Aviva Premiership: something exciting happens

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Re: Aviva Premiership: something exciting happens

Post by Peg Leg »

Listened to Birch on the 42. Hard to disagree with his reasoning on the harshness of the sanctions. Very pragmatic viewpoint with the players future's and coaches responsibility at the heart of it
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Peg Leg wrote:Listened to Birch on the 42. Hard to disagree with his reasoning on the harshness of the sanctions. Very pragmatic viewpoint with the players future's and coaches responsibility at the heart of it
He seemed to completely forget that the relegation is due to them being caught three times for salary cap breaches. First time when they and one other club got a wrap over the knuckles in 2015, second time being the Dyson report in November for the previous three seasons and finally for admitting they were breaching it again this season despite only six weeks earlier saying they weren't.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

They just shipped a big loss to Quins.
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

ronk wrote:They just shipped a big loss to Quins.
Ref had a problem with the Sarries Captain as well. (Might have been because of his surname).

https://www.reddit.com/r/rugbyunion/com ... urce=share
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

French outfit Midi-Olympique report that English Premiership side Bath have offered Joe Schmidt the role of head coach "with immediate effect".
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Brian Moore, solicitor by training and long-time rugby columnist of the Daily Torygraph is now hidden behind an annoying pay-wall and hence is read a lot less often than before. However, he still tends to be one of the most astute commentators on the English rugby scene and his views on the current status of the Sarries saga are worthy of consideration. His top 10 legal and PR pieces of advice to Sarries re the "Salary Cap" story are as follows:
  • Do not claim regulations you scrutinised and agreed to abide by are now illegal, especially when your two main witnesses contradict that submission;
    Do not claim the cap hinders you in Europe when you are three-time and current winners. That submission, added to your claim that you were within the cap, means you either were not being truthful, or the point is nonsense;
    Do not submit a witness statement on claimed matters of fact that appears to be largely a cut and paste from the testimony of another person (as then chief executive Mitesh Velani did);
    Do not allege a main witness (Mark McCafferty) is untruthful and some evidence is inaccurate if you cannot prove it. This undermines asserations on other issues;
    Do not angrily say one of the most respected judges in England got it wrong because your legal advisers tell you so. His opinion is what matters and theirs has been confounded;
    Do not threaten to appeal and then fail to do so. It look weak and lessens the impact of any later threats;
    Do not selectively brief supposedly supportive journalists. I do not care: it makes no difference to my opinion and my job does not require this, but most do, and they will not give you the benefit of the doubt when they later write;
    Do not assume the full report may not become publicly available. If you make claims about what it said you will be judged accordingly;
    Do not contend the phrase "not deliberate" means the panel thought you have acted innocently. The judgement was very critical of you and rules that you acted recklessly and your behaviour was egregious;
    Do not initially refuse to apologise and then later apologise. Nobody believes it is sincere and it suggests that you knew you were wrong but did not have the courage to admit it - that, or your values are awry;
His single piece of positive advice was:

Do apologise as fully and early as you can and take your punishment without complaint and certainly without claiming you have been hard done to, when you know the panel did you a favour and halved the agreed sanctions.

Given the source of these comments, I consider that they shed an important perspective on this entire matter.
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

looking at their team sheet it was their seconds...most of their players on the special salary were away on 6N duty.

We will, without doubt, meet a side that will have all their focus on winning the champions cup this season before they get relegated.
Despite details emerging that the players were very much aware of the "special arrangements", they still see it has having done nothing wrong and I guess will do their best against us.

Should be a cracking game...and a big test for us. Home advantage will help, but, I think we should brace ourselves for the "poor victim" and "everyone is against us" headspace they will be in.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

MylesNaGapoleen wrote:
looking at their team sheet it was their seconds...most of their players on the special salary were away on 6N duty.

We will, without doubt, meet a side that will have all their focus on winning the champions cup this season before they get relegated.
Despite details emerging that the players were very much aware of the "special arrangements", they still see it has having done nothing wrong and I guess will do their best against us.

Should be a cracking game...and a big test for us. Home advantage will help, but, I think we should brace ourselves for the "poor victim" and "everyone is against us" headspace they will be in.
That outlook is being laughed out of court by the English rugby media and Social Media generally. There is little or no sympathy for the Sarries players as more specific details have emerged about the details of the deal regarding Itoje's Image Rights and some of the property transactions emerge.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Ed Griffiths has resigned as Saracens interim chief executive, less than a month after returning to the club
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

My money is on Mark McCafferty to take over - if theres an organisation f%~king things up somewhere, Marky Mc has to be in there somewhere
I have Bumbleflex
locho
Bookworm

Post by locho »

blockhead wrote:Ed Griffiths has resigned as Saracens interim chief executive, less than a month after returning to the club
seemingly had to resign due to be under investigation for acting as an unauthorised player agent while employed by Middlesex Cricket!! These guys are hillarious!! :clap: :clap:
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

locho wrote:
blockhead wrote:Ed Griffiths has resigned as Saracens interim chief executive, less than a month after returning to the club
seemingly had to resign due to be under investigation for acting as an unauthorised player agent while employed by Middlesex Cricket!! These guys are hillarious!! :clap: :clap:
jayziz! are there any more wheels that can fall off that shambles?
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Saracens have been docked a further 70 points to ensure the already-relegated club will finish last in the Premiership table.
The sanction is on top of the separate 35-point deduction imposed in November
ChrisUppy
Graduate

Post by ChrisUppy »

Luke Pearce has appointed Manu Vunipola the new CEO.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

blockhead wrote:Saracens have been docked a further 70 points to ensure the already-relegated club will finish last in the Premiership table.
The sanction is on top of the separate 35-point deduction imposed in November
:lol:

Shambles!
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

ChrisUppy wrote:
Under-rated gag

They really are a club coming unstuck at the seams. This is a further deduction of 70 points, i.e. they have had 105pts deducted [source: https://www.premiershiprugby.com/news/u ... rugby-club ].

Table: https://www.premiershiprugby.com/gallag ... hip/#table
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

hugonaut wrote:
ChrisUppy wrote:
Under-rated gag

They really are a club coming unstuck at the seams. This is a further deduction of 70 points, i.e. they have had 105pts deducted [source: https://www.premiershiprugby.com/news/u ... rugby-club ].

Table: https://www.premiershiprugby.com/gallag ... hip/#table
incredible. only a matter if time before they have to hand back their premiership trophies? I know it wasn't part of the salary cap rules at the moment (premiership rugby are changing that in future - significant breaches like this will mean trophies returned) but it seems like the only decent thing to do now.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Hasn't a deal been done where they are allowed keep the trophies as long as they aren't displayed anywhere public?
I have Bumbleflex
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Dave Cahill wrote:Hasn't a deal been done where they are allowed keep the trophies as long as they aren't displayed anywhere public?
Indeed

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/sara ... -z30ln5l8c
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

neill_m wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:Hasn't a deal been done where they are allowed keep the trophies as long as they aren't displayed anywhere public?
Indeed

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/sara ... -z30ln5l8c
Getting a bit silly now.
What's the punishment if they display them?