Abuse of Officials

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

FrankBurke
Mullet

Abuse of Officials

Post by FrankBurke »

I was on the Anglesea Terrace for the Ulster game last night.

In the second half a couple of occasions someone near me shouted on several occasions
"Fitzmonkey, can't you see they're (Ulster) offside?"

Indeed John Lacey did give us two penalties for Ulster fringing offside, possibly on the intervention on the touch judge, Peter Fitzgibbon.

The shouted term "Fitzmonkey" could be heard be all on the terrace and, I suspect, by Peter Fitzgibbon. Two thoughts come to mind
Firstly using a pejorative term such as was used is more likely to get the match officials back up and they are less likely to give us the decision.
Secondly, and more importantly, use of such a term can be grossly insulting and hurtful. Match officials are human; they make mistakes as all of us do. BUT they are also entitled to respect as human beings.

Refereeing is tough. I did it once and that was enough for me. I was concentrating on the game so much I couldn't enjoy it.

I recall a Scottish ref retired early a few years ago (Changeling). Was it because of verbal abuse from spectators?
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Abuse of Officials

Post by simonokeeffe »

FrankBurke wrote:I was on the Anglesea Terrace for the Ulster game last night.

In the second half a couple of occasions someone near me shouted on several occasions

Indeed John Lacey did give us two penalties for Ulster fringing offside, possibly on the intervention on the touch judge, Peter Fitzgibbon.

The shouted term "Fitzmonkey" could be heard be all on the terrace and, I suspect, by Peter Fitzgibbon. Two thoughts come to mind
Firstly using a pejorative term such as was used is more likely to get the match officials back up and they are less likely to give us the decision.
Secondly, and more importantly, use of such a term can be grossly insulting and hurtful. Match officials are human; they make mistakes as all of us do. BUT they are also entitled to respect as human beings.

Refereeing is tough. I did it once and that was enough for me. I was concentrating on the game so much I couldn't enjoy it.

I recall a Scottish ref retired early a few years ago (Changeling). Was it because of verbal abuse from spectators?
Odo from Deep Space Nine was a ref?
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

simonokeeffe wrote:
Knew there must be some reason I couldn't stand him and questioned his parentage, affiliations, and sexual orientations as well as his eyesight every time he came on the telly box.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

fourthirtythree wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:
Knew there must be some reason I couldn't stand him and questioned his parentage, affiliations, and sexual orientations as well as his eyesight every time he came on the telly box.
he was great as the priest in the movie of M*A*S*H though
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

fourthirtythree wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:

Why you hating on Odo? He was far from the least likeable character in DS9
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Deep Space Nine.........is that the one with 7 of 9 in it?
Remember her, 7 of 9?
I'll be back in two minutes.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

blockhead wrote:Deep Space Nine.........is that the one with 7 of 9 in it?
Remember her, 7 of 9?
Jerri Ryan
Alternative Ulster
Graduate

Post by Alternative Ulster »

Nice bottle of bass
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

simonokeeffe wrote:
Remember her, 7 of 9?
Jerri Ryan
I know its a Sunday, but WTF.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSPO1LWc3Fg
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Remember her, 7 of 9?
That was Voyager wasn't it?

In any case, ST:TNG had the biggest collection of bellends starting with Troy, Ryker, the android and the blind guy to Troys mother, the doctors son (a punchable little creep if ever there was one) and the klingon. :D
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

domhnallj wrote:
Remember her, 7 of 9?

In any case, ST:TNG had the biggest collection of bellends starting with Troy, Ryker, the android and the blind guy to Troys mother, the doctors son (a punchable little creep if ever there was one) and the klingon. :D

It was Voyager that had 7 of 9 in it. Now Neelix from Voyager there was a twerp you would love to punch in the face repeatedly
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

RoboProp wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote:

Why you hating on Odo? He was far from the least likeable character in DS9
Because he was a referee. Can't help it. Must. Hurl. Abuse...
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

RoboProp wrote:
domhnallj wrote:
Remember her, 7 of 9?

It was Voyager that had 7 of 9 in it. Now Neelix from Voyager there was a twerp you would love to punch in the face repeatedly
Neelix (actor) was the orderly who cares for Kevin Costner at the start of Dances with Wolves
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

If you hear that thing either tell the idiot to shut the fock up or report it to the stewards/branch.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Flash Gordon wrote:

If you hear that thing either tell the idiot to shut the fock up or report it to the stewards/branch.
Sorry but thats a load of mebollix. Call a steward for calling a ref by his widely used nickname? Please. The problem isn't that people call him names, its that he is there to be called names in the first place. He is useless, and if his ego can't take being told so, he should either get better or get lost.

One of the Changlengs did resign a few years ago due to verbal abuse his brother received. Unfortunately, it was the SRU doling it out, and it was along the lines of "we're firing you because you're so very sh!t" and the brother hissied off in sympathy
I have Bumbleflex
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

It's just so ignorant though: surely gibbons are apes (albeit lesser apes) rather than monkeys. It's that sort of detail that should set us apart from fans of other teams.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Perhaps a compromise - Fitzhuman.
He is after only human so why are we surprised when he makes a few boobs.
I actually think he has improved quite a bit this season and so perhaps he has earned his elevation to human level.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

fourthirtythree wrote:It's just so ignorant though: surely gibbons are apes (albeit lesser apes) rather than monkeys. It's that sort of detail that should set us apart from fans of other teams.
he looks like Penfold from Danger Mouse, we could call him that?
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Dave Cahill wrote:The problem isn't that people call him names, its that he is there to be called names in the first place. He is useless, and if his ego can't take being told so, he should either get better or get lost.
Now THATS a load of mebollix :). I've no problem shouting at a referee, in fact I think its partly the fans job to pressure the referee if possible, however a specific name like that is too personal for me. No justification for it.
fourthirtythree wrote:It's just so ignorant though: surely gibbons are apes (albeit lesser apes) rather than monkeys. It's that sort of detail that should set us apart from fans of other teams.
lol, very good.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

I said it before I'll say it again, Fitz forms a prefix to patronymic surnames of Anglo-Norman origin. This usage derives from the Norman fiz / filz , prononciation: /fits/ (dialectal for French fils < Latin filius), meaning "son of". Gibbons are the small apes in the family Hylobatidae.

Succinctly, son of ape