Media Coverage of Pro12

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Alternative Ulster
Graduate

Re: Media Coverage of Pro12

Post by Alternative Ulster »

Schumi wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
Schumi wrote:Is there any reason RTE couldn't do that for every game not being shown live on TV?
One problem is that sometimes there just aren't any pictures to show. Whilst every game has some kind of camera coverage, TV stations have a minimum standard of coverage below which it simply won't put on its 'air' as anything other than a short report, say a single (or even two) fixed point camera(s).
That's fair enough but for games that are only on Welsh channels or BBC Alba that most people don't have, it'd be a handy option.
Disagree that most don't have. Anyone with any kind of a dish on their house, sky or otherwise, can get all these stations.

Given that practically all sportsfans will have either that or upc then I'm not sure there are more on cable than on satellite.

Someone will know that and prove me wrong. or not.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Sky is the largest provider of PTV services in Ireland with about 700k subscribers, followed by UPC with c.400k
I have Bumbleflex
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

R-Dog wrote:Have to say the RTE.ie coverage was good. (when I finally found the link on there site)

Watched it on the TV via HDMI cable and laptop and quality was very good even when maximized to full screen
Yeah, it was excellent. The links didn't work in Firefox (which is more stable on my computer) but the quality was excellent and if that is the coverage they are going to offer I'd have no complaints whatsoever.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

yeah none of these fancy channels on UPC
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Dave Cahill wrote:Sky is the largest provider of PTV services in Ireland with about 700k subscribers, followed by UPC with c.400k
There you go then. Add in those who have non sky satellite systems and there are probably more than twice as many who have access to the Welsh and Scottish stations.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

johng wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:BBC NI is confusing as all theyre showing instead is athletics, and presumably theyre getting feed from BBC Wales for free
If you have a dish you can get it on the red button. or..... you could have.
We could also get it on Freeview up here, not on the main channel as it was a feed from 1 camera, presumably the one used for the highlights and news reports, was not originally to be shown but BBCNI somehow changed that.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Dave Cahill wrote:
Schumi wrote:Is there any reason RTE couldn't do that for every game not being shown live on TV?
One problem is that sometimes there just aren't any pictures to show. Whilst every game has some kind of camera coverage, TV stations have a minimum standard of coverage below which it simply won't put on its 'air' as anything other than a short report, say a single (or even two) fixed point camera(s).
That was the type of feed we had for the Ulster v Dragons and BBC NI do a couple each year either online or red button or both, there is no TMO at those matches because of lack of camera coverage.