Aviva Premiership: something exciting happens

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Aviva Premiership: something exciting happens

Post by simonokeeffe »

FLIP wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:Good "If its a Humphries type role then why not but hes been out of the game for a while
He's coming on as a technical consultant. Which could mean anything really. Is he just there to make it look Irish?
Hes just therr to walk their dog mascot while wearing a flat cap
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Looks like London Irish could find themselves locked out of the AP if the latest talk of ringfencing the league is anything to go by. You'd think they would give clubs a year or two notice.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

dropkick wrote:Looks like London Irish could find themselves locked out of the AP if the latest talk of ringfencing the league is anything to go by. You'd think they would give clubs a year or two notice.
Didn't hear this. What's it all about? With the Brentford deal nearly completion, that's crappy if it's true.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Flash Gordon wrote:
dropkick wrote:Looks like London Irish could find themselves locked out of the AP if the latest talk of ringfencing the league is anything to go by. You'd think they would give clubs a year or two notice.
Didn't hear this. What's it all about? With the Brentford deal nearly completion, that's crappy if it's true.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/ ... ship-rugby
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Why would they lock London Irish out?

For all the talk in that article about club investment, there’s none about the investment and work done by the RFU. Putting the pro structures in place to become (at one time) the best team in the World, winning the RWC, making big financial investments into English academies, paying elite players, getting the top English players back in England etc.

The argument should really be that the clubs are holding back the RFU rather than the other way around.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

ronk wrote:Why would they lock London Irish out?

For all the talk in that article about club investment, there’s none about the investment and work done by the RFU. Putting the pro structures in place to become (at one time) the best team in the World, winning the RWC, making big financial investments into English academies, paying elite players, getting the top English players back in England etc.

The argument should really be that the clubs are holding back the RFU rather than the other way around.
Brizzle owner is loaded and in an untapped market on the Welsh border. The not nots are not. Money innit.

Seems a bit odd that they can't support a proper pro lower tier ala Pro D2. Does LNR call the shots/ fund that?
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

With Irish out all clubs would have "primacy of tenure" in their grounds. Irish wouldn't whether they move to Brentford or not.
RavenhillRaider
Knowledgeable

Post by RavenhillRaider »

dropkick wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote:

I first comment on that article is very good. But there is just no way England can restructure the club game like Ireland. They left the clubs run free a long time ago.
BOD is GOD!
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

johng wrote:With Irish out all clubs would have "primacy of tenure" in their grounds. Irish wouldn't whether they move to Brentford or not.
I don't think I've ever heard that phrase in use by anyone else. I'm not sure it actually can mean what they say it does. Being a "primary tenant" does necessarily mean "a club being able to control its ability to meet a fixture list and accommodate necessary changes to fixtures."
Read more at https://www.premiershiprugby.com/news/p ... xeijP4P.99
Their are multiple reasons a club might not be able to do that (zoning, local residents, sub-tenants) even if it owned the ground. A term that Premiership rugby later uses as a synonym for "primacy of tenure".
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

The issue is further complicated by the fact that London Irish are one of the 12 shareholders in the Premiership, and Bristol are not. So even if LI are relegated and locked out of the Premiership, they'll still get their slice of the revenue from TV and sponsorship deals.
I have Bumbleflex
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

Dave Cahill wrote:The issue is further complicated by the fact that London Irish are one of the 12 shareholders in the Premiership, and Bristol are not. So even if LI are relegated and locked out of the Premiership, they'll still get their slice of the revenue from TV and sponsorship deals.
Just dawned on me.

Run the Premiership as 13 teams. Add 2 extra games and (if my maths are right) 4 weeks a season but everyone gets 2 fallow weeks during the season. Premiership still get 6 matches per weekend but over more weeks and players get a rest in to the bargain.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Dave Cahill wrote:The issue is further complicated by the fact that London Irish are one of the 12 shareholders in the Premiership, and Bristol are not. So even if LI are relegated and locked out of the Premiership, they'll still get their slice of the revenue from TV and sponsorship deals.
Aren't Leeds as well?
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

paddyor wrote:
Aren't Leeds as well?
No, sold their share to Exeter a few years ago
I have Bumbleflex
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

tumbleweed
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

dropkick wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote:

Key line for me in that article is Wray wants the club game to be bigger than the national game, he can go and shite.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

blockhead wrote:http://www.espn.co.uk/rugby/story/_/id/ ... mpions-cup

They need even more money.
Squad size wouldn’t be an issue with a properly designed salary cap.

Min salary and min number of players.
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

I'm pretty sure there are 13 shareholders in the Premiership one of them being Bristol, despite not playing in that league. One of the financial incentives to go to 12 teams is that the 13th share gets allocated to the other teams and thus providing a short sharp cash injection into the league.
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

outcast eddie wrote:
I'm pretty sure there are 13 shareholders in the Premiership one of them being Bristol, despite not playing in that league. One of the financial incentives to go to 12 teams is that the 13th share gets allocated to the other teams and thus providing a short sharp cash injection into the league.
I think you're right about Bristol. They can't just re-allocate the 13th share though, they'd have to buy it off London Irish.
I have Bumbleflex