2015 HEC Final

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Re: 2015 HEC Final

Post by The Doc »

Flash Gordon wrote:
simonno6 wrote:Would there be concerns re this selling out?
There sure would. Especially if there are no French teams in the tournament! We had two teams in Dublin with bugger all support so the stadium was largely full of locally interested rugby fans of which there are very few in Milan.
They have been getting quite a large crowd of "vaguely interested what this is all about" punters in Italy in the last year or so - the 6N matches earlier this year for example. I would say a bit of local marketing along the likes of "Rugby equivalent to European Champions League in our City" would get a decent crowd of walk ins
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Dexter wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:developing developing markets, they ripped the idea off from Rugby Champions Cup
It's what the fans want
:D

not this fan, meant to be a scary take off and landing to/from Milan airport coming over the mountains
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

A pity it's the same year as the RWC but I think this trip is a must do.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

simonokeeffe wrote:
Dexter wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:developing developing markets, they ripped the idea off from Rugby Champions Cup
It's what the fans want

not this fan, meant to be a scary take off and landing to/from Milan airport coming over the mountains
You'va a choice of three (Linate, Malpensa, Bergamo). Never had a problem into/out of any of them. (More than can be said for Birmingham a few years ago) :shock:
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

simonno6 wrote:True but would there be a big enough Rugby playing population interested to make the trip.
They did quite well in selling tickets when NZ came to town in Milan to face Italy a season or two back.
simonno6
Rhys Ruddock

Post by simonno6 »

TerenureJim wrote:
simonno6 wrote:True but would there be a big enough Rugby playing population interested to make the trip.
They did quite well in selling tickets when NZ came to town in Milan to face Italy a season or two back.
Again true but the lure of the All Blacks should be greater, and they still only did 'quite well'.

They have a lot to compete with what with all those knack-ball games and bunga bunga parties.
Saturday 23rd May 2009 - Number 1
Saturday 21st May 2011 - Brace
Saturday 19th May 2012 - Hatrick!
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

simonno6 wrote:
TerenureJim wrote:
Again true but the lure of the All Blacks should be greater, and they still only did 'quite well'.

They have a lot to compete with what with all those knack-ball games and bunga bunga parties.
Usually at the same time - now thats prime time viewing :)
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

simonno6 wrote:
TerenureJim wrote:

Bunga Bunga parties in the San Siro? Bloody hell.

I like the ERC's timing on all this. Getting on with the business of running the Heineken Cup regardless of the bluff and bluster from the PRL. I wonder have Peter Wheeler and Pascal Goze made arrangements to come to Dublin on 23 and 24 October after all?
Four Stars
TheBear
Enlightened

Post by TheBear »

simonno6 wrote:
TerenureJim wrote:

So long as they don't have two French teams in the final, they'll be fine. Irish and English teams bring a bit of a crowd, I'm sure Welsh and Scots would too if they made it, and then there's the sizeable number of people who travel to all the finals, irrespective of who's playing.

I think lots of people would be more inclined to go if it's in Milan on the grounds that a) there'd be a novelty in going to see the stadium and b) the weather is more likely to be agreeable.
Heavy words are so lightly thrown
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

How much have the flights gone up already?
TheBear
Enlightened

Post by TheBear »

Morf wrote:How much have the flights gone up already?
Has the date been announced, or just the venue?

(Also, generally you can only buy flights 330 days in advance, though that may be different if going through a travel agent.)
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

TheBear wrote:

(Also, generally you can only buy flights 330 days in advance, though that may be different if going through a travel agent.)
Is this a regulation or just a limitation of online booking on sites?
TheBear
Enlightened

Post by TheBear »

Morf wrote:
TheBear wrote:

Not sure if it's a regulation, but it's been in place for ages. Go on to the Aer Lingus website, and try to book for late September next year, and it'll tell you that you can only book 330 days in advance.

Edit: I may be making stuff up about it being a general rule. Ryanair site has allowed me to request flights for October next year.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

TheBear wrote:
Morf wrote:
TheBear wrote:Has the date been announced, or just the venue?

Not sure if it's a regulation, but it's been in place for ages. Go on to the Aer Lingus website, and try to book for late September next year, and it'll tell you that you can only book 330 days in advance.

Edit: I may be making stuff up about it being a general rule. Ryanair site has allowed me to request flights for October next year.
I tried Expedia and it seems to be the same!

Thanks for the info anyway.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

simonokeeffe wrote:
Dexter wrote:
It's what the fans want

Total balls, landed in Milan in a blizzard and the pilot didn't even get the plane sideways !
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Driving to Milan from the south of France seems a lot less arduous than drive/ferry/drive or whatever to Dublin/Cardiff/Edinburgh etc. The French may travel in big numbers to a Final in the San Siro.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Morf wrote:
TheBear wrote:

Heard once from a travel agent that the main reason is that enough people get the wrong month for bookings never mind add in the year factor also airlines usually don't have their routes and timetables sorted anyway.
Alternative Ulster
Graduate

Post by Alternative Ulster »

Sorry wrong thread
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Dave Cahill wrote:Except that Milan, being in Lombardy, and next door to Venetia, is the hub of the rugby playing population of Italy.
Even if you took the average attendance for both Italian teams and assumed every one of them would go you'd still have 75k empty spaces. There are very few teams that would bring enough supporters to fill a stadium of this size. I think they might have been better going for somewhere like Verona - 44k stadium, beautiful city, easy enough to get too and close to the rugby hotbed too. Anyway, all very hypothetical at this stage obviously!
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Flash Gordon wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:Except that Milan, being in Lombardy, and next door to Venetia, is the hub of the rugby playing population of Italy.
Even if you took the average attendance for both Italian teams and assumed every one of them would go you'd still have 75k empty spaces. There are very few teams that would bring enough supporters to fill a stadium of this size. I think they might have been better going for somewhere like Verona - 44k stadium, beautiful city, easy enough to get too and close to the rugby hotbed too. Anyway, all very hypothetical at this stage obviously!
I've been at a couple of other Italian matches Rovigo and Parma and Viadana and Moniglio and they have the same sort of crowds as Zebre so add in those fans and they will soon get the numbers up plus I think a lot of casual tourists will go.