New French Top 14 TV Deal

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Re: New French Top 14 TV Deal

Post by Peg Leg »

CiaranIrl wrote:I won't be able to justify both Sky & BT next year. Do people think it will be worth keeping the Sky Sports subscription on without having BT? I have a faint hope that Sky will have a heavier weighting of European matches involving Rabo teams, and BT will have more English teams - but I'm sure that's wrong.

What are people planning?
We may possibly see something along the lines of what sky do with the kickyball. For eg. They have every Liverpool game. Depending on what way coverage is spread for the pro 12, I may not opt for either and use sky's broadband to watch some streamed footage.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Vamos los azules
Mullet

Post by Vamos los azules »

CiaranIrl wrote:I won't be able to justify both Sky & BT next year. Do people think it will be worth keeping the Sky Sports subscription on without having BT? I have a faint hope that Sky will have a heavier weighting of European matches involving Rabo teams, and BT will have more English teams - but I'm sure that's wrong.

One of the media reports about the TV deal suggested BT are getting first pick of 3 games involving English teams and sky first pick of 3 games involving non English sides.

I think it will depend on the draw but if that set up is what actually happens I can see Irish provinces v French teams being high priority for sky, but matches between Irish provinces and English teams could get claimed by BT before sky get a chance. Sky gets you Pro 12 as well next season so for Irish fans I would say that's the one to go for if it's one of the two.

I am fully expecting a total stitch up in terms of spread of matches between the two broadcasters when it comes down to it though, particularly for the teams with large fan bases. I can see the likes of Leinster, Munster and Leicester being fought over whereas Saracens and their lack of fans may be less attractive.
"You can’t defend like the boss one week and the cookie man the next".
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Planning on waiting to see what way the games are divided, but if Sky have the Rabo then I will re-subscribe. I get BT as part of having BB with them but again, waiting to see if they renew that deal for subscribers - could end up moving lock stock and barrel to Sky for phone, BB and sports if the cards fall that way.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
leinster4life13
Mullet

Post by leinster4life13 »

HD stream, hdmi to TV, all you need, either that or its down the club.
The Harry Vermass fanclub

Heroes: David Knox, Carlos Spencer, Marc Lieveremont, Ian Madigan.

Villains: Kidney, O'Gara, Phillpe St Andre, Laporte, Cork Con Mafia,Matt O'Connor.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Cheers all. I'll stick with Sky for a bit I reckon. If I end up missing too many European games, I'll probably just drop it and attempt to join the streaming brigade.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

leinster4life13 wrote:HD stream, hdmi to TV, all you need, either that or its down the club.
Great when they work. Some can be immaculate all the way through and others you give up after 15 minutes of constant buffering for a rubbish flash stream.
Lamb of BOD
Enlightened

Post by Lamb of BOD »

Morf wrote:
leinster4life13 wrote:HD stream, hdmi to TV, all you need, either that or its down the club.
Great when they work. Some can be immaculate all the way through and others you give up after 15 minutes of constant buffering for a rubbish flash stream.
I've found that using an ad-blocker significantly improves the quality and strength of the streams
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Lamb of BOD wrote:
Morf wrote:
I've found that using an ad-blocker significantly improves the quality and strength of the streams
I do also. Acestream when working is excellent.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

This deal has been set aside by the Competition Authority in France - more details in the Top14 thread
I have Bumbleflex