Aviva Premiership: something exciting happens

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

ribs
Mullet

Re: Aviva Premiership: something exciting happens

Post by ribs »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Prem Rugby have agreed sale of 27% of their Company to CVC for Stg£200. Limited details but strange deal. Usually you only sell a % below that which can block a takeover (c.26.4%), or you do a deal for a stake of roughly 49%, with a premium for going over 51%.

No details, so hard to tell. Plenty of platitudes from Ian Richie (no conflicts of interest) that RFU are supportive of the deal which will benefit all levels of English Rugby and bring the game to a wider audience - or at least that's what I expecthim to say. McCafferty has pleated on about the "Investment" destined for infrastructure as we have Salary Cap in place for a further two years.

Premiership Rugby and RFU deserve each other. Neither cares about success or the future development of the game, only about Money, Money, Money.
I’m still not clear what CVC get in return? Means premiership is valued at about gbp 800m
...a beautiful weighted pass...it is 3 on 2...it is 3 on 1...Hickie!...Magnificent!
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

ribs wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:Prem Rugby have agreed sale of 27% of their Company to CVC for Stg£200. Limited details but strange deal. Usually you only sell a % below that which can block a takeover (c.26.4%), or you do a deal for a stake of roughly 49%, with a premium for going over 51%.

No details, so hard to tell. Plenty of platitudes from Ian Richie (no conflicts of interest) that RFU are supportive of the deal which will benefit all levels of English Rugby and bring the game to a wider audience - or at least that's what I expecthim to say. McCafferty has pleated on about the "Investment" destined for infrastructure as we have Salary Cap in place for a further two years.

Premiership Rugby and RFU deserve each other. Neither cares about success or the future development of the game, only about Money, Money, Money.
I’m still not clear what CVC get in return? Means premiership is valued at about gbp 800m
Minus what they all owe which probably means they are probably worth feck all squared
ribs
Mullet

Post by ribs »

So cvc get their guaranteed minimum share of the income first each year, the clubs divide up the rest. Works well if income is growing but a real problem if it is shrinking
...a beautiful weighted pass...it is 3 on 2...it is 3 on 1...Hickie!...Magnificent!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

ribs wrote:So cvc get their guaranteed minimum share of the income first each year, the clubs divide up the rest. Works well if income is growing but a real problem if it is shrinking
Sounds more like how a loan works except that it lets owners cash out.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

https://rugby365.com/tournaments/pro14/ ... join-pro14

Never gonna happen......................... I think.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Griquas and Pumas are the next cabs on the Pro14 rank is what I'm hearing - next season or the season after next
I have Bumbleflex
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Dave Cahill wrote:Griquas and Pumas are the next cabs on the Pro14 rank is what I'm hearing - next season or the season after next
I like the sound of that actually
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

There are reports in SA that if negotiations between the Pro14, Union and the teams proceed as scheduled then they'll enter next seasons Celtic Cup as a precursor to joining the Pro14 the following season
I have Bumbleflex
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Dave Cahill wrote:There are reports in SA that if negotiations between the Pro14, Union and the teams proceed as scheduled then they'll enter next seasons Celtic Cup as a precursor to joining the Pro14 the following season
Interesting Dave
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

rooster wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:Griquas and Pumas are the next cabs on the Pro14 rank is what I'm hearing - next season or the season after next
I don't. Brings us up to 26 rounds of Pro14 unless we bin off the extra interpros. We don't need extra games against sub standard opposition.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

The whole point is more teams less games. Will be a few rounds shaved off. Not added on.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

paddyor wrote:
rooster wrote:
I don't. Brings us up to 26 rounds of Pro14 unless we bin off the extra interpros. We don't need extra games against sub standard opposition.
I was hoping that they might start taking it more seriously with4 side a and improve their quality
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

johng wrote:The whole point is more teams less games. Will be a few rounds shaved off. Not added on.
Where do you shave the games though in an 8 team conf?(presumably). Are we really gonna give up the Aviva game vs Munster once every 2 years? I can't see it. Will the Welsh give up their derbies?You'd need some convoluted soup method of doing ti.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

There are loads of ways they could slice and dice it. While preserving the darbys.
The way I've heard it is that there will be less games not more.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

3 extra games per 2 new teams with conferences in current structure. 4 for a straight league.

NFL has 16 games for 32 teams over 17 weekends.

Simplest way to not increase games is to remove some of the in-conference (non-derby) double-headers; round robin or (negative) seeding formula.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

ronk wrote:3 extra games per 2 new teams with conferences in current structure. 4 for a straight league.

NFL has 16 games for 32 teams over 17 weekends.

Simplest way to not increase games is to remove some of the in-conference (non-derby) double-headers; round robin or (negative) seeding formula.
Even better get it up to 20 and have an A league and B league with 2 up 2 down each season these conferences are cr@p in my opinion.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Pro 12 was 22 games + 2 playoffs,
HC 6 games + 3 knockouts. Total 28 - 33 games

A full league pro16 is 30 games + playoffs or extra international. We’d have a backup if the HC was under threat again.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

ronk wrote:Pro 12 was 22 games + 2 playoffs,
HC 6 games + 3 knockouts. Total 28 - 33 games

A full league pro16 is 30 games + playoffs or extra international. We’d have a backup if the HC was under threat again.
An alternative Pro 16 is 4 pools of 4 around location (Irish, Welsh, SA etc). H&A v local sides + play the other 12 once. 18 game season.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

A short season causes problems for Leinster in RDS, Munster in Cork and hurts investments in Ulster and Connacht.

Others probably can live with more attention on less games.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Oh and that pool structure would lead to unbalanced playoffs.

The Pro14 gives a harder fixture list to the Irish provinces (worst for Connacht) but it’s been manageable and has probably increased competition overall.