB would be hugely concerned over the future of professional rugby in Europe as two professional leagues cannot sustain 6 top level countries and if the six nations collapses the rest of the international game won't be too long following given that very quickly Ireland, Scotland, Italy and Wales would cease to be competitive and cease touring, the Lions (possibly the biggest brand and money spinner in rugby) would cease and you'd be left with France (a shaddow of themselves due to no french players in their league) and England as all there is in the NH and even they would eventually fail as if there's no one to play against (without the international sides from Pro12) there's no money to run international teams.

But sure I guess at least they'll have overseen getting the touring circus of 7's into the Olympics.
The English have always preferred to play with themselves..... :wink:
drive for 5
Munster 6-Leinster 25 H-cup semi Croke
Leinster 30-Munster 0 2009/10 RDS
Munster 15-Leinster 16 2009/10 Thomond
Leinster 16-Munster 6 2009/10 semi RDS
Leinster 13-Munster 9 2010 Lansdowne
Munster 16-Leinster 22 POC kicks DK in head 2013
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

I get the vibe if Italy threaten to pull out of pro12 theyll be thrown under the wheels of the ERC/RCC bus, 6 nations committee to smooth it over perhaps
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

BlueBlue wrote:
TerenureJim wrote:IMO if the Pro12 collapses, you'd think the IRB would be hugely concerned over the future of professional rugby in Europe as two professional leagues cannot sustain 6 top level countries and if the six nations collapses the rest of the international game won't be too long following given that very quickly Ireland, Scotland, Italy and Wales would cease to be competitive and cease touring, the Lions (possibly the biggest brand and money spinner in rugby) would cease and you'd be left with France (a shaddow of themselves due to no french players in their league) and England as all there is in the NH and even they would eventually fail as if there's no one to play against (without the international sides from Pro12) there's no money to run international teams.

The English have always preferred to play with themselves..... :wink:
Sweet chariot, coming for to carry me home!!!!
ratpack
Mullet

Post by ratpack »

I would go so far as to say that there's a sponsor already tied up for the Pro 12 next year. The initial tender went out over 4 months ago, interviews/presentations with several companies were held in London in the latter part of October. Following that and I know that one company has walked away due to the price being sought. Once we get a definite idea on the make up of the league, I expect the regions and the Italians to still be in, then an announcement is likely.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

ratpack wrote:I would go so far as to say that there's a sponsor already tied up for the Pro 12 next year. The initial tender went out over 4 months ago, interviews/presentations with several companies were held in London in the latter part of October. Following that and I know that one company has walked away due to the price being sought. Once we get a definite idea on the make up of the league, I expect the regions and the Italians to still be in, then an announcement is likely.
Theres a Celtic Rugby meeting in London today - I wouldn't be surprised if this was high on the agenda
I have Bumbleflex
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

Dave Cahill wrote:
ratpack wrote:I would go so far as to say that there's a sponsor already tied up for the Pro 12 next year. The initial tender went out over 4 months ago, interviews/presentations with several companies were held in London in the latter part of October. Following that and I know that one company has walked away due to the price being sought. Once we get a definite idea on the make up of the league, I expect the regions and the Italians to still be in, then an announcement is likely.
Theres a Celtic Rugby meeting in London today - I wouldn't be surprised if this was high on the agenda
We will await with interest what comes out of that. Still think they should look to extend the league to a second div with teams from other countries. Let the winner of div 2 play off against bottom of div1 for promotion. Would build the brand and add some spice to the end of season.