Johnny Sexton: Becoming a Lion

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Johnny Sexton: Becoming a Lion

Post by Darce »

Haven't seen a thread on it here. Feel free to point me too it.

Some interesting extracts in the Sunday Times yesterday
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Re: Johnny Sexton: Becoming a Lion

Post by Dave Cahill »

Yeah, just finished it 5 minutes ago. Its decent. Theres nothing really in it that any follower of a forum like this or its peers won't be already know apart from the personal stuff about how he felt about the various things that happened over the year, but for the more general rugby supporter it'll be a good read and it seems that its all his own work (albeit in diary fashion). Nice stuff about the development of his friendship with ROG (who comes across well in it) as well.
I have Bumbleflex
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

Excellent. Just downloading it now on iBooks
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
future international
Enlightened

Post by future international »

Read it in one sitting. Shocked by just how out of the loop Leinster management is kept when central contracts are being negotiated. Gave an interesting insight into his relationships with team mates etc. Thought the Lions section was very sanitized.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

future international wrote:Thought the Lions section was very sanitized.
I'm sure after the tour tell alls re Graham Henry from Matt Dawson/Austin Healy and then the whinge from Gavin Henson that most if not all Lions connected publishings of palyers who have yet to retire and could still go on another tour will be quite sanitised. You can see it in the official and unofficial tour vids. 1997 was complete access and no holds barred and since then every tour video has become more corporate and clean cut. Also the Lions organisation has greater control over publicity than they used to. Check out Chasing the Lions 2005 v Chasing the Lions 2009 and witness the lack of access to Lions players in 2009 compared to 2005 and we slate (rightly) the 2005 for "media management". it's just become a little less obvious/slicker.
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

TerenureJim wrote:
future international wrote:Thought the Lions section was very sanitized.
I'm sure after the tour tell alls re Graham Henry from Matt Dawson/Austin Healy and then the whinge from Gavin Henson that most if not all Lions connected publishings of palyers who have yet to retire and could still go on another tour will be quite sanitised. You can see it in the official and unofficial tour vids. 1997 was complete access and no holds barred and since then every tour video has become more corporate and clean cut. Also the Lions organisation has greater control over publicity than they used to. Check out Chasing the Lions 2005 v Chasing the Lions 2009 and witness the lack of access to Lions players in 2009 compared to 2005 and we slate (rightly) the 2005 for "media management". it's just become a little less obvious/slicker.

Think it's as much the players nowadays also being a bit more sanitised and a lot more savvy media wise . Given the natue of professional sport there a lot less "characters " in the lions touring party these days. In 2005 other than DOC they all appeared to be scared to death to be seen laughing and joking. In 2009 at least the likes of Bowe Monye ,Powell Roberts and Kearney were always available for the camera and seemed to be having a good time.

I dare say Evans, Stevens Tulagi,Vuniopla, and Zebo will be hogging the limelight on this year's tour they all appear to like the limelight.

The big question over this years DVD will be do they have the guts to show the selection meeting prior to the 3rd test and will they show much of the fall out of that selection?