Media Coverage of Pro12

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Media Coverage of Pro12

Post by TerenureJim »

I know this is touched on in other threads but thought I'd get a discussion going on the overall coverage or lack thereof of the league by the media in general. The whole thing kicks off this weekend and we're only on rte.ie for coverage and Ulster are on BBC NI red button. That's the 2013 finalists and 2012 HEC finalists not really getting any coverage and I'm sure it's worse as you go down the league.

However I understand that football qualifiers take the hot seat at this time of year so fair enough for the TV.

That being said where is the radio coverage. Not even ten mins on Second captains? Wednesday night rugby doesn't seem to have happened this week?

As regards the papers where are the supplements detailing out the 12 teams the league preview assessing standings, player/coach movement, predictions etc. and where is the most high profile rugby jurno in the country hors de combat?
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Re: Media Coverage of Pro12

Post by Broken Wing »

It seems the biggest story in Irish rugby yesterday were throwaway, out of context comments about something that happened months ago.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

The premiership has just started, the transfer window closing is now a major event and the GAA is all consuming at the moment. It's actually the worst time of the year to kick of the new rugby season from a "getting noticed" point. Conor George is doing 3 articles a day, what more do you want from a turnip?
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Well that's the thing isn't it. The season is kicking off and the media just aren't bothered. Good few articles on a two month old story that doesn't really matter until Wales in the 6N or the autobiog comes out. Off The Ball had Tommy Bowe on but sure he was mostly talking about his injuries and the Lions as well.

Two small columns in the IT today on tonight's games is pretty desperate stuff for the only professional sports league in this country kicking off. The Leinster Senior Cup gets as much coverage.
mtleinster
Enlightened

Post by mtleinster »

Call me a contrarian, but I am reasonalby impressed with RTE this weekend.

Make or Break football is always going to be more important that the first Pro12 game of the season without many of our first choice players

RTE are streaming the game live and there is a 90 minure programme at about 12:30 which is Sky plused.

I think Munsters game is on TG4 so there is plenty of action this weekend
Les chances que Sexton vienne en France sont infimes
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

mtleinster wrote:Call me a contrarian, but I am reasonalby impressed with RTE this weekend.

Make or Break football is always going to be more important that the first Pro12 game of the season without many of our first choice players

RTE are streaming the game live and there is a 90 minure programme at about 12:30 which is Sky plused.

I think Munsters game is on TG4 so there is plenty of action this weekend
Oh I'm not having a go at TV and fully appreciate that RTE have key national football concerns tonight, just more the overall media coverage in general for the start of the league has gone off with more of a fizz than a bang.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

BBC NI is confusing as all theyre showing instead is athletics, and presumably theyre getting feed from BBC Wales for free
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

simonokeeffe wrote:BBC NI is confusing as all theyre showing instead is athletics, and presumably theyre getting feed from BBC Wales for free
If you have a dish you can get it on the red button. or..... you could have.
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

The coverage online from RTE was perfectly fine tonight, I'd be happy if there was a clash to watch it there again.
Get in the f%~king bag.
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

Slipper1 wrote:The coverage online from RTE was perfectly fine tonight, I'd be happy if there was a clash to watch it there again.
Agreed. And there was no George Hook!
A proud Winsome Fluter
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

Grumpy Old Man wrote:
Slipper1 wrote:The coverage online from RTE was perfectly fine tonight, I'd be happy if there was a clash to watch it there again.
I was going to tweet that but I've decided to be nice to George this season. for the moment.
Get in the f%~king bag.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Slipper1 wrote:
Grumpy Old Man wrote:
I was going to tweet that but I've decided to be nice to George this season. for the moment.
That's right! So all we really missed out on was the King of Cork spouting his usual nonsense.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Tonight on the last word they said there'd be soccer chat, Hurling chat and Rabo chat. The rugby got about 7 min at the end (which is fair enough considering its all Ireland final weekend) but in that time they spent about 6 min talking about BODs comments, and 1 min talking about the Pro 12 and Paul Wallace's charity cycle.
Schumi
Enlightened

Post by Schumi »

Is there any reason RTE couldn't do that for every game not being shown live on TV?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Schumi wrote:Is there any reason RTE couldn't do that for every game not being shown live on TV?
One problem is that sometimes there just aren't any pictures to show. Whilst every game has some kind of camera coverage, TV stations have a minimum standard of coverage below which it simply won't put on its 'air' as anything other than a short report, say a single (or even two) fixed point camera(s).
I have Bumbleflex
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Dave Cahill wrote:
Schumi wrote:Is there any reason RTE couldn't do that for every game not being shown live on TV?
One problem is that sometimes there just aren't any pictures to show. Whilst every game has some kind of camera coverage, TV stations have a minimum standard of coverage below which it simply won't put on its 'air' as anything other than a short report, say a single (or even two) fixed point camera(s).
Still today was a major step forward in terms of RTE, now if they could just figure out that red button thing.....
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

Grumpy Old Man wrote:
I thought watching it tonight on RTE.ie was just fine. I've two screens on my PC so had the match on one and the Leinsterfans match thread on the other.

If every away game was available like that I'd be happy. It's good that there weren't any adverts or any sign of George Hook.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

johng wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:BBC NI is confusing as all theyre showing instead is athletics, and presumably theyre getting feed from BBC Wales for free
If you have a dish you can get it on the red button. or..... you could have.
nah every time I press the red button the tv turns off
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Schumi
Enlightened

Post by Schumi »

Dave Cahill wrote:
That's fair enough but for games that are only on Welsh channels or BBC Alba that most people don't have, it'd be a handy option.
R-Dog
Graduate

Post by R-Dog »

Have to say the RTE.ie coverage was good. (when I finally found the link on there site)

Watched it on the TV via HDMI cable and laptop and quality was very good even when maximized to full screen