Aviva Premiership: something exciting happens

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Re: Aviva Premiership: something exciting happens

Post by Peg Leg »

paddyor wrote:Because they'll just inflate their "takings" with sponsorship from the owners.

He's talking out of both sides of his mouth there wrt Nigel Wray.
Is there anything they could do to stop owners taking money back out if they did do that?
At least then they wouldn't actually making such massive losses.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Leicester Tigers have failed to make the play-offs for the first time in 14 years. Many reasons being discussed on the BBC, but as a Leinster fan I can't help but think they are missing a MoC'Whopper of an explanation...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/43989089
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

domhnallj wrote:Leicester Tigers have failed to make the play-offs for the first time in 14 years. Many reasons being discussed on the BBC, but as a Leinster fan I can't help but think they are missing a MoC'Whopper of an explanation...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/43989089

I heard the environment is great.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

The Anglo-Welsh Cup will be replaced next season by a 12-team competition involving solely Premiership sides.
So much for "Hands across the Severn"!
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

blockhead wrote:The Anglo-Welsh Cup will be replaced next season by a 12-team competition involving solely Premiership sides.
There is a replacement for the B&I coming as well but details are not fully agreed yet, no doubt this will make the Welsh get serious now
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Gustard is taking the Harlequins gig.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

blockhead wrote:The Anglo-Welsh Cup will be replaced next season by a 12-team competition involving solely Premiership sides.
In hindsight the PRL were merely trying to undermine the Pro12/14 using the Welsh as their stalking horse.
The goalposts were moved dramatically when the two SA teams joined the Pro12.
Realising that the game was up, the PRL raised the drawback and left the Welsh to their own devices.
This plays nicely into the WRU's hands regarding finally adopting the Irish model.
Ultimately Wales are going to become more competitive as a result and their club teams will become more competitive in Europe too.
The curious thing about all this is - Who initiated the Pro14?
Was it the Pro12 or the South Africans?
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Oldschool wrote:
In hindsight the PRL were merely trying to undermine the Pro12/14 using the Welsh as their stalking horse.
Realising that the game was up, the PRL raised the drawback and left the Welsh to their own devices.
This plays nicely into the WRU's hands regarding finally adopting the Irish model.
Ultimately Wales are going to become more competitive as a result and their club teams will become more competitive in Europe too.
No need for hindsight, it was patently obvious to everyone bar the Stockholm syndrome'd Welsh.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

blockhead wrote:
Oldschool wrote:
No need for hindsight, it was patently obvious to everyone bar the Stockholm syndrome'd Welsh.
With the money in the Top 14 and the expansion of the Pro14 to include more South African Super rugby sides and North American franchises the English premiership looks like it's falling well off the game. Particularly as pretty much every club is losing money and has no sustainable business model.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Angelsea Angst
Bookworm

Post by Angelsea Angst »

Oldschool wrote:
A few years ago the Welsh Regions seemed to be enthusiastic about leaving the Pro 12 and joining the Aviva Premiership. Have they changed their mindset on that issue?
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Angelsea Angst wrote:
Oldschool wrote:
A few years ago the Welsh Regions seemed to be enthusiastic about leaving the Pro 12 and joining the Aviva Premiership. Have they changed their mindset on that issue?
No it is just the English don't want them
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Oldschool wrote:

Useful idiots comes to mind. That might be a little harsh but it's how the English viewed the Welsh. The Welsh and especially Scots got a nice deal from BT from breaking away in the European power struggle a few years back so there were some benefits in the relationship.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Saracens, the best team in Europe at the moment........apparently :shock:

http://www.punditarena.com/rugby/smcmah ... beat-well/
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

LeinsterLeader wrote:Saracens, the best team in Europe at the moment........apparently :shock:

But it’s Stephen Jones so it doesn’t count
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

ronk wrote:
LeinsterLeader wrote:Saracens, the best team in Europe at the moment........apparently :shock:

But it’s Stephen Jones so it doesn’t count
Is it just to be a wum or does he believe this? Is it old age that he forgot the result from the cup quarter final where we beat them fairly comprehensively? I believe it was called the European cup, pretty definitive in terms of who's best in Europe really
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

I didn't watch Saracens beat Exeter, but I believe it was overwhelming. So it's not a mad thought, Saracens are better now than they have been all season, Leinster have had a few very close ones recently.

That said Saracens were incredibly lucky and relied on others to sneak through their European Cup pool. Also pretty lucky to have got to where they could play knockouts in their league.

They were a pretty average team for most of the year but look to be getting back to their dominant best: bring it next year lads, we're waiting.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

“Bruce Craig sounds like the Donald Trump of rugby. He has the same hairstyle,” Eddie Jones said :D

Trouble at mill.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

PRL boss Mark McCafferty sounds 'under pressure', says WRU chairman Gareth Davies

By Gareth Griffiths BBC Wales Sport

Welsh Rugby Union chairman Gareth Davies says Mark McCafferty sounds like a "man under pressure".

Premiership Rugby boss McCafferty criticised Wales playing South Africa in Washington DC last week outside World Rugby's international window.

McCafferty also ruled out shortening the club season to allow the British and Irish Lions extra preparation time.

"I have been baffled by some of the comments he has come out with in the last week," said Davies.

"He sounds like a man under pressure."

The Lions' tour to South Africa tour in 2021 is set to feature a reduced programme of eight games over five weeks.

But McCafferty says reducing the English club season in 2020/21 would be "suicidal" for Premiership Rugby, instead suggesting the Six Nations could be condensed.

It is unclear yet how it will fit into the calendar and McCafferty says Lions' management have shown "disdain" by not contacting Premiership rugby.

Lions board member Davies says an agreement first has to be reached with Sanzaar, the body which operates Super Rugby and the Rugby Championship.

"With the Lions there is a process first of all to be agreed with Sanzaar. At the last board meeting, we agreed we would move forward in terms of agreeing that contract," Davies said.

"So I am a little puzzled why he came out on that attack on that front.

"These things do have to be discussed. The one point I would agree with Mark is to solve this everyone needs to get around the table.

"It seems to me, though, Mark puts Premiership Rugby beyond everything else. A few people will take exception to that."
Lions 'the big brand'

Davies insisted the Lions remained a special concept that should not be devalued.

"The presence and importance of a successful Lions tour can help transform the game," said Davies.

"It attracts so many young viewers and is the big brand in rugby. You only have to see that with what has happened in recent tours, especially in New Zealand last year.

"So it should not be a case of either or. People have to be sensible and pragmatic and not think their competition is the only thing that matters."

The New Zealand tour was dogged by issues over the messy schedule, with the tourists playing 10 games in six weeks, including an opening fixture a matter of days after arrival in Auckland.

Following the drawn series against the All Blacks, head coach Warren Gatland and tour manager John Spencer pleaded for a longer preparation period.

Davies believes the Pro14 appears willing to help the Lions: "The Pro14 have indicated they could shorten the season by a week and you look at the results this season, the league has not done badly in terms of quality.

"I am not sure why the Premiership is different and be treated better than anything else."
Springboks Test 'not for cash'

Davies also defended Wales' one-off Test against South Africa in Washington, pointing to the fact England played the Barbarians the week before out of the Test window.

"It seemed an odd comment to come out with," said Davies.

"Everyone says the South Africa match was played for cash but that is where some of the pundits got it wrong.

"It is not about cash. It was about looking at the American market, blooding youngsters in an environment that will be similar to next year's World Cup.

"If you asked Tomos Williams, Tom Prydie or even George North how important the last game was, they will tell you.

"They enjoyed that totally different experience. We have to think a little bit outside of Offa's Dyke."
'Nobody else matters'

No English-based Welsh players were released for the fixture with Tomas Francis, Luke Charteris and Josh Adams missing out.

McCafferty said it placed an "unnecessary burden" on the clubs and players involved but Davies disagreed.

"Warren said he could not understand the stance PRL took over South Africa and I support him," said Davies.

"We could understand the autumn internationals in terms of taking away players in mid-competition.
Warren Gatland says Wales will celebrate their win over South Africa on Hadleigh Parkes' stag do

"But Josh, Tomas and Luke were metaphorically on the beach last week, doing nothing in terms of [club] rugby.

"What sort of rationale is behind that? I just don't get it.

"They will then also return to their clubs a week earlier than the English players after the tour.

"It seems to be that they think their competition is all important and nobody else matters in this world."
No, but they want everyone else to think that, that's why they keep saying it.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

He is right though, McCafferty is under pressue. RIM are on the verge of going tits-up and the EPRC has basically done a windows restore to 2012
I have Bumbleflex
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Dave Cahill wrote:He is right though, McCafferty is under pressue. RIM are on the verge of going tits-up and the EPRC has basically done a windows restore to 2012
And the clubs have pissed away all the gains they made from the EPRC on wage inflation with no discernable improvement and increasing losses. I'm coming round to the view that we might have overestimated the strength of the PRL. They get circa 9m viewers for a season of the AP, this weekends test matches should at least equal that.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles