Aviva Premiership: something exciting happens

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Re: Aviva Premiership: something exciting happens

Post by fourthirtythree »

"trump all other global leagues"*.... hmmm, given that the word is a synonym throughout the world for self-important bluster, vainglorious bragging and self-promotion, barefaced lies, and really poor performance I think he may have a point.

Grauniad coverage of rugby is particularly dreadful though. He just happens to be the worst thing in a bad lot.

* FYI Bob: the English league is not a "global" league. That writing English thing? Awful hard for a professional writer isn't it? It's not a sub's fault either as it's lifted from his own copy further down the piece.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

The more these hacks refer to the Pro14 when writing about the prem the more they are concerned about the pro14 and its potential.
Re the best league in the world, as Thatcher once said;
"Power is like being a lady... if you have to tell people you are, you aren't"
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Apparently the Worcester owner is looking to divest some of his shares in the club due to mounting losses.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

paddyor wrote:Apparently the Worcester owner is looking to divest some of his shares in the club due to mounting losses.
£16M over the last 3 seasons. Yikes! Yer man Grifiths has left today and is rumored to be looking at takeover
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

blockhead wrote:
paddyor wrote:Apparently the Worcester owner is looking to divest some of his shares in the club due to mounting losses.
£16M over the last 3 seasons. Yikes! Yer man Grifiths has left today and is rumored to be looking at takeover
Jaysus, didn't know it was that much. There does seem to be a growing divide in the AP. Quins don't seem to have any/much money to compete and Leicester don't seem to have done much to strengthen their pack (which seems one of the weakest I've ever seen). They seem to be breaking even to get mid table or running at a loss to be competive (Wasps/ Saracens)
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

blockhead wrote:The more these hacks refer to the Pro14 when writing about the prem the more they are concerned about the pro14 and its potential.

Good point. The 3 leagues in Europe are also competing with each other as products. The English owners would like a soccer scenario where the Celtic fringe fades away and all the money and viewership moves to the premiership.

The pro12 was far behind marketing itself but things have improved since Anayi came and it now has a major rugby power in South Africa on board.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

dropkick wrote:
blockhead wrote:The more these hacks refer to the Pro14 when writing about the prem the more they are concerned about the pro14 and its potential.

Good point. The 3 leagues in Europe are also competing with each other as products. The English owners would like a soccer scenario where the Celtic fringe fades away and all the money and viewership moves to the premiership.

The pro12 was far behind marketing itself but things have improved since Anayi came and it now has a major rugby power in South Africa on board.
It always had a major rugby power, yep we don't have the same potential tv viewer market, but in the provinces we have teams that attract big audiences, big crowds and have great local talent with some real international stars.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

fourthirtythree wrote:"trump all other global leagues"*.... hmmm, given that the word is a synonym throughout the world for self-important bluster, vainglorious bragging and self-promotion, barefaced lies, and really poor performance I think he may have a point.

Grauniad coverage of rugby is particularly dreadful though. He just happens to be the worst thing in a bad lot.

* FYI Bob: the English league is not a "global" league. That writing English thing? Awful hard for a professional writer isn't it? It's not a sub's fault either as it's lifted from his own copy further down the piece.
You've described your typical EU politician.
J. C. Juncker comes to mind immediately but could you be more specific?
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Serves Worcester right for stealing Ben Te'o :-p

Quinns were running on a very good and sustainable model but then they started producing too many England players. And salary cap went up. They should be doing well crowd wise as they are in England rugby's D4 and have effing London as target market with 2 other clubs who are very far away

The 3 leagues are competing for players but not viewers. Maybe some sponsors
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
JohnB
Graduate

Post by JohnB »

I see that the natives are getting restless on the official and unofficial Leicester Tiger forums after their club's poor nil from two start under new DoR MOC. Some are also commenting wistfully on Cockerill's 2 from 2 start with Edinburgh in th Pro 14. Is it a bit early for them to be so alarmed?
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

I've seen some comments about how the Premiership is a better league than the Pro12/14.

I've watched 4 games from each over the last two weeks and I would argue that the skill levels and entertainment value of the Pro14 is considerably higher than the Premiership.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

the spoofer wrote:I've seen some comments about how the Premiership is a better league than the Pro12/14.

I've watched 4 games from each over the last two weeks and I would argue that the skill levels and entertainment value of the Pro14 is considerably higher than the Premiership.
I think the Prem is 3 tiering as much as ours and theyre losing a lot of overseas talent to the euro

Sararcens, Wasps, Exeter can win the league
Bath, Leicester, Saints, Gloucester, Quinns aiming for 4th through 6th
Rest avoiding drop/happy to be there

But we have 5 teams that can or have won the league recently. Then Ulster, Ospreys in the playoffs/Europe tier
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

the spoofer wrote:I've seen some comments about how the Premiership is a better league than the Pro12/14.

You've been reading the grauniad haven't you?
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

JohnB wrote:I see that the natives are getting restless on the official and unofficial Leicester Tiger forums after their club's poor nil from two start under new DoR MOC. Some are also commenting wistfully on Cockerill's 2 from 2 start with Edinburgh in th Pro 14. Is it a bit early for them to be so alarmed?
I'd be worried too if I was them. Saw the game on Saturday and they played a very basic game plan that was somehow still disorganised, very reminiscent of when he was here.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

any team coached by MOC should be worried.
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

mildlyinterested wrote:any team coached by MOC should be worried.
During the Euro season where we got annihilated by Wasps, I went to see Leicester v Racing in the semi-final and got a right slagging from the Leicester fans....I'm going to enjoy this. :D
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

simonokeeffe wrote:

I think the Prem is 3 tiering as much as ours and theyre losing a lot of overseas talent to the euro

Sararcens, Wasps, Exeter can win the league
Bath, Leicester, Saints, Gloucester, Quinns aiming for 4th through 6th
Rest avoiding drop/happy to be there

But we have 5 teams that can or have won the league recently. Then Ulster, Ospreys in the playoffs/Europe tier

The big difference between leagues is the English media can only see the good things about the premiership while the Celtic media can only see bad things about the pro14.

For instance we're all led to believe the AP is more competitive. Well here's a comparison of the bookies prices to win the competition of the first 6 teams in each league.

AP.......... Position....... Pro14
6/5........... 1st.......... 6/4
11/4......... 2nd.......... 3/1
4/1........... 3rd.......... 5/1
12/1......... 4th.......... 13/2
16/1.......... 5th.......... 12/1
40/1.......... 6th.......... 18/1

But it's the bottom teams that are always mentioned when comparing leagues for some reason. You'd never hear the bottom teams being compared in soccer leagues.
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

mildlyinterested wrote:any team coached by MOC should be worried.
Didn't we win our last piece of silverware under him?
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

@dropkick yeah its the difference in mentalities, English think theyre the best at everything, Celts tend to be miserable, plus nationalism and inter country loathing and rivalry feeds into it
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Apparently ticket sales for the game in the US are about 10k. Really screwed the pooch using Sarries for this.
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles