Connacht Thread 2013/14

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Connacht Thread 2013/14

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Think I've mentioned this before but apparently one of the reasons Sears left is because he spent a lot of money that Connacht didn't have.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Think I've mentioned this before but apparently one of the reasons Sears left is because he spent a lot of money that Connacht didn't have.
You'd expect there to be more available now, what with- a bigger gate, more high profile matches of late, more STH's and Irelands answer to Joe Rokocoko playing for them!
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Peg Leg wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Think I've mentioned this before but apparently one of the reasons Sears left is because he spent a lot of money that Connacht didn't have.
You'd expect there to be more available now, what with- a bigger gate, more high profile matches of late, more STH's and Irelands answer to Joe Rokocoko playing for them!
Gary Brown?
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
leinster4life13
Mullet

Post by leinster4life13 »

Peg Leg wrote:
:green clap: :green clap: :green clap:
The Harry Vermass fanclub

Heroes: David Knox, Carlos Spencer, Marc Lieveremont, Ian Madigan.

Villains: Kidney, O'Gara, Phillpe St Andre, Laporte, Cork Con Mafia,Matt O'Connor.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Connacht confirm Mils Muliaina rumours :-0

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/connacht- ... 7-May2014/
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Here's to 4 provinces in the Euro cup in the 15/16 season!
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

That's a wonderful signing for Connacht :clap:
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Well done that man Pat Lam, Clarke, Bundee & Mils are fantastic signings. Kudos to the IRFU for backing the signings too.
Daniel Sullivan
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Think Joe would be happy to have henshaw training and playing with Mils rather than a misfiring Leinster backline.
Daniel Sullivan
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Cianostays wrote:That's a wonderful signing for Connacht :clap:

It sure is. Imagine the headlines if Munster had signed him.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Muliaina, Poolman, Henshaw, Aki, Carr, Ronaldson, Marmion
Healy, Carty, Porter

Handy enough matchday backs contingent with McSharry, O'Halloran, Leaders, Nikora left over
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Can't share all the joy about Muliaina. At a time when the IRFU continually moan about costs, what's the long-term value in bringing in a 33 year-old full back with his best days 18 months behind him...or did I miss that he is coming in as a backs coach?

The backs coach is needed in Munster not Connacht, whose backs have looked like the most-improved Provincial back-line in Ireland since the turn of the year.

In terms of strategic planning this looks poor. In terms of playing politics with Connacht rugby for Michael Ring and Enda, this looks very shrewd. How much is that Irish Sports Council Grant again - €2.6M? Is there a Failte Ireland grant also going to Connacht Rugby?

Pretty big kick in the teeth also for Darragh Leader who has looked like he has something about him. Potential starts/ game-time will now be cut to matches against Zebre, Treviso, Dragons, etc. That really will bring on his development!
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Can't share all the joy about Muliaina. At a time when the IRFU continually moan about costs, what's the long-term value in bringing in a 33 year-old full back with his best days 18 months behind him...or did I miss that he is coming in as a backs coach?

The backs coach is needed in Munster not Connacht, whose backs have looked like the most-improved Provincial back-line in Ireland since the turn of the year.

In terms of strategic planning this looks poor. In terms of playing politics with Connacht rugby for Michael Ring and Enda, this looks very shrewd. How much is that Irish Sports Council Grant again - €2.6M? Is there a Failte Ireland grant also going to Connacht Rugby?

Pretty big kick in the teeth also for Darragh Leader who has looked like he has something about him. Potential starts/ game-time will now be cut to matches against Zebre, Treviso, Dragons, etc. That really will bring on his development!
Toner might stay yes. Valid points but I think the positives outweigh the neg.
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

Ruckedtobits wrote: Pretty big kick in the teeth also for Darragh Leader who has looked like he has something about him. Potential starts/ game-time will now be cut to matches against Zebre, Treviso, Dragons, etc. That really will bring on his development!
Darragh Leader is 20. He has a year to learn off probably the best full back of the professional era. This is a massive opportunity for him; I'd say he's delighted.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Have to say that, discounting any potential disadvantage/benefit to Connacht or Leader, from a purely selfish point of view I love this signing. I'm so excited at the possibility of seeing one of my all time favourites playing in the RDS next season.
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

Looking at Connacht's squad for next season though, there is a concern about the sheer number of their foreign players. They raison d'etre for the provinces is to provide players for the national side.

Connacht's first choice side could conceivably be:

Loughney, McCartney, White/Ah You, Clarke, Muldowney, Muldoon, Heeney, Nauopu, Marmion, Nikora, Poolman, Aki, Henshaw, Healy, Muliaina.

Obviously, that's worst case scenario but that's 10 foreign players in their starting side, potentially.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

ceemec wrote:Looking at Connacht's squad for next season though, there is a concern about the sheer number of their foreign players. They raison d'etre for the provinces is to provide players for the national side.

Connacht's first choice side could conceivably be:

Loughney, McCartney, White/Ah You, Clarke, Muldowney, Muldoon, Heeney, Nauopu, Marmion, Nikora, Poolman, Aki, Henshaw, Healy, Muliaina.

Obviously, that's worst case scenario but that's 10 foreign players in their starting side, potentially.
Thats 7 NIQs and 4 of them projects
White, Ah You, Nikora qualified on residency, Muldowney on ancestry, Poolman one year left on residency. Heenan has 2 but plays in a strong position for national side and he will be a serious asset when he does qualify

Mils being officially signed as a player/mentor, good idea in general but especially with them losing 4 of their most experienced squad members (Wilkinson, Murphy, Duffy, Parks)
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

They are but that wasn't really my point. White, Nikora and Muldowney will never play for Ireland. Ah You might feature one day based on this season but needs to keep working. Poolman is unlikely ever play for Ireland.

Heenan is the only guy who is really an option for Ireland and, even at that, I'm not sure if he'll ever be a regular player for Ireland. The back row is a hugely competitive area and, as good as Heenan has been, I'd always be a little concerned for a flanker that's so light being able to cut it at test level.

Essentially, the issue is they've had a seriously good crop of youngsters coming through in the last few years but these lads are falling by the wayside. I think they're going in the right direction but lads like Griffin and Conneely were two of the most promising youngsters in Ireland and are no longer in Irish rugby. I can see guys like Qualter and Layden falling the same way shortly.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Might it just be a bit of horse trading and Connacht have said "okay, we'll move Henshaw to 13 as long as you let us bring in Muliaina"? He can play 13 remember, so when Henshaw isn't around then he can slot in there.

Leader looks like a real talent but I don't think this will affect his game time too much. I reckon those three will rotate easily enough. All very different players as well so horses for courses will come into it.

Not sure why I have horses on the brain.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Might it just be a bit of horse trading and Connacht have said "okay, we'll move Henshaw to 13 as long as you let us bring in Muliaina"? He can play 13 remember, so when Henshaw isn't around then he can slot in there.

Leader looks like a real talent but I don't think this will affect his game time too much. I reckon those three will rotate easily enough. All very different players as well so horses for courses will come into it.

Not sure why I have horses on the brain.
I would neigh worry about it
ceemec wrote:They are but that wasn't really my point. White, Nikora and Muldowney will never play for Ireland. Ah You might feature one day based on this season but needs to keep working. Poolman is unlikely ever play for Ireland.

Heenan is the only guy who is really an option for Ireland and, even at that, I'm not sure if he'll ever be a regular player for Ireland. The back row is a hugely competitive area and, as good as Heenan has been, I'd always be a little concerned for a flanker that's so light being able to cut it at test level.

Essentially, the issue is they've had a seriously good crop of youngsters coming through in the last few years but these lads are falling by the wayside. I think they're going in the right direction but lads like Griffin and Conneely were two of the most promising youngsters in Ireland and are no longer in Irish rugby. I can see guys like Qualter and Layden falling the same way shortly.
White may well do, hes 3rd best IQ TH after this summer and has a few years left
But yeah NIkora/Muldowney never playing for Ireland. That said Nikora has never been first choice for them and has been behind Ronaldson all season. Muldowney is behind Clarke and ahead of Swift
Havent seen enough of Conneely to say otherwise but Griffin was a mediocre 13 who had a great burst at 12 and Munster should have signed him but no way was he one of the most promising youngsters in Connacht let alone Ireland.