London Irish RFC

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Slipper1
Rob Kearney

London Irish RFC

Post by Slipper1 »

London Irish have called a press conference for tomorrow where they are expected to announce a takeover by an 'Irish businessman'.
Thats via Nick Heath, a rugby journalist in the UK.
Get in the f%~king bag.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Re: London Irish RFC

Post by Logorrhea »

and so we begin to join the PRL, except we do it their way. We buy our way in.
Alternative Ulster
Graduate

Post by Alternative Ulster »

Perhaps they will join the Rabo if the Welsh Regions Join the Premiership :)
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

Some chap called Mick Crossan apparently, already well established with the club.
Get in the f%~king bag.
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

Any chance of his saying he will play in the HEC next year?
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Though details of the takeover have not been made public, the Daily Mail reports that Irishman Mick Crossan, chairman of recycling and waste management company Powerday, is at the forefront of the bid
Wasn't that Tony Sopranos business too?
Is Mick gonna make the PRL an offer they can't refuse?
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

London Irish look set to be taken over by a consortium, led by Irish businessman Mick Crossan.

A special press conference will be held at the club's training ground in Sunbury tomorrow morning, but details of the announcemeent have yet to be disclosed.

Crossan is chairman of recycling and waste management company Powerday, who have been the team's headline sponsor since 2011 and also employ former skipper Bob Casey.

The club currently has 840 shareholders, with a group of 35-40 large shareholders controlling the club.

One of the big issues for the new owners will be whether to move away from their home at Madejski Stadium.

The Exiles have been playing at Reading FC's ground since 2000 but have struggled to fill the 24,161 capacity, registering an average attendance of just over 9,000 last season.

Irish are currently six years into a contract that lasts until the end of the 2025-26 season.

In the past the club have been linked with a possible ground-sharing arrangement with Brentford FC, who were recently given the go-ahead to leave Griffin Park and move to a new 20,000-seat stadium.

Brentford's new ground, which will be situated on Lionel Road - between Kew Bridge station and the M4, should be ready for the new 2016-17 season.

Based in London, Crossan plans a recruitment drive to reaffirm the club’s Irish identity.

Munster second row Donnacha Ryan is on the list of possible targets and Ireland international Tom Court was added to the ranks last week.

Court is reported to have told the Daily Mail: "They’re recruiting hard and want to get a good strong Irish element in their team again.

"They mentioned that there was maybe a change in management of the board, but to be honest I didn’t make a lot of it."

Irish recently shocked the rugby world by signing Australia international James O'Connor and any new cash injection would improve their chances of holding onto him and England winger Marland Yarde, whose contract expires in the summer.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

How are you feeling about the takeover Flash? Have to say I'm sort of excited to see London Irish at least get back to being ya'know Irish. Can we see the "Come On You Irish" and all it's associated plasticness dropped as well now perhaps.

Hopefully in addition to bringing Irish players to the club they can foster some form of informal relationship with the IRFU, yes it's a private business but it could be mutually beneficial to see players who don't make it into a provincial academey given a shot over there and exiles who don't want to necessarily return to a province having someplace where they can be in a quasi-Irish set up and maybe be in the shop window for the national management as given enough of a concentration of Irish players the club will stay on Joe's radar.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

If they want to push the Irish connection, they could do a lot worse than brining in Eddie O'Sullivan to be head coach.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

CiaranIrl wrote:If they want to push the Irish connection, they could do a lot worse than brining in Eddie O'Sullivan to be head coach.
Brilliant idea. Still think Connacht would be a good move if Lam doesn't turn things around quickly but LI would be even better. Unfortunately for him they seem to have turned a bit of a corner though so doubt they'd be looking for a change unless things take a drastic turn.

Really is such a waste, can't understand why he's been shunned apart from the US job. You'd have to think he's finished as a coach if he doesn't get a job by the start of next season.

Can't believe LI are wasting their time with CJ. He's been useless whenever I've seen him since his Leinster days. More players like him and they'll put in performances like the one Racing put in the other day.

Obviously this depends on which young players they can hang on to but would love if LI gave TOH (who actually plays a bit like JOC when he's in form) and Conway a shot. That's from a Leinster/Irish perspective. From theirs I think they should target Darren Cave. He's exactly the type of classy footballer that a lot of English teams lack in midfield and should be highly sought after over there IMO. Donnacha Ryan might be a good signing but he's very injury prone so not sure I'd bother.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: Really is such a waste, can't understand why he's been shunned apart from the US job. You'd have to think he's finished as a coach if he doesn't get a job by the start of next season.
I think it may be something to do with the fact that he left the US, Ireland and Connacht jobs under a bit of a cloud and some suggestions he had pissed his employers off in some way. Am sure it's more complex than that but if you are out looking to fill any position, a rumour of previous difficulties is probably not something you have top of your list
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Obviously there were issues with Ireland but wasn't actually aware of that about the US and Connacht.

Even so though, you see guys like Henson and Cipriani get chances having done much much worse and yet nobody is willing to take on a coach who did really well apart from a total c~*k up at one tournament. I just don't get it. Not saying he's not flawed but when you look at the mess some teams have gotten into, he seems like the perfect antidote to that in my eyes.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

TerenureJim wrote:How are you feeling about the takeover Flash? Have to say I'm sort of excited to see London Irish at least get back to being ya'know Irish. Can we see the "Come On You Irish" and all it's associated plasticness dropped as well now perhaps.

Hopefully in addition to bringing Irish players to the club they can foster some form of informal relationship with the IRFU, yes it's a private business but it could be mutually beneficial to see players who don't make it into a provincial academey given a shot over there and exiles who don't want to necessarily return to a province having someplace where they can be in a quasi-Irish set up and maybe be in the shop window for the national management as given enough of a concentration of Irish players the club will stay on Joe's radar.
They can't push the Irish angle too far or it will cost them funding from the RFU.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Darren Cave's face mightnt fit at London irish
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

cormac wrote:
TerenureJim wrote:How are you feeling about the takeover Flash? Have to say I'm sort of excited to see London Irish at least get back to being ya'know Irish. Can we see the "Come On You Irish" and all it's associated plasticness dropped as well now perhaps.

They can't push the Irish angle too far or it will cost them funding from the RFU.
Why would you need that when you have the filthy BT lucre!
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

Tom Court must be gutted not to be a big name.

Exiles aim to land name Irish player

London Irish want to sign an established Irish international as they seek to re-establish links to Ireland.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/european/ ... sh-player/
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Very happy about it mate, it'll hopefully restore the soul of the club. Interestingly, if you go down to the amateur club you really feel the Irish identity - in the mini's section, I'd say 70-80% of the accents on the sideline cheering on the kids are Irish. However, as you say, at Reading the paddywackery is just embarassing. The "come on you Irish" isn't even the worse of of it, the Leprachaun on the bicycle I saw at the last match I was at marked a new low........Absolutely on the relationship. If they could get to a situation where Irish players knew that they had a shot at the national team playing there, that'd be a recruitment plus and if they could get a coach tuned in and connected to what Joe was trying to do with Ireland it'd be a huge boost. In that scenario, players like Nick Kennedy, Shane Geraghty, Declan Dannaher who were Irish qualified elected to play for England because of the perceived selection criteria (not saying they would have played, but they were available) would add a bit more depth to our player pool.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Flash Gordon wrote:

Very happy about it mate, it'll hopefully restore the soul of the club. Interestingly, if you go down to the amateur club you really feel the Irish identity - in the mini's section, I'd say 70-80% of the accents on the sideline cheering on the kids are Irish. However, as you say, at Reading the paddywackery is just embarassing. The "come on you Irish" isn't even the worse of of it, the Leprachaun on the bicycle I saw at the last match I was at marked a new low........Absolutely on the relationship. If they could get to a situation where Irish players knew that they had a shot at the national team playing there, that'd be a recruitment plus and if they could get a coach tuned in and connected to what Joe was trying to do with Ireland it'd be a huge boost. In that scenario, players like Nick Kennedy, Shane Geraghty, Declan Dannaher who were Irish qualified elected to play for England because of the perceived selection criteria (not saying they would have played, but they were available) would add a bit more depth to our player pool.
Nothing like a bit of money to restore the soul!
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
CiaranIrl wrote:If they want to push the Irish connection, they could do a lot worse than brining in Eddie O'Sullivan to be head coach.
Brilliant idea. Still think Connacht would be a good move if Lam doesn't turn things around quickly but LI would be even better. Unfortunately for him they seem to have turned a bit of a corner though so doubt they'd be looking for a change unless things take a drastic turn.

Really is such a waste, can't understand why he's been shunned apart from the US job. You'd have to think he's finished as a coach if he doesn't get a job by the start of next season.

Can't believe LI are wasting their time with CJ. He's been useless whenever I've seen him since his Leinster days. More players like him and they'll put in performances like the one Racing put in the other day.

Obviously this depends on which young players they can hang on to but would love if LI gave TOH (who actually plays a bit like JOC when he's in form) and Conway a shot. That's from a Leinster/Irish perspective. From theirs I think they should target Darren Cave. He's exactly the type of classy footballer that a lot of English teams lack in midfield and should be highly sought after over there IMO. Donnacha Ryan might be a good signing but he's very injury prone so not sure I'd bother.
In fairness, the current coach has 9 caps for Ireland, so there is a connection. I do agree that Eddie's isolation is a loss to rugby, he is a decent coach. The issue with Eddie has never been his technical ability rather his paranoid and controlling personality. People simply can't work with him.