Heineken Cup 2013-2014 Other Pools

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Heineken Cup 2013-2014 Other Pools

Post by dropkick »

Saracens are limited and deserved what they got. They struggled badly in the scrum. Vunipola looks even worse with the new scrum laws.

Its also noticable how Toulouse have gone with the typically French big massive pack. They are massive but not very mobile.
UlsterMan
Bookworm

Post by UlsterMan »

Treviso actually played very well last night, they had a lot of good play and definitely should have scored one try, possibly even two, they just couldn't cross the whitewash. They then gave away three yellow cards and it all went downhill from there but they really shouldn't have given away the final try, the clock was in the red and Adam Thompstone managed to break three tackles to score. Very upsetting from an Ulster perspective obviously, Leicester didn't play well at all. They were greatly benefited by Pascal Gauzere giving them penalties at every occasion though.
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

Not to be intentionally pessimistic but the two BPs that Leicester have collected in the past week could well be the winning of the group. They were points that were by no means guaranteed or even better than 50/50. The way it's shaping up, I'm beginning to think that Ulster may have to win in Welford Road (assuming they win at least 3 of their next 4).
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

dropkick wrote:Saracens are limited and deserved what they got. They struggled badly in the scrum. Vunipola looks even worse with the new scrum laws.

Its also noticable how Toulouse have gone with the typically French big massive pack. They are massive but not very mobile.

What did you make to that young number 8 they had? takes some stopping doesn't he?

Mccalister gave the worst display of fly half play I have ever seen at that level!

Glad they won though, would be a nightmare if big mouth Wray and co won the cup!
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

JB1973 wrote:
dropkick wrote:Saracens are limited and deserved what they got. They struggled badly in the scrum. Vunipola looks even worse with the new scrum laws.

What did you make to that young number 8 they had? takes some stopping doesn't he?

Mccalister gave the worst display of fly half play I have ever seen at that level!

Glad they won though, would be a nightmare if big mouth Wray and co won the cup!
I think McAllister was injured. Good away win for Toulouse. I think Toulouse will have more to offer at home.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Well done Cardiff, lovely stuff.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

4 Irish wins, Cardiff beat Toulon, Scarlets only get a draw at home to Racing. An Ospreys win tomorrow would be sweet. Gwan the RABO.
BTW, what is the best result for us tomorrow? 4-0 to the Ospreys??
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

Really shaping up in interesting fashion. Toulouse are the only side now that are looking like having a home quarter final team at this point given the quality of their pool and their victory in their toughest game.

The other pools are, wonderfully for us, all seeing teams taking points from one another and damaging any one side's chances of putting up a big points total. After only two rounds, Leinster, Ulster and Toulouse are the only sides with two wins from two. Exeter could join them tomorrow but it will be hugely unlikely for Exeter to maintain any sort of form that will see them win five games in their pool. They'll do well just to win tomorrow.

I could certainly see Toulon losing another game on the road. They may be champions but they had a pool last year that rolled over for them. In fairness, this year's pool isn't top quality but they're flakey on the road and I can see them blowing it away to either Glasgow or Exeter.

I'd still expect Clermont to come through and put some teams to the sword. Despite their opening defeat, I could still see them racking up 23 or 24 points with bonus point wins at home.

All in all, this has been a really good weekend for Leinster and Ulster.
Schumi
Enlightened

Post by Schumi »

blockhead wrote:BTW, what is the best result for us tomorrow? 4-0 to the Ospreys??
Probably. It'd all but knock Northampton out and keep Ospreys interested in getting results against Castres.
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

Best scenario, I think, would be Ospreys to win tomorrow, effectively eliminating Northampton ahead of our meeting and then Castres hopefully beating Ospreys in France (and vice versa the next week) with no bonus points earned. That would see Northampton out already and Castres and Ospreys fairly pessimistic, hopefully.

The entire pool for Leinster, hinges on winning in Northampton now, I feel.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

ceemec wrote:Best scenario, I think, would be Ospreys to win tomorrow, effectively eliminating Northampton ahead of our meeting and then Castres hopefully beating Ospreys in France (and vice versa the next week) with no bonus points earned. That would see Northampton out already and Castres and Ospreys fairly pessimistic, hopefully.

Sure that's always the way. The next game is always make or break. That's the Heino for ye.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

blockhead wrote:
ceemec wrote:Best scenario, I think, would be Ospreys to win tomorrow, effectively eliminating Northampton ahead of our meeting and then Castres hopefully beating Ospreys in France (and vice versa the next week) with no bonus points earned. That would see Northampton out already and Castres and Ospreys fairly pessimistic, hopefully.

Sure that's always the way. The next game is always make or break. That's the Heino for ye.
Until the inevitable rule changes/composition change. The lopsided nature of the competition means that you cannot rely on second place in your group. It makes the composition uniquely compelling from a sporting perspective. That has already been bargained away for PRL "fairness". It's sad that this was never going to be kept.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Always good to see Globo Gym (c) WhiffofCordite lose especially in front of 55,000 paying :lol: spectators but cannot see Toulouse winning the cup without a new outhalf

In Fairness sarries would play their quarter final away anyways, coupled with Toulon losing Leinster and Ulster have decent shouts at home quarters now

For all their money you'd think Sarries would find at least one prop that can scrummage
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Jaysus the Hairspreys are doing themselves no favours. Butchered a scrum chance on Saints 5m line. Couldn't protect their own ball. 17-6 Ht Saints. Saints look good for BP win.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Schumi
Enlightened

Post by Schumi »

Edinburgh leading Perpignan at HT. Very strange pool!
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Schumi wrote:Edinburgh leading Perpignan at HT. Very strange pool!
if Edinburgh make quarters again the Rugby Champions Cup is definitely on
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

Glasgow's pool is looking very tight. Absolutely criminal to give away the lbp in the last few minutes. I wonder how costly it will be in the end.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

simonokeeffe wrote:
It matters not SOKs.
If a Rabo team wins? Its because no relegation/saving themselves for the Heino/get unfair share of ERC revenue/ERC in Dublin/provinces are not real clubs, use any or all of these excuses or make up a few of your own if you like, they'll all be regarded as gospel by the PRL/Fans/Press/flash. Either way the ERC is not fit for purpose and must go.

If a Rabo team loses? Well obviously they're not good enough to compete with the elite teams of the PRL and the French league, cause we have considerably more money than YEEEEOW!
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

kermischocolate wrote:Glasgow's pool is looking very tight. Absolutely criminal to give away the lbp in the last few minutes. I wonder how costly it will be in the end.
to Exeter? theyve more chance of making Champions League quarter finals what with backs to backs against a grumpy Toulon and a trip to Cardiff
blockhead wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:
It matters not SOKs.
If a Rabo team wins? Its because no relegation/saving themselves for the Heino/get unfair share of ERC revenue/ERC in Dublin/provinces are not real clubs, use any or all of these excuses or make up a few of your own if you like, they'll all be regarded as gospel by the PRL/Fans/Press/flash. Either way the ERC is not fit for purpose and must go.

If a Rabo team loses? Well obviously they're not good enough to compete with the elite teams of the PRL and the French league, cause we have considerably more money than YEEEEOW!
But seriously English/French served notice on ERC after year of all Irish final in twickers, Edinburgh in semis and Rabo accounting for 5/8 quarter finalists
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

simonokeeffe wrote:
kermischocolate wrote:Glasgow's pool is looking very tight. Absolutely criminal to give away the lbp in the last few minutes. I wonder how costly it will be in the end.
to Exeter? theyve more chance of making Champions League quarter finals what with backs to backs against a grumpy Toulon and a trip to Cardiff [\quote]

No I meant to Glasgow. Despite our woeful European form Cardiff x2 are beatable as are Exeter and as has been shown so are Toulon. With everyone so far beating everyone in the group anything is possible.