'World Cup of Clubs’

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

IanD
Official Mascot

'World Cup of Clubs’

Post by IanD »

Toulon seem to be pushing the envelope here especially as they have been told no already.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/t ... -1.1507181
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
Fireworks
Mullet

Re: 'World Cup of Clubs’

Post by Fireworks »

I think it is a really good idea. There is the problem of finding a meaningful spot in the calender for it. The time the suggested would mean it was played without most of their internationals which would devalue the contest. Also I think you need to schedule it for a time when both teams are playing regular competitive rugby which might be difficult. It would be a bit silly to have the HC champions in the middle of their season and battle hardened playing against a team who are pretty much in preseason mode.

Would love to see Leinster v whoever in Dublin.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

How about Leinster as the Amlin winners playing a team made up of Currie Cup and ITM winners?

Hate this shite.
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

The date they have put on this fiction is a 6N weekend, I think England V France is the following day. This is not for rugby, its for money.
drive for 5
Munster 6-Leinster 25 H-cup semi Croke
Leinster 30-Munster 0 2009/10 RDS
Munster 15-Leinster 16 2009/10 Thomond
Leinster 16-Munster 6 2009/10 semi RDS
Leinster 13-Munster 9 2010 Lansdowne
Munster 16-Leinster 22 POC kicks DK in head 2013
Munsterboy
Mullet

Post by Munsterboy »

BT have probably bought the rights for a million squillion pounds.
We're all red on the inside.
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

anyone else remember the French trialled this in the late 80's? manly and a few kiwi sides were in it, the highlights were shown on itv back in the day (or am I showing my age!) anyhow it won't work unless we get a global season.

Still not to worry when we see the English sides playing the nfl teams it will make everything else seem small fry!
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

duplicate posting
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

JB1973 wrote:anyone else remember the French trialled this in the late 80's? manly and a few kiwi sides were in it, the highlights were shown on itv back in the day (or am I showing my age!) anyhow it won't work unless we get a global season.

Still not to worry when we see the English sides playing the nfl teams it will make everything else seem small fry!

I remember Brive playing the Auckland (Blues) in the late 90's.
Can't find a source...bettter delete that...
Last edited by tones on August 28th, 2013, 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Munster could join the French League, or an expanded English / British league."
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

agen and tolouse were in the one I remember, dubroca the old French captain got kod by some baldy nut case in the tolouse back row! pretty sure tolouse went on to win it.

Rugby league has a world club challenge between the winners of the uk and aussie competiton. Would be interesting to see the HC champs vs the super 15 champs but the fixture lists seem too congested for that to happen :(
VGE
Graduate

Post by VGE »

tones wrote:
JB1973 wrote:anyone else remember the French trialled this in the late 80's? manly and a few kiwi sides were in it, the highlights were shown on itv back in the day (or am I showing my age!) anyhow it won't work unless we get a global season.

I remember Brive playing the Auckland (Blues) in the late 90's.
Can't find a source...bettter delete that...

http://www.liberation.fr/sports/0101205 ... s-d-europe

Au revoir.
(...) je souhaite que la Providence veille sur la France, pour son bonheur, pour son bien et pour sa grandeur. Au revoir !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9PjBgWO ... ata_player
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »