ESPN on player transferrs to Pro12

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Re: ESPN on player transferrs to Pro12

Post by BlueBlue »

Dave Cahill wrote:
blockhead wrote: Ok so, its like leaving Barcelona and moving to West Ham! Hows that for ya? Bright lights, big city....sh!t team.
More like leaving Man U or Arsenal and moving to Chelsea or Man City in 04 or 10 respectively. Racing have huge money and are going to spend it on winning the HEC and the Top 14, and they're going to be even more dangerous than prior attempts to do so were because they've bought very cleverly. Lydiate, Kruger, Sexton and all the props are the signings of a club that wants to make back page news, not front page headlines. If their coaches show the same kind of tactical acumen that whoever is in charge of their acquisitions did (if they aren't one and the same) they are going to be very serious challengers
Only one team have successfully bought a H-Cup. I predict they will be a slightly better rabble than they have been up to this point.
drive for 5
Munster 6-Leinster 25 H-cup semi Croke
Leinster 30-Munster 0 2009/10 RDS
Munster 15-Leinster 16 2009/10 Thomond
Leinster 16-Munster 6 2009/10 semi RDS
Leinster 13-Munster 9 2010 Lansdowne
Munster 16-Leinster 22 POC kicks DK in head 2013
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

BlueBlue wrote:Only one team have successfully bought a H-Cup. I predict they will be a slightly better rabble than they have been up to this point.
Outside of Conor George I don't know who is saying Racing will do much in the HEC this year. They've been down this route with big money before, remember Chabal in 10/11 season, and for all the talented individuals they've brought in can anyone rightly claim they're a talented team. Like Jamie Roberts is a big signing but did he ever deliver for Cardiff Blues? It takes time to build a team into something that can really challenge when stuff gets down to the wire. How ofter have we seen expensive squads, clubs that can field at least two teams of superstars of the game, Claremont I'm looking at you, bottle it when the pressure comes and the cohesion that comes from years of playing/developing together isn't there. The likes of Sexton probably won't go into his shell but there's plenty that might and it only take 2-3 to do it on a high pressure match day and the shot at silver is gone.

Toulon are the exception that proves the rule IMO.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

That is the exact opposite of what the phrase "the exception that proves the rule" means.

It means "No meat on Fridays" proves that you can have meat Saturday to Thursday.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

TerenureJim wrote:
BlueBlue wrote:Only one team have successfully bought a H-Cup. I predict they will be a slightly better rabble than they have been up to this point.
Outside of Conor George I don't know who is saying Racing will do much in the HEC this year. They've been down this route with big money before, remember Chabal in 10/11 season, and for all the talented individuals they've brought in can anyone rightly claim they're a talented team. Like Jamie Roberts is a big signing but did he ever deliver for Cardiff Blues? It takes time to build a team into something that can really challenge when stuff gets down to the wire. How ofter have we seen expensive squads, clubs that can field at least two teams of superstars of the game, Claremont I'm looking at you, bottle it when the pressure comes and the cohesion that comes from years of playing/developing together isn't there. The likes of Sexton probably won't go into his shell but there's plenty that might and it only take 2-3 to do it on a high pressure match day and the shot at silver is gone.

Plenty of teams have tried it including Racing previously, but as you say they've all tried to do it by signing high profile 'characters' like Chabal, Parisse and Mirco, not real players. Racing haven't gone that route this time. They've signed Lydiate, Sexton, Kruger, Andreu and yes Roberts who has delivered regularly for his club - that club being Wales. These aren't the high profile players - they're the good players, thats what makes them a threat. Good players, proper pros, have no need of an extended team building phase, because they do the right thing pretty much all the time in any situation.
I have Bumbleflex
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Racing had a cut at the H Cup last couple of years but policy seemed to be once we're more or less out/behind the 8 ball we wont bother so when they lost a home game or supposedly easy away game they ignored the tournament
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

Dave Cahill wrote:
TerenureJim wrote:

Plenty of teams have tried it including Racing previously, but as you say they've all tried to do it by signing high profile 'characters' like Chabal, Parisse and Mirco, not real players. Racing haven't gone that route this time. They've signed Lydiate, Sexton, Kruger, Andreu and yes Roberts who has delivered regularly for his club - that club being Wales. These aren't the high profile players - they're the good players, thats what makes them a threat. Good players, proper pros, have no need of an extended team building phase, because they do the right thing pretty much all the time in any situation.
We are on the same page in regard to trying to buy sucess. But I'm taking it a step further because I believe even buying good solid Pro's / talent is not an approach that often brings success, especially in rugby as these players are just that, players. They are not a team that has been built or moulded by time or hardship. They are a panel of excellent players but this does not make a team. This is especially true in rugby as the game is first and foremost still a physical confrontation. Its hard to stand shoulder to shoulder when the chips are down even when the lad next to you is top class.

This is why the Lions, more often than not by a huge scale will lose. Best panel of player in 4 nations, but often not yet a team.
drive for 5
Munster 6-Leinster 25 H-cup semi Croke
Leinster 30-Munster 0 2009/10 RDS
Munster 15-Leinster 16 2009/10 Thomond
Leinster 16-Munster 6 2009/10 semi RDS
Leinster 13-Munster 9 2010 Lansdowne
Munster 16-Leinster 22 POC kicks DK in head 2013