Edinbok concerns

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Edinbok concerns

Post by simonokeeffe »

mispost

whats to stop the players that do shine for Edinburgh on 40k a year fecking off the minute a french or PRL club come calling and then Scottish rugby is left with nothing
Last edited by simonokeeffe on January 10th, 2014, 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

England actually had 14 players in their world cup squad born outside of England belive it or not.

Solomans is doing the right thing by signing quality players such as Du Preez (fans favourite). He is making Edinburagh competitive again which is good as it helps bring people through the gates and thus raises the profile of the sport there, thus gets more people playing rugby.
Embra were are shambles last season and needed a serious overhaul of players and staff and that is what Solomans is doing now. It may harm the national team now (imo it doesn't as most of the players that were starting last year are not good enough for Scotland anyway) but in the long term this will help the game in Edinburagh and Scotland.

The Edinburagh fans that I have seen, seem very happy with the way things are going.
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by enby »

Keith wrote:England actually had 14 players in their world cup squad born outside of England belive it or not.

Solomans is doing the right thing by signing quality players such as Du Preez (fans favourite). He is making Edinburagh competitive again which is good as it helps bring people through the gates and thus raises the profile of the sport there, thus gets more people playing rugby.
Embra were are shambles last season and needed a serious overhaul of players and staff and that is what Solomans is doing now. It may harm the national team now (imo it doesn't as most of the players that were starting last year are not good enough for Scotland anyway) but in the long term this will help the game in Edinburagh and Scotland.

The Edinburagh fans that I have seen, seem very happy with the way things are going.
Totally disagree with you there Keith. How is Scottish rugby going to develop if one of their 2 professional sides is only playing a couple of Scots on their first XV? The better young Scottish players will end up playing for low end English clubs if they're lucky. Rugby is stagnant enough in Scotland as it is and it can only get worse if this situation continues.The IRFU stance on NIQs is a far better policy than the free for all which the Scots seem happy to allow.
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

enby wrote:
Keith wrote:England actually had 14 players in their world cup squad born outside of England belive it or not.

Totally disagree with you there Keith. How is Scottish rugby going to develop if one of their 2 professional sides is only playing a couple of Scots on their first XV? The better young Scottish players will end up playing for low end English clubs if they're lucky. Rugby is stagnant enough in Scotland as it is and it can only get worse if this situation continues.The IRFU stance on NIQs is a far better policy than the free for all which the Scots seem happy to allow.

I explained it already how I think it will help. If Edinburagh are competitive again then it will raise the profile of the game there.

How would Scotish rugby improve with Embra getting hammered week in week out like last season? Do you think kids will want to watch or play rugby after seeing their team getting smashed every week? They are bringing in quality players and guys like Du Preez will eventually become SQ.
I'd imagine that Embra will eventually be told to produce Scottish players, that will all come in time but for now the main priority is to get Embra competitive in the league again.
This will benifit them in the long, long term trust me.

You have to remember that Leinster and Munster (even Ulster still have their SA identity to this day!) were filled with foreign players not so long ago. But look at the results of it now, it helped long term as it got us competing in the top comps thus raising the profile of the game in Ireland. Now we have thousands of kids wanting to play rugby because of the success of those teams.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

jimbobjoe wrote:I just heard rumour that Edinburgh are considering a switch to Raeburn place in Stockbridge, this is where Edinburgh Academicals play and is in the north part of the city. Capacity is currently 5000 which would suit their needs just fine for most games or they could expand slightly. Larger ones could be moved to Murrayfield. George Watson's and George Heriot's alumni may be unhappy about visiting their rival's patch for home games though.

Other stadiums in the area are Meadowbank which has an athletics track and is fairly old afaik, Easter Road which is Hibs home ground and is still too big and Tynecastle (Hearts) which is old and too big.
Accies is the club where we had the camping ground for fans before the HEC Final in Murrayfield. Lovely club with very welcoming people, they have been planning a big development of the site for some time - I guess that must have happened or be happening if Edinburgh are planning to move there.
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

jezzer wrote:Accies is the club where we had the camping ground for fans before the HEC Final in Murrayfield. Lovely club with very welcoming people, they have been planning a big development of the site for some time - I guess that must have happened or be happening if Edinburgh are planning to move there.
Still at proposal stage apparently..

http://www.edinburghaccies.com/raeburn-place/